• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2016 RBS Six Nations] Round 1: Ireland vs. Wales (07/02/2016)

Where does all this Howley bull **** come from, what has he done ? Nothing by way of creativity, all he has done is coached the flare out of several players, if Paul John isn't going to get the gig then perhaps Mark Jones, his influence has had a bearing on 3 of the most gifted backs we have in Liam W, Scott W and Johny Fox.
You say Howley would make a good head coach, he'd struggle to make a good cup of tea, it is him that is holding Wales back as I said earlier we have the best head coach, the best defence coach and the best kicking coach, we have a scrum coach who is improving the front 5 and seems to be improving as a coach all we need to get to that next level is an attack coach who knows how best to attack.
As for Howley being the next Head coach, please God no, Dai Young maybe but not Howley that would be as ****e a decision as was the appointment of Gareth Perfect Hair Davies to the WRU, still if you played for Cardiff you get a leg up I guess. Before anybody comes back saying Dai Young played for Cardiff, he was born in Aberdare (Not a soft city boy)

Never really considered Howleys influence but the game on Sunday proved Wales had one plan and one plan only. If you watch their first attack in the fifth minute they stretched Ireland twice with the pass in behind. Obviously they'd watched how the Argies dismantled us and fancied doing the same. Honestly, we were lucky to stop them that first sequence but from then on Payne and Henshaw largely ignored the dummy runners and just drifted. Wales carried very little threat as a result. On watching it back i find it staggering that for the 74 minutes they didn't adapt and look to vary their attack.

I agree! Wales should have walked that game but had absolutely no attack game!

Bish bash Roberts never let the ball go.....bow legged Williams had white line fever but, unfortunately, it could have been the half way or either 22!! North hardly saw the ball and who was the other winger.....

It was bish bash bosh a la v Australia with little brains and all brawn!

They are surely better than that and made it easy for an Irish team......

Where does all this Howley bull **** come from, what has he done ? Nothing by way of creativity, all he has done is coached the flare out of several players, if Paul John isn't going to get the gig then perhaps Mark Jones, his influence has had a bearing on 3 of the most gifted backs we have in Liam W, Scott W and Johny Fox.
You say Howley would make a good head coach, he'd struggle to make a good cup of tea, it is him that is holding Wales back as I said earlier we have the best head coach, the best defence coach and the best kicking coach, we have a scrum coach who is improving the front 5 and seems to be improving as a coach all we need to get to that next level is an attack coach who knows how best to attack.
As for Howley being the next Head coach, please God no, Dai Young maybe but not Howley that would be as ****e a decision as was the appointment of Gareth Perfect Hair Davies to the WRU, still if you played for Cardiff you get a leg up I guess. Before anybody comes back saying Dai Young played for Cardiff, he was born in Aberdare (Not a soft city boy)

Being a head coach has little to do with how he's currently performing as an attack coach, as he wouldn't be performing that role. He showed in 2013 whilst Gats was away on Lions duty that he's got potential as a head coach, overseeing arguably our best performance in the last few decades against England, where forward dominance was combined with a ruthless edge we haven't seen since. How much of that was due to Howley is certainly up for debate, but after the opening loss to Ireland he managed to turn things around despite Gats not being present. I'm sure he's learn't a lot from Gatland about how to run training camps, man management etc. and those are the qualities of a head coach. I don't want you to agree really, I'm not really aure I'm at all correct, but chucking Howley on the scrap heap would be silly imo.

I would still like to see a change to the coaching, some new ideas from a new coach from outside the current camp. Paul John is a decent shout, Blues attack is probably their strongest area, and he did good things with the 7's side as you mentioned. I don't think Mark Jones is good enough, Scarlets attack hasn't been that great for a number of years imo. Developing players is all well and good, but that's not what's needed at international level, it's about taking already developed players and formulating a game plan to make the most of them.

Honestly I don't know what the answer is. They looked like they were trying to play the ball wider on Sun, but they did it in such a basic and obvious manner that it didn't trouble Ireland's defense. The dummy runners didn't draw defenders, and when it got to the outside backs Liam Williams ended up having to just take contact as there was no space. Hopefully it's something that will just take a little time, with the players having to adapt a little in their roles. I suppose we'll just have to wait and see how the 6 nations develops, see if Wales develop with it.

Being a head coach has little to do with how he's currently performing as an attack coach, as he wouldn't be performing that role. He showed in 2013 whilst Gats was away on Lions duty that he's got potential as a head coach, overseeing arguably our best performance in the last few decades against England, where forward dominance was combined with a ruthless edge we haven't seen since. How much of that was due to Howley is certainly up for debate, but after the opening loss to Ireland he managed to turn things around despite Gats not being present. I'm sure he's learn't a lot from Gatland about how to run training camps, man management etc. and those are the qualities of a head coach. I don't want you to agree really, I'm not really aure I'm at all correct, but chucking Howley on the scrap heap would be silly imo.

I would still like to see a change to the coaching, some new ideas from a new coach from outside the current camp. Paul John is a decent shout, Blues attack is probably their strongest area, and he did good things with the 7's side as you mentioned. I don't think Mark Jones is good enough, Scarlets attack hasn't been that great for a number of years imo. Developing players is all well and good, but that's not what's needed at international level, it's about taking already developed players and formulating a game plan to make the most of them.

Honestly I don't know what the answer is. They looked like they were trying to play the ball wider on Sun, but they did it in such a basic and obvious manner that it didn't trouble Ireland's defense. The dummy runners didn't draw defenders, and when it got to the outside backs Liam Williams ended up having to just take contact as there was no space. Hopefully it's something that will just take a little time, with the players having to adapt a little in their roles. I suppose we'll just have to wait and see how the 6 nations develops, see if Wales develop with it.

jon davies is usually good at dummying and cutting back inside but didnt really have the time and space in this game. im sure they'll be much more clinical in the backs this weekend. we really missed scott williams for this, cant help but feel he would have broken the line at least a few times. we had 0 line breaks the whole game, which is a testament to the irish defence but still, that is pretty poor that nobody made a break.