• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2019 Six Nations] Ireland vs England (02/02/2019)

George Kruis is a quality lineout operator and we have one of the greatest (and boring and uninspiring, but still...) Lineout practioners of all time as a Coach in Steeeeeve Borthwick.

Our problem is that Kruis can go off the boil around the park and make mistakes defensively. Toner is so effective because, as has been pointed out - he has a consistently positive impact on all the key areas of the game.

To expand on this (and cause some controversy): I think, playing at their best, this England team would and should beat Ireland. We have more players who are capable of a level of performance that their Irish counterparts aren't.

In my opinion, the reason Ireland are the better team (and better individual rugby players for the most part) is because they are so consistently good and always seem to operate at 80-90% of their maximum potential. In part that's coaching, in part it's experience and the rest just seems to be a general temperament that is possibly a product of the two aforementioned things or maybe it's just something in the water across the Irish sea!

Not intending to disrespect the Irish players with this statement - mental strength and consistency of performance are at least as admirable and important as physical ability. If it only came down to the latter, the All Blacks would win every single game they played and Roger Federer would be nowhere near the most successful player of all time.

Looking forward to a good-natured and peaceful meeting of sides at the weekend.

England by 12.

Feels like the result backs this up...

Now let's hope that this win, and 2 tries for Slade despite not playing well, gives him the confidence he needs to actually bring his quality to the international arena, and co time to shove my ore6N words down my throat... with relish
I think playing alongside manu helps

Alongside teo you've got someone who doesn't distribute and doesn't make yards on the crash/draw defenders
It'll feel like he has an acre of space/time with Manu keeping defences interested

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUdge

That backline honestly made me audibly moan at my desk and sink my head into my hands. My boss thought I'd just lost a client or something.

Can you imagine Farrell and Tuilagi trying to defend that channel together? All over the place.

Jesus Christ, I think I'm going to watch the game at home, I daren't run the risk of running into any Irishmen, or other nationalities jumping on the anyone-but-England bandwagon, plus I don't want to be drunk-angry. Just me, tea+biscuits and a loaded pistol. That's how you do it
Looks like I'm going to need another use for that loaded pistol. Firing at the sky in celebration maybe?

I'm officially giving up having opinions on rugby, what the hell do I know. Maybe I should try having some positivity once in a while!

Stockdale doesn't like losing, picking on the smallest lad of the 46 players involved

IIRC, we have to win by 16+ to overtake Wales, though I reserve the right to be wrong.

ETA, no sorry, any win puts us ahead of Wales, 16+ would have put us ahead of Ireland

Damn it... okay, may the comments commence.

Well I'm shocked...I kind of knew England had that kind of performance in them but still felt Ireland would out muscle them.

Laid down a real marker today.

Great performance from England today, the line speed and intensity of the hits won that game. We never allowed Ireland to get going.

Well deserved win for England.

For us I think I'd bring O'Brien in for Stander. He had good workrate but didn't offer too much else and I feel O'Brien would bring that workrate and some extra oomph due to being that much fresher.

It will be interesting to see what happens at fullback. Henshaw had a better second half but that's not difficult. If Schmidt really see's this as a long term option he has to stick with it for Scotland at least. Luckily for Henshaw I don't think Russell would expose him as much today. If Earls is out I'd consider putting Conway in ahead of Larmour.

Great win, England. Thoroughly deserved.

Hopefully we learn a few lessons from this. Ireland have had problems chasing games and scoring tries in big games for the entirety of the Schmidt era. Pundits and fans were acting like we were world beaters after last year's Grand Slam, but realistically we could have easily lost three of those games. Our recent success has papered over a lot of cracks, and hopefully this will wake people up to the fact that there are still a lot of issues to be addressed if this team is to reach a final in the World Cup.

But who knows, maybe the bus was late again.

I will say that I'm very glad now that we spent a week listening to the Irish pundits rework our World Cup squad based on Henshaw's potential at fullback. That seems like time well spent now, for sure.

Congrats England... a massive victory, a massive bonus point and massive media darlings... at least for the week.

Ireland didn't really get going today (or weren't allowed) but I have no doubt that they'll be meaner and better because of it. Although Murrayfield has become a real tough place to go, I have a sneaky feeling Scotland might get absolutely broken next week.

Latest posts