• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 RBS Six Nations] Round 3: Scotland vs Wales (25/02/2017)

The Scottish back row has some good athletes in it but lacks both the technique and experience of the Welsh back row by some distance, and the Scots were the walking wounded after the France game. Scotland probably went down to Paris with the better ball players but got physically marmalised and I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen again here.

Wales put up a seriously physically intense game against England which they ultimately lost because they couldn't make chances count against England's defence. The Scottish defence isn't as strong and they will be giving up more ball and territory than England did because they'll struggle up front.

If the Scots get some magic start like they did against Ireland they could well take it but I don't see a reliable way for them to do it, so Wales by 10 for me too.

Scotland weren't the first and won't be the last team to be beaten up by France - remember England also lost that battle against France for most of the game. Scotland won't be bullied physically and last week will also have taken its toll on Wales too, even without scores of injured. Right now Wales have the better back row but Scotland are better in many facets of the game. Think it will be close.

Scotland will be relieved to see that bench kept intact which with the exception of Faletau looks pretty ropey.

Scotland will be relieved to see that bench kept intact which with the exception of Faletau looks pretty ropey.

To be fair Faletau looked a shadow of his old self when he came on two weeks ago. He's a class act but it looks like he needs game time before he gets back to his best.

I hope the Scots pull this off, one of many reasons being that it suits us better for RWC seedings, but I don't think I see it happening. Its all well and good to say that past results don't mean anything but they do, Scotland not only have to be better than Wales to win, they'll have to be in a relatively comfortable position late in the game or doubts and mistakes creep in. I honeslty think Ireland still struggle mentally with playing France despite last year being the first game since 2011 we lost to them. The Welsh have more dominance in this tie, aren't exactly a worse outfit and will have got a confidence boost out of the England game Wales by <5.

Scotland give away to many penalties. If Wales don't do what they done against us and kick points on offer they'll win. At half time I don't think there will be 4 points in it but Wales will score a try win by about 7-10.

Scotland give away to many penalties. If Wales don't do what they done against us and kick points on offer they'll win. At half time I don't think there will be 4 points in it but Wales will score a try win by about 7-10.

This, if they give away anywhere near as any as they did against France they will be out of the game. They were very lucky not to concede even more or get a card in that game.

Definitely agree that losing Laidlaw is not a big issue. Yes he kicks well, but he is so slow at the ruck. I felt he cost Scotland a few opportunities in both games by slowing things down. Especially at the end of the first half against Ireland.
As for Russell missing a sitter, he was being hurried by the ref and it fell over, I don't think that's his kicking ability at fault, more letting the moment get to him briefly.

I think if Scotland keep penalties down and compete at the breakdown with quick ball they will win, despite their poor scrum.

Definitely agree that losing Laidlaw is not a big issue. Yes he kicks well, but he is so slow at the ruck. I felt he cost Scotland a few opportunities in both games by slowing things down. Especially at the end of the first half against Ireland.
As for Russell missing a sitter, he was being hurried by the ref and it fell over, I don't think that's his kicking ability at fault, more letting the moment get to him briefly.

I think if Scotland keep penalties down and compete at the breakdown with quick ball they will win, despite their poor scrum.

Actually Russell was hurried by one of the Scotland staff, not the ref. The Scottish staff were worried the ref might go back to check the try and had valid grounds to disallow it so they told him to take the kick before the ref did that.

The ball fell over as he swung at it too. Bit of a perfect storm that no-one is ever likely to allow him to forget. Poor bugger.

The ball fell over as he swung at it too. Bit of a perfect storm that no-one is ever likely to allow him to forget. Poor bugger.

Absolutely correct yet many label it as Russell messing up because they think it makes a better story.

This, if they give away anywhere near as any as they did against France they will be out of the game. They were very lucky not to concede even more or get a card in that game.

It's fair comment but I think the sheer size of the French side is what caused a lot of those penalties.
Wales don't have that sort of power to call on so can they exert the same amount of pressure?

Home advantage to see Scotland through in a tight one.

Tim Visser in for Maitland. A good call imo. Bit harsh on Hamish Watson missing out too, but I guess they'll need all the physicality they can get at the breakdown.

I had a sneaky feeling VC might go with Pyrgos for his game management with a view to bringing Price on as an impact sub against a tired opposition. I imagine Watson will come on at some stage and will be a very good option from the bench if the game is tight in the second half. Dell needed to sit this one out and Gordon Reid should bring a bit more experience to the front row.

Scotland: Stuart Hogg, Tim Visser, Huw Jones, Alex Dunbar, Tommy Seymour, Finn Russell, Alistair Price; Gordon Reid, Fraser Brown, Zander Fagerson, Richie Gray, Jonny Gray, John Barclay, John Hardie, Ryan Wilson.

Replacements: Allan Dell, Ross Ford, Simon Berghan, Tim Swinson, Hamish Watson, Henry Pyrgos, Duncan Weir, Mark Bennett.

5 enforced changes should make me less optimistic for Scotland's chances, but only Visser in for Maitland and Strauss out are big losses for me. Still surprised Bradbury is missing out, especially given the injuries. I'd put him way ahead of Hardie personally as a back row pick.

5 enforced changes should make me less optimistic for Scotland's chances, but only Visser in for Maitland and Strauss out are big losses for me. Still surprised Bradbury is missing out, especially given the injuries. I'd put him way ahead of Hardie personally as a back row pick.

I seem to recall VC making a comment before the campaign about Bradbury not being quite ready for international rugby. I guess Hardie must have proved himself in training and so let's hope he performs well on Saturday. Maitland must be injured if he's not even on the bench. Agree Strauss is a big loss and David Denton would have been a good replacement as ball carrier but he's only just come back from injury.

Last edited:
It really surprises me that nobody thinks Laidlaw is a loss to the side.

Not only is he captain, he's a dead-eye place kicker and keeps everything moving.

I don't really see the problem at the breakdown either - he doesn't threaten much but his service is good (imho) and kicking out of hand is generally on the money.

Maybe I'm just being a little biased.

I don't think anyone is saying they don't see Laidlaw missing as a loss to Scotland. He does manage a game well and he does keep the scoreboard ticking over with his goal kicking, the latter in particular being of particular importance to the Scots. I do worry that that loss might hurt us. At the same time however I'm not at all worried about Price coming in at 9 as a replacement. He's played bloody well for Glasgow at 9 and is a much more dynamic player than Laidlaw. We will miss what Laidlaw brings, there's no doubt, but given that it's pretty much a Glasgow backline, and Russell and Price have already developed a positive partnership together, I think we have to look at the positives in what is a forced oppertunity.

I do believe that most correspondents under estimate the Scottish back row . Wilson is a bit of a beast whilst Hardie and Barclay are nobody's fools . We have the edge in the backs and the Warriors. half back combo knows what it is all about . Scotland by 5 .

I'm hoping north hasn't come back too soon and ends up pulling a muscle again, I wish howlers would Put more faith in our younger talent to blood new players , it's a ridiculous no Owen Williams , Steffy Evans or Keenan Giles again! Why they continue to pick an over the hill Jamie Roberts over younger talent is beyond me! When are these lad gonna get a chance? Not under the Howley/gatland reign that's for sure

Last edited:

Latest posts