• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2019 Six Nations] Italy vs Wales (09/02/2019)

yea the BR is a problem with so many injuries , I know they want to get as many players up to speed but, to go for so many I hope it doesn't come back to bit us, I can see Nivadi at 8 and Moriarty replacing him for the last 30

If Young wasn't playing in England he would have gotten a chance ages ago and Wainwright has probably been the form Welsh 6 this season... so it's not as if we're throwing a couple of nobodies into the dragons den.

This is the only 'competitive' test match per year where this can be done... so may as well take full advantage.

10 changes. Kind of understandable, but disrespects the tournament a little bit in my eyes.

It's overtly telling Italy that they're not good enough (which they aren't). Wouldn't be thrilled if I'd shelled out to go and see this.

I dont agree that the selection is disrespecting Italy.
Wales have a number of first-choice players out with long term injuries, and a few carrying minor knocks and ****les from last week who they need fit to play England.
Its a strong bench - to my mind, disrespecting would have been a bench of players not really up to international standard. The fact its strong indicates Gatland is keeping a backup if Italy do do better than anticipated.
You need to try out your second choice players at some point, or they will never progress.

10 changes. Kind of understandable, but disrespects the tournament a little bit in my eyes.

It's overtly telling Italy that they're not good enough (which they aren't). Wouldn't be thrilled if I'd shelled out to go and see this.
I know what you mean in a way, but Gatland's job isn't to respect Italy or to make travelling fans feel the money was well spent, it's to do what is best for Wales on the pitch, in games like this that means focussing on the future as much as the present. If you're a supporter of Welsh rugby you should have the same priorities.

Last edited:
If Young wasn't playing in England he would have gotten a chance ages ago and Wainwright has probably been the form Welsh 6 this season... so it's not as if we're throwing a couple of nobodies into the dragons den.

This is the only 'competitive' test match per year where this can be done... so may as well take full advantage.
yeah, there are plenty in there Beared and ball will do a job and the bench is loaded so no worries, the back row will be where the coaches are looking and if Wainwright or Young perform then I think Nevadi will make room for one of them which we be an injustice.

yeah, there are plenty in there Beared and ball will do a job and the bench is loaded so no worries, the back row will be where the coaches are looking and if Wainwright or Young perform then I think Nevadi will make room for one of them which we be an injustice.

It's definitely one of the more interesting subplots... Italy have a pretty good back row too so should be a solid challenge.

Italy: 15 Jayden Hayward, 14 Edoardo Padovani, 13 Michele Campagnaro, 12 Luca Morisi, 11 Angelo Esposito, 10 Tommaso Allan, 9 Guglielmo Palazzani, 8 Sergio Parisse (c), 7 Abraham Steyn, 6 Sebastian Negri, 5 Dean Budd, 4 David Sisi, 3 Simone Ferrari, 2 Leonardo Ghiraldini, 1 Nicola Quaglio

Replacements: 16 Luca Bigi, 17 Cherif Traore', 18 Tiziano Pasquali, 19 Federico Ruzza, 20 Marco Barbini, 21 Edoardo Gori, 22 Ian McKinley, 23 Tommaso Benvenuti

A better selection than last week but does Padovani have pace for the wing? General lack of pace in the backline. Keen to see 10, 12 & 13 combination though. Have to try something and dropping Castello was something I'd called for.

A lot of the guys starting on Saturday have played a decent amount of rugby for Wales this year at least - plus the last time we saw this kind of line up we scored 74 points so hopefully a sign that they'll at least be able to gel in attack.

A lot of the guys starting on Saturday have played a decent amount of rugby for Wales this year at least - plus the last time we saw this kind of line up we scored 74 points so hopefully a sign that they'll at least be able to gel in attack.

I'm sure that Italy will be superpumped for the game reading the headline that 'Wales have made 10 changes' but a lot of the boys coming in are there or thereabouts 1st choice anyway.

This could come back to bite me but I still see nothing less than a bp win.

Well thats Tomos Williams confidence blown to bits. Cant get a run and gets replaced by the most vanilla 9 in world rugby. Wales will not get quick go forward ball and the italians can stack up and wait to hit Biggar as they know what Ales Davies will do. Slow slow slow, move rhe ball about then pass it to 10 every time. He offers no running threat and no xfactor.

I really like Welsh depth and think they have relatively small drop off across multiple positions. I also like them with Watkin at 12 and Liam at 15. I cant say I know all of those Welsh forwards, so I'm struggling to pick a margin of victory. If Wales still have superiority at the breakdown this could get fairly ugly. But I'll go for:

Wales by 17

I think Watkin will do some defensive damage to the Italians. He is very good in the contact and with the mobile jackling back row we have there should be a few turn overs on Sat. We now lack the quick threat half backs to exploit it though.

I know I can joke about Biggar but i think his play coincided with Gatlands most conservative years - it's not all on Biggar. I think he will do plenty damage here with Watkin and JD2 outside him with Gatland rediscovering a bit more attacking ambition.

Italy: 15 Jayden Hayward, 14 Edoardo Padovani, 13 Michele Campagnaro, 12 Luca Morisi, 11 Angelo Esposito, 10 Tommaso Allan, 9 Guglielmo Palazzani, 8 Sergio Parisse (c), 7 Abraham Steyn, 6 Sebastian Negri, 5 Dean Budd, 4 David Sisi, 3 Simone Ferrari, 2 Leonardo Ghiraldini, 1 Nicola Quaglio

Replacements: 16 Luca Bigi, 17 Cherif Traore', 18 Tiziano Pasquali, 19 Federico Ruzza, 20 Marco Barbini, 21 Edoardo Gori, 22 Ian McKinley, 23 Tommaso Benvenuti

A better selection than last week but does Padovani have pace for the wing? General lack of pace in the backline. Keen to see 10, 12 & 13 combination though. Have to try something and dropping Castello was something I'd called for.
I was hoping for Morisi-Campagnaro at 12-13, we'll se how they'll perform. Padovani on the wing it's not ideal but at least it gives us another boot and improves our kicking game. Hopefully the guys will step on the pitch ready to fight and give Wales our best shot, like we did last year with Scotland.

Looking at the squad again, I am a bit shocked and Holmes inclusion on the wing over Amos. Holmes is a 15 really whereas Amos is a proven test winger with real xfactor. I can only assume he is a 50 minutes entry at 13. Anyone else agree?

Sisi at lock is...interesting
He's playing well there for Zebre but yeah, it tells you all the story about the italian locks situation. We don't even have a true lock in the squad, Budd, Sisi, Zanni and Ruzza are all playing there for the NT and the clubs but they all are 2nd-3rd row hybrids, sure not ideal.

I thought Sisi was one of Italy's best players last week. He's not a lock, but he was decent.

Latest posts