• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2021 Six Nations] England vs Scotland (06/02/21)

Last 4 years against Scotland W1, D1, L2.

Getting that duck off their back could lead to more wins. I'm honestly worried after performance and going to Murrayfield next that we might not get the Calcutta cup back for a while.

This. England are turning into an ordinary side under Jones. I think it's a combination of bad selections and abysmal tactics.
Jones' teams are notorious for going off the boil quite badly after about 3 or 4 years. I think we are seeing this with England.

Coaches with big egos are good when they start, they have no problem shaking things up because it is someone elses work. Once they have their stamp on it though, they are loathe to accept it could possibly be wrong and will blindly continue down a failed route.

Jones' teams are notorious for going off the boil quite badly after about 3 or 4 years. I think we are seeing this with England.

Coaches with big egos are good when they start, they have no problem shaking things up because it is someone elses work. Once they have their stamp on it though, they are loathe to accept it could possibly be wrong and will blindly continue down a failed route.
TBF most coaches in any sport don't have a shelf life of much longer, but we need to severely consider getting serious about a change. Either EJ needs to get serious and make changes or we need to bring in a new guy (Baxter has to be) for the Summer

interesting you are holding Daly solely responsible, he should have done better but there were others who could have stopped it, Wilson may not be too happy he couldn't stop a winger from there.

interesting you are holding Daly solely responsible, he should have done better but there were others who could have stopped it, Wilson may not be too happy he couldn't stop a winger from there.
Farrell was there as well.

Not solely. But it was a tackle he should have made and errors when you're the last main line of defence have consequences.

Daly has many attributes, but he should be fighting it out for the 13 shirt.

Last 4 years against Scotland W1, D1, L2.

Getting that duck off their back could lead to more wins. I'm honestly worried after performance and going to Murrayfield next that we might not get the Calcutta cup back for a while.
Interestingly, Eddie's autobiography says that while he respects the likes of Schmidt and Gatland, it's Townsend that terrifies him as a coach, coz he's just no idea what Townsend's gonna come up with next. Maybe England should consider getting Townsend as attack coach? Then again, 11 points against the worst England performance in years.... hmm, maybe not.

Nah, that was the story back in 2018. Jones recovered and got to a WC final and then won a couple of domestic cups. One loss is not the end of the world, no matter how bad.

Then again, it was a loss at home to Scotland. Maybe I'm being too lenient...?

Not solely. But it was a tackle he should have made and errors when you're the last main line of defence have consequences.

Daly has many attributes, but he should be fighting it out for the 13 shirt.
England were down a man which doesn't make things any easier, a 15 should be better in D without a doubt but he was Not the last man in this instance, I think a further 2 players were beaten after Daly slipped off the tackle

To look at it coldly for a second, England lost today because the attack was terrible and the penalty count was ridiculous (20+?). Less penalties and better attack and we're right back in it.

TBF most coaches in any sport don't have a shelf life of much longer, but we need to severely consider getting serious about a change. Either EJ needs to get serious and make changes or we need to bring in a new guy (Baxter has to be) for the Summer
Baxter doesn't have the experience to make the step up,

We need a coach with experience of coaching a variety of different teams and styles,
Someone who has an eye for real talent (maybe worked as a scout at one point?)
Someone who has experience of coaching "A" team international and also leading a national team to the highest level (taking their national leagues from amateur to pro, and getting the international team to their first ever world cup)
Someone who has experience of playing, and coaching, alongside our assistant coach (Mitchell)
Someone who is as English as they come, and bleeds rugby

Cometh the hour, cometh the man
1612641140705.png

1612641458680.png

After our loss in the 6N opener a year ago there was a lot of talk about sacking Eddie. No, no, no and no. He's a great coach and a serial winner.

After our loss in the 6N opener a year ago there was a lot of talk about sacking Eddie. No, no, no and no. He's a great coach and a serial winner.
You just watched one of the worst England performances in living memory. If you don't accept it we'll take you back and make you watch it again.

Agree with that. Eng under Jones have never ever been able to adapt when a game is not going to plan. That have never improved in this aspect of leadership and decision making and until they do they won't win a RWC. It's a massive weakness with E.J. The Eng of 2003 could adapt to what was happening in front of them, EJs lots haven't a clue where to start. They can give you great one off games when all goes to plan like RWC semi vs NZ but when the s**t hit the fan (like the final) they just plod on with same old game plan even when it's clearly nit working. Won't win anything big.

England were down a man which doesn't make things any easier, a 15 should be better in D without a doubt but he was Not the last man in this instance, I think a further 2 players were beaten after Daly slipped off the tackle
True, but they were about a metre out trying to stop someone who'd got forward momentum. This was a meat and drink tackle for a FB - Daly's positioning was fine, he just made a mess of it.

Latest posts