• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2019 Six Nations] Ireland vs England (02/02/2019)

What a performance by England. Ireland weren't their best standard, but certainly not playing badly. But also that's credit to England who threw them off their game and didn't let them get going. Key differences from previously though is they kept it up for 80 minutes.

England are well worth their win, I'll have no problem with the result. It's just impressive that the fans can maintain a martyr complex about the refereeing even when they're winning the game.

Whilst watching a lead get closed by some awfull reffing, why not talk bad reffing regardless or winning or loosing.

For us I think I'd bring O'Brien in for Stander. He had good workrate but didn't offer too much else and I feel O'Brien would bring that workrate and some extra oomph due to being that much fresher.

I've only watched Munster in Europe but Stander has looked poor every time I've seen him recently - don't know if he's carrying an injury or he's just bollocksed but he's a shadow of his former self.
There was a point in the first half where he had Slade one on one and Slade outmuscled him to buy time for the support. 6 months ago Slade would be picking his ribs out of the stands.
SOB was a noticeable step up in physicality

On a clear replay, Slade's first try was fine. Ball goes forward from momentum not hands. He's just onside.

Honestly the best thing to happen to us, this one will stick in their memory, better for it to happen now than in the WC like in previous tournaments.

I've only watched Munster in Europe but Stander has looked poor every time I've seen him recently - don't know if he's carrying an injury or he's just bollocksed but he's a shadow of his former self.
There was a point in the first half where he had Slade one on one and Slade outmuscled him to buy time for the support. 6 months ago Slade would be picking his ribs out of the stands.
SOB was a noticeable step up in physicality

I think he's been wrecked for a long time but then I thought that going into the Autumn and he proved me wrong there. He plays an incredibly attritional position and plays it in an incredibly attritional way. Unlike most backrowers he has a pretty good injury profile and hasn't had the long layoff most of them get. I think mini break would do him wonders going into the WC.

Surprised Mako got MoM. I'd have given it to May.

Even though Manu and Binny weren't at their very barnstorming best, their physicality means people can't take liberties with us. And hats off to Wilson and Curry too.

Honestly the best thing to happen to us, this one will stick in their memory, better for it to happen now than in the WC like in previous tournaments.

However, I think it has shown other teams a weakness in Ireland. They have built their team around doing the basics very well and controlling the pace of the game, wait for the moment to strike when they are ready, which is very effective. If you try to slow the game down, Ireland won't care as they can still control the play. However speeding it up and not letting them settle really shook Ireland today. It's bloody difficult to do, which is why Ireland will still be one of the favourites going into the WC regardless of how the rest of the tournament goes, but it does give teams a game plan to build on against Ireland.

Surprised Mako got MoM. I'd have given it to May.

Even though Manu and Binny weren't at their very barnstorming best, their physicality means people can't take liberties with us. And hats off to Wilson and Curry too.

I said it in the Autumn when Manu pulled the defence for a try. He's far more effective than Te'o just by his presence and causes headaches for the opposition.

Latest posts