• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2021 Six Nations] England vs Italy (13/02/21)

Give Lawrence another chance and this time try giving him the ball. As for No8 where's Dombrant? Injured maybe?

The one who gave up waiting and went to play for Scotland or the one who gave up waiting and went to play for Wales?
There's also the one who gave up waiting and went to play for Ireland (though that was a couple years ago, and he's been injured since)

Give Lawrence another chance and this time try giving him the ball. As for No8 where's Dombrant? Injured maybe?
1613152335918.png

Those guys were just quitters who were never going to be part of the greatest team in the world. Just look at last week for evidence...

The one who gave up waiting and went to play for Scotland or the one who gave up waiting and went to play for Wales?
Or the one who's just been unfairly dropped? This is one of those rare occasions when I wish someone would let rip on social media.

Not exactly, I just think that because a team plays badly and wins, doesn't mean the future is nothing but playing badly. Teams do improve.

But I suppose there's an interesting question that keeps cropping up from people's posts: would people be happy with Eddie losing games if he was blooding lots of new players, systems etc? Which competitions should he throw in order to do this? I've seen posts on here suggesting the ANC should have been chucked in favour of blooding youngsters. Should it be all about winning the RWC every four years and never mind winning the 6N? Or would people prefer he win the 6N and not worry about forward-planning for the RWC every four years? Genuinely curious what people think.
What should Eddie do or what should Eddie have done?

As I said on another post the team should consistently evolve so that's there's a blend of youth and experience - it's not an either / or equation. The aim should be to have an experienced, but not over the hill, team at RWCs but not to the exclusion of all else. As the Lawrence fiasco has shown the best way to integrate new players is into a coherent team.

For a country like Eng the RWC will always loom high and if Jones RFU paymasters have set him the objective of winning the RWC at the exclusion of all else that's one thing. As a fan I want us to always be competitive (with our player base we should be) but multi faceted - able to run, kick, maul, scrum as the situation demands and intelligent - the mythical playing what's in front of you which was the hallmark of the best AB teams. They had a plan and kicked their share but were ruthless in spotting and executing opportunities.

There shouldn't be the need to throw a tournament but if ever there was a throwable tourney it was the ANC.

The criticism Jones is copping is entirely of his own making.

There's also the one who gave up waiting and went to play for Ireland (though that was a couple years ago, and he's been injured since)

View attachment 9299
I remember when Matt Symons was going to be the greatest English player of all time.
I feel genuinely the the 8/10/13 from harelquins should be in the England squad

View attachment 9299
Here we have an excellent example if a good mix of old heads and young heads.
I am sure that Care and Brown help Smith call the shots, taking a little bit of the pressure off him, which in turn allows him to focus on his own development.

Will Greenwood says it in the papers, there needs to be strong voices in the team to say when 'it's on.'

In this team I am sure Care and Brown do a lot of the shooting to Smith. Combine the extra vision with his skill set and Quins are starting to play some good rugby again.

My final word before kick off.

This is a no win for Jones. Play poorly and the knives will be out. Win well and so what it was only Italy.

This is apparently our most experienced side ever and the most experienced team Ita have ever faced in the 6N.

Ita are crap.

We will win and it should be a big margin. But it's more how than how many.

Even at reduced throttle we can bludgeon them. But I want to see a more varied game plan attempted and executed. That's exactly what it says - varied, I don't mean just chucking it around for the sake of it. But our back 3 have got some serious attacking firepower, and if they can't be brought into the game today they never will.

There are no excuses.

This is a no win for Jones. Play poorly and the knives will be out. Win well and so what it was only Italy.

This is apparently our most experienced side ever and the most experienced team Ita have ever faced in the 6N.

Ita are crap.

Even at reduced throttle we can bludgeon them. But I want to see a more varied game plan attempted and executed. That's exactly what it says - varied, I don't mean just chucking it around for the sake of it. But our back 3 have got some serious attacking firepower, and if they can't be brought into the game today they never will.

There are no excuses.
A win for me would be some kind of indication of playing attacking rugby or exploiting overlaps. If we spend the whole game kicking, then regardless of the score we've not made any progress. Yes getting the basics right, but we also need to see players taking opportunities and not just kicking because the tactics said so.

**** me I kinda want us to play badly because it might force a change...

However issue is Italy are so **** I don't know how badly we'd have to play.

**** me I kinda want us to play badly because it might force a change...

However issue is Italy are so **** I don't know how badly we'd have to play.
We know one thing, you won't be able to go 80mins and not mention Faz

tenor.gif

Ita are crap.

There are no excuses.
Agree with all of this. My one major concern today is that it's freezing down here and the ground has got to be hard, so injuries could be a problem.

Still, I'm expecting a big performance from England today. I reckon we might even score a try, maybe even two...

We know one thing, you won't be able to go 80mins and not mention Faz
I'd take that challenge if I didn't think having a meltdown, a drink and wallowing in the misery of it was the only way to through the match.

Agree with all of this. My one major concern today is that it's freezing down here and the ground has got to be hard, so injuries could be a problem.

Still, I'm expecting a big performance from England today. I reckon we might even score a try, maybe even two...
Under soil heating no? I'm sure they'll want to be laying on the turf! :p

Latest posts