• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2016 RBS Six Nations] Round 1: Ireland vs. Wales (07/02/2016)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
6Nations.jpg

Ireland.png
Versus%20Challenge.png
Wales.png

Venue: Aviva Stadium
Time: 15:00 GMT

Teams

Ireland: TBA

Wales: TBA

the hype is real when these threads get created! excited for the wales team announcement today, i think ireland's team is being announced tomorrow though

the hype is real when these threads get created! excited for the wales team announcement today, i think ireland's team is being announced tomorrow though

Interesting to see who he picks at full back and in the back row, all other positions are nailed on in my opinion, with James and North on the wings, Roberts and Johny Fox in the centre and 1/2 backs as World cup.

Pretty sure the Ireland team won't be announced until Thursday, usually wait until the last minute to do it.

Edit: Or actually Friday since this is a Sunday match.

Last edited:
Interesting to see who he picks at full back and in the back row, all other positions are nailed on in my opinion, with James and North on the wings, Roberts and Johny Fox in the centre and 1/2 backs as World cup.

yea i agree, most of the team picks itself. fullback is the interesting one, even though williams hasnt had alot of game time after injury i think its likely we'll see him start at fullback. although id be inclined to have him on the bench. have anscombe start (yes i know he has had little time as well but we do not have many options) then williams come on around 60 mins. the last thing we want is for our number 1 fullback a the moment to get injured as soon as he starts playing again. wings id go with north and tom james as you said

Pretty sure the Ireland team won't be announced until Thursday, usually wait until the last minute to do it.

Edit: Or actually Friday since this is a Sunday match.

seeing as teams do not have to be announced until 48 hours before i dont know why some announce their teams so much earlier than this. surely that gives the opposition more time to prepare against them.

One of the least anticipated and least important 6nations in years for us. Schmidt's playing it right with the newer guys in the squad and it'll be interesting to see how he uses them. If we don't get a slam I don't want to finish ahead of Wales, Schmidt getting the Lions would leave him with 9 months less preparation for 2019 than he needs with the squad and he'd certainly pick more Irish players than Gatland which would be another negative. Obviously wouldn't care if he got the Lions on the back of a slam because a slam for is better than anything but a World Cup win and a lot more achievable.

One of the least anticipated and least important 6nations in years for us. Schmidt's playing it right with the newer guys in the squad and it'll be interesting to see how he uses them. If we don't get a slam I don't want to finish ahead of Wales, Schmidt getting the Lions would leave him with 9 months less preparation for 2019 than he needs with the squad and he'd certainly pick more Irish players than Gatland which would be another negative. Obviously wouldn't care if he got the Lions on the back of a slam because a slam for is better than anything but a World Cup win and a lot more achievable.

Have to agree that it is the least anticipated 6 Nations for Ireland.

Regards Schmidt and RWC. Will he stick around. The murmurs are he may return to NZ at end of his current deal and there was a reason deal was as it was.

I think Schmidt is quietly favourite for the Lions anyway. His team would scare the Blacks more than Warrens' would. As for Wales, hope they come out firing this time - notorious slow starters.

Williams has to start at fullback. Liam or JPR, either would do a job.

I think Schmidt is quietly favourite for the Lions anyway. His team would scare the Blacks more than Warrens' would. As for Wales, hope they come out firing this time - notorious slow starters.

I'd say that's unlikely seeing as selection team have said it's Gatlands to loose in a way.

I think we may see a back 3 of North, Amos and Liam Williams. Ireland's game is built around kicking, Amos and Williams can hold their own aerially, whilst still adding plenty in attack. I'm less confident about James', Morgan's and Anscombe's aerial abilities.

It would be a bit of a gamble, given that both Amos and Williams are only just back from injury, but it makes a lot of sense still. Tom James would better suit a game v France or England.

Is Williams match fit enough though? I didn't see the Connacht - Scarlets game on the weekend, but heard he came through fine, but still that's not much rugby to go straight into playing the 6 Nations opener.

If not, I'd be happy to see Anscombe there - he's looked good for the Blues (albeit at 10) and did a good job there in the WC.

James I feel deserves a shot, but dullonian makes a good point that tactically Amos may be the better option for Ireland. As long as Cuthbert isn't picked ahead of either of them, I'll be happy.

Even though the team essentially picks itself, here's the line up I'd like to see:

15: Anscombe / Williams (would prefer Williams wasn't rushed in, but I'll be happy with either)
14. Tom James / Amos (Fairly convinced it'll be Cuthbert...)
13. JD2
12. Jamie Roberts
11. North
10. Biggar
9. Gareth Davies
8. Faletau
7. Tipuric
6. Warbs (expecting Lydiate and Warbs)
5. Alun Wyn Jones
4. Luke Charteris
3. Samson Lee
2. Ken Owens (Expecting Baldwin)
1. Gethin Jenkins

Gatland surely can't risk Williams, Warburton AND Lydiate - remember none of them have games under the belt and match fitness.

Two flankers with just one competitive game in 2016 between them? It's too much of a gamble so I think he will bench Lydiate and switch Sam to blindside.

With Williams looking so bloody strong on Saturday - he was surprisingly robust considering - I think we will see him thrown in and Morgan on the bench.

Although James is in fine form Amos is familiar with our style of play and will be less of a risk so I see him coming in.

Those are really the only conundrums and essentially Gatland is picking from near full strength. The missing players being, notably, Halfpenny and Webb. Williams and Davies do not weaken us in the least

I've never felt confident playing in Ireland but for this one at least I can say I'm not in the least concerned. We can absolutely go out there and give Ireland a torrid time.

That's not to say we will though.

Slow starters? Although we are notorious for it we tend not to ship points like we did and slowly gain a foothold. Last time out in Ireland in August they were all over us for 5 minutes but we tend not to panic anymore. As long as we don't ship points I don't mind a slow start.

We can win, and win well........but then again.......

The common consensus is that Ireland have been really weakened since the world cup with injuries etc but its going to be a much stronger side than the one that lost to Argentina.

Some players who did not play in that match..
Sexton,
SOB
Payne
McCloskey
J Cronin
Stander
Furlong
Marshall
Trimble
Earls to wing

There are others who are in the potential category.
Henderson is the only player who played in that match that you'd consider a big loss.

The main thing will be how the team plays

I was checking back through the last 10 years of this fixture and its 6-4 to Ireland. Ireland have never lost by more than a score in that time and on a couple of occasions have dished out 20+ point drubbings.

Why is this relevant? Well i've always felt there's nothing between the sides in every area bar the tight 5. Ireland have edged it here for me and it ensured, at the very least, they were always competitive.

This year that doesn't look to be the case though. Nathan White, no Henderson, no POC and Devin Toner in ****e form probably gives Wales the edge now. So Ireland are going to have to become more expansive to compensate.

I think there's a huge chorus over here for us to do just that but we'll have to see whether Schmidt is ready to deviate. I hope he does, and not just because i think it increases our chances of winning. Even though we've won the 6N's the last couple of years i've been bored stiff watching our wingers chase Conor Murrays box kicks all day. We're good at it but in Sexton, Henshaw, Earls, Payne etc. we also have players who can do damage with ball in hand. Hope we see it Sunday.

That's a good spot actually. Wales haven't scored 25+ points against Ireland since 2005. Since then, Ireland have hit that 5 times. Wales have only beaten Ireland once in that period when Ireland scored 20+ points. I'm not sure that's a reason to go expansive, as it's hardly a conclusive set of stats, but it does look like the higher scoring the game, the more that will suit Ireland.

I mean, on the one hand that says to Ireland, go expansive, on the other, it tells them they can contain Wales' attack if they keep doing what they've been doing and that gives them a chance.

Gatland surely can't risk Williams, Warburton AND Lydiate - remember none of them have games under the belt and match fitness.

Two flankers with just one competitive game in 2016 between them? It's too much of a gamble so I think he will bench Lydiate and switch Sam to blindside.

With Williams looking so bloody strong on Saturday - he was surprisingly robust considering - I think we will see him thrown in and Morgan on the bench.

Although James is in fine form Amos is familiar with our style of play and will be less of a risk so I see him coming in.

Those are really the only conundrums and essentially Gatland is picking from near full strength. The missing players being, notably, Halfpenny and Webb. Williams and Davies do not weaken us in the least

I've never felt confident playing in Ireland but for this one at least I can say I'm not in the least concerned. We can absolutely go out there and give Ireland a torrid time.

That's not to say we will though.

Slow starters? Although we are notorious for it we tend not to ship points like we did and slowly gain a foothold. Last time out in Ireland in August they were all over us for 5 minutes but we tend not to panic anymore. As long as we don't ship points I don't mind a slow start.

We can win, and win well........but then again.......

I think last time you were in Ireland you got humped off the park in the first half didn't you ? And last years first game Wales really should have lost by 20 to England not 5 . Haskell ran into the post and Attwood scored a try that was disallowed harshly imo

This will be a real toughie for Wales but if they win it will set them up beautifully for the rest of the tournament

You think? I think Gatland has it in the bag provided that Wales don't implode and given he delivered a winning tour last time around and already has a relationship with the Lions committee. Wouldn't be surprised if there is a gentleman's agreement already in place plus it would coincide nicely with his return to NZ after his contract with Wales expires.

Tipuric, Evans, James and Anscombe starting for Wales!

Gareth Anscombe; George North, Jonathan Davies, Jamie Roberts, Tom James; Dan Biggar, Gareth Davies; Rob Evans, Scott Baldwin, Samson Lee, Luke Charteris, Alun Wyn Jones, Sam Warburton (capt), Justin Tipuric, Taulupe Faletau.

Replacements: Ken Owens, Gethin Jenkins, Tomas Francis, Bradley Davies, Dan Lydiate, Lloyd Williams, Rhys Priestland, Alex Cuthbert.

Very happy with this squad on the whole, very strong. Not sure about Cuthbert on the bench but glad to see Tom James get his shot! Glad to see Williams isn't being rushed back but still think he would have been a better bench option as he covers all the back positions.

Latest posts