• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Pool B: South Africa vs. Samoa (26/09/2015)

No Kriel making a full appearance in the 15? No Bismarck at all? No Lood in the 15? Sod it. Last place in the fantasy league for McFadden.

Our bench certainly has the making of having an impact in the later stages. I think Kriel is there in case JDV screws up and gets lynched off. My guess is that Lood will come in around the 50 minute mark for Victor.

Pienaar and Kirchner out makes me happy but I still feel we are compromizing.

Well, I suspect both Matfield and De Villiers will find the going tough against Samoa and I hate myself for saying this but I kinda am hoping injury will force Meyer's hand again and strengthen our squad.. yes, I'm that frustrated. Its not as if those two's supposed magical leadership abilities have helped our cause. We have leaders in the team in Louw, Burger, Vermeulen and Strauss who all have captained their provincial/club sides while the front row and FdP, Habana and JPP in the backs also add more than enough experience and aren't actual passengers (well, assuming our wingers get more opportunities). And its not as if Etzebeth and Le Roux are rookies at 38 and 28 caps respectively.

Drop the dead weight, Meyer! We will probably have enough for Samoa but we can't afford passengers as we probably had enough for Japan last weekend as well. We took a gamble on selections and were trying to force it against Japan and we all know how that panned out. We are doing so again even if to a lesser extent. When will we learn? Its John Smit 2011 all over again but on an incomparably bigger scale.

The only real problem I have with this team would be Jean de Villiers and Victor Matfield. Both of these players are way past their prime and are according to me holding the team back.

I think with the selected team we will win Samoa, but it will be a very close match (5 points). For the Boks to give me confidence in them again I would need to see them win this match with at least 20 points. (I know that won't happen)

Samoa will have a day less of rest, wonder how important a factor that'll be.
South Africa by 15.

This will probably go down as the match of the week. Expect some big collisions. I think this is the best side Samoa can field from their 31 man squad.

Key players for Samoa is their loosies, and Nanai Williams

Good luck to my springbok brothers.
Samoa by 3

1. Sakaria Taulafo
2. Motu Matu'u
3. Anthony Perenise
4. Teofilo Paulo
5. Iosefa Tekori
6. TJ Ioane
7. Jack Lam
8. Ofisa Treviranus (c)

9. Kahn Fotuali'i
10. Mike Stanley
11. Alesana Tuilagi
12. Rey Lee-Lo
13. Paul Perez
14. Ken Pisi
15. Tim Nanai-Williams

Replacements:

16. Ole Avei
17. Viliamu Afatia
18. Census Johnston
19. Faifili Levave
20. Vavae Tuilagi
21. Vavao Afemai
22. Tusi Pisi
23. George Pisi

This would've been the perfect team for me if Jean and Victor were on the bench. Or maybe not even that.

This would've been the perfect team for me if Jean and Victor were on the bench. Or maybe not even that.

Well I think this Samoa match is JDV last chance. Especially after that article on Supersport about him not obeying the coach's orders in the Japan game.

I think the leadership group has learnt a hard lesson in that Japan game, and dropping Bismarck is part of the solution to get all the older guys back in check.

I think with Duane back and with Du Preez finally starting, we are going to be a different animal than the one we were against Japan.

The week turn around is killing me. I wouldn't have minded a 4/5 day wait for this one. Hopefully the guys can it right and Lood and Kriel/De Allende put in performances that force Meyer's hand.. though I don't know what has to happen that hasn't already for us to see the backs of De Villiers and Matfield alongside those of Pienaar and Kirchner.

The week turn around is killing me. I wouldn't have minded a 4/5 day wait for this one. Hopefully the guys can it right and Lood and Kriel/De Allende put in performances that force Meyer's hand.. though I don't know what has to happen that hasn't already for us to see the backs of De Villiers and Matfield alongside those of Pienaar and Kirchner.

Lol, aai my maat.

I feel your pain, it has been really tough these past few days. And I can't wait for Saturday. I think thatif JDV doesn't perform Saturday, he won't be used again (maybe vs. USA).

Well I think this Samoa match is JDV last chance. Especially after that article on Supersport about him not obeying the coach's orders in the Japan game.

Didn't see this article. What were the specifics of the issue? Do we know or are they being vague?

Didn't see this article. What were the specifics of the issue? Do we know or are they being vague?

http://www.supersport.com/Rugby/springboks/news/150923/Jeans_lastchance_saloon

After it emerged that players ignored coaching instructions during the 34-32 loss against the Japanese and "followed their own heads", the group has banded together and tried to deflect as much of the anger emerging from South Africa as possible.

The talk has been of putting things right, but they all know that only a solid victory over the tough Samoans will start the road to redemption for the Boks from the lowest point in their history.

Fancy Samoa to edge this one. They'll be targeting this game as a must win to put pressure on the Scots. Should be a brutal contest.

Fancy Samoa to edge this one. They'll be targeting this game as a must win to put pressure on the Scots. Should be a brutal contest.

Unfortunately at this stage I won't be surprised if Samoa won SA. This is a good year for any of the tier 2 teams to get their first win against SA.

For the Boks to give me confidence in them again I would need to see them win this match with at least 20 points. (I know that won't happen)
Wouldn´t be so sure. Maybe they surprise you positively this time. I think in their place I would be quite motivated after the Japan-Waterloo, eager to show everyone the real Springbok team.
Of course Samoa probably sees its chance to win for the first time and will be even more motivated than before. It will be a hard fight till the 50th minute, but then the Springboks will have the better options on the bench.

Meh I hope we win and JdV has a shocker. It's a shame because he is a great guy and a personal role model, but he's just not good enough anymore. I'm also not certain he has ever been captain material. We should have just captained Louw from the beginning, his place in the squad was never in question and he has proven pedigree as a captain, who cares if he plays overseas.
Anyway once again I've lulled myself into being optimistic about Saturday, but Samoa are a great side on paper, Tim-nanai for instance would probably walk into the SA side.

Wouldn´t be so sure. Maybe they surprise you positively this time. I think in their place I would be quite motivated after the Japan-Waterloo, eager to show everyone the real Springbok team.
Of course Samoa probably sees its chance to win for the first time and will be even more motivated than before. It will be a hard fight till the 50th minute, but then the Springboks will have the better options on the bench.

I am not confident about the bench. Not because they are bad players, but the last few times the bench came on we did worse or nothing changed.

Hard for me to see us winning this game with a big margin (hope I am wrong). Samoa is going to want to win this match badly after seeing that SA is in one of the weakest states they have ever been in. We have lost against Argentina and Japan this year so it won't really surprise me if we lose against Samoa.

So where are my fellow cape townians watching the game? Anyone in town? Will be keen to meet up for a brew if so.

So where are my fellow cape townians watching the game? Anyone in town? Will be keen to meet up for a brew if so.

That sounds like fun. Unfortunately this will be the one match I can' watch. I am at a braai where they don't have a tv....

Latest posts