• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2020 Autumn Nations Cup] England vs Ireland (21/11/20)

I'm certainly not writing Slade off in any way, shape or form, but he had a shocker on Saturday. Conditions, those around him, playing out of position, game plan etc all played their part but for me him and May were our worst. It happens though, just glad it was against Georgia and not someone better.

Anyway, to Ireland, which will be a far bigger test - even with Sexton and Henshaw out and Murray potentially playing 10. I'm torn about who i want to see at 9, 10, 12 and 13. I said in a different thread earlier that i wanted Robson, Farrell, Slade and Lawrence, but i keep changing my mind. Maybe Youngs, Malins, Farrell, Slade. Part of the problem is i don't know who the next cab off the rank is at 10, Malins or Umaga. IMO it should be Simmonds but he's not even in the squad so that's a non-starter. Whoever it is should have got some time there in in the last couple of games. It's been said before, but Jones' biggest failing for me is the lack of backup/next-gen experience at both 9 and 10.
I can forgive May a bit more. He is an out and out speedster. He has added other bits to his game but ultimately you want him running fast in a straight line pretty much unobstructed. In the whole game that didn't happen once and the chances where it could have happened it was Farrell who messed up the opportunity, not May. Had some of those overlaps been exploited, I think May would have had a very different game. Even in the kick chase he couldn't perform largely because a huge chunks of the kicks were barely contestable or possible to recover. He didn't have a faultless game by any stretch but I feel Faz was at the core of a large chunk of what was going wrong with others on the field.

As it was May's options were to try to plow through contact or start going sideways. He looked like someone who was trying to manufacture his own opportunities because he had none on the few occasions he got the ball.

seems like the first real challenge in a while for England. In some ways relieved that Sexton is out, but then we won't be tested as fully, but I'm not sure we are as ready as Ireland for this one given our last two games. The pack is looking well drilled and strong, with some very decent strength in depth, should be a good competition up front. My concern is the backs. Yet more changes, new faces, people playing out of position. We seem too flat and lateral with ball in hand and resort to kicking a lot (probably Fazs influence at 10). Lots of pace out there we just don't seem to use it very well. I'm hoping the weather is clear and these new lads get a chance to run it, although I fear another set piece forwards fest.
As for a winner. On recent past performances between the two, especially at HQ, and without Sexton to pull the strings and steer the ship, England have the upper hand. England by 5

Not optimistic. England have our number right now, and we aren't playing well enough to overturn that. Even against a rubbish Welsh team we couldn't execute to the required standard in the 22, made way too many mistakes, and picked up a bunch of injures. And we're going to pick Conor Murray again. I want to win but if we're competitive in defeat it'll be a good result.

England by 10+.

Willis set to be sent back to Wasps for the weekend:

Seems mad to me - surely worth at least a bench spot?

I rate Earl massively, but if Binny is doing the 80 (which seems to be Eddies gameplan) then I'd pick Willis on the bench as a straight up flanker sub.

I rate Earl massively, but if Binny is doing the 80 (which seems to be Eddies gameplan) then I'd pick Willis on the bench as a straight up flanker sub.
Honestly would not be surprised with itoje on the flank again lol

Disappointing? Yes. Mad? No.

He did fine, but it's not as though Curry or Underhill are poor players. Earl is a completely different type of player and I'd imagine the rationale is that his pace could be more impactful from the bench.

Madness. He's out of form and even when in form he can't really go flat out for the 80. He's always drifted in and out of games but 3 or 4 years ago he provided regular moments of serious impact. Those are becoming much less frequent and the Georgians sent him properly backwards on a couple of occasions last week.

Confirms no POM starting too?

I'd hope so but Ryan took over as captain last week when Sexton went off. So they might want POM on to help him. He had a good game last week but he's a lot more suited to playing Wales than he is England and Doris and Stander are just too good to have on the bench so POM can start.

Billy Burns going from playing for the Junior World Cup winning England side, captained by Maro Itoje,
To playing for 3rd placed Six Nations side Ireland, captained by James Ryan

Talk about a glow down.
Even worse, he's playing against a team full of championship players too. He's had a mare.

Because the only other 10 in the squad is Vunipola, with Ford injured, and I would not trust him to start a test match in a month of Sundays

In an ideal world we'd have brought Simmonds off the bench the last two games (hell, started him in one or two)
But this is EJs world and we're all just living in it
But I was under impression an injured player could be replaced as long as negative under covid protocols.
My mistake on that then.

But I was under impression an injured player could be replaced as long as negative under covid protocols.
Probably could be but Ford is due back before the tournament ends so have been kept in the squad

I'd hope so but Ryan took over as captain last week when Sexton went off. So they might want POM on to help him. He had a good game last week but he's a lot more suited to playing Wales than he is England and Doris and Stander are just too good to have on the bench so POM can start.
Maybe the opposite as Ryan namechecked POM, Earls and Henderson as 3 lads that will be around to help him.

There is mumblings of POM at 7. Henderson namechecked confirms he will start and Earls is an interesting one. Possibly Earls and Lowe on wings. Alternatively presume Earls and POM will finish game after coming on and Henderson won't

Latest posts