• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2022 Six Nations] Ireland vs Wales (05/02/22)

Yeah I totally agree. It's the thing that's frustrating me most about Pivac I'm still not seeing a clear style of play or philosophy. It's even more annoying when you see Ireland, France and England doing well in this regard.

Part of me would rather play a more risky game and lose to Ireland by 50 points than lose by 7 and play boring rugby. Having said that I'll happily take a **** house 9-6 victory or some ********. Lol.
Privac isn't trying to play boring rugby. It's just that Wales struggled to gain their own ball in set piece then when they did finally get the ball inaccuracy at the breakdown caused all their phases to be slow ball or simply turned over.

With no disrespect to Wales it would be pretty disastrous if we lost our home opener with two extremely tough away games this year. We are a Sexton injury away from having a very poor Six Nations though. Frustrating when we're well set pretty much everywhere else
I don't think it is. Regardless of how bad/good Wales are, with this current Ireland team anything other than 3 home wins would be a poor result.

Privac isn't trying to play boring rugby. It's just that Wales struggled to gain their own ball in set piece then when they did finally get the ball inaccuracy at the breakdown caused all their phases to be slow ball or simply turned over.

I don't think it is. Regardless of how bad/good Wales are, with this current Ireland team anything other than 3 home wins would be a poor result.
I think there's an element of that but then I also think there was a clear style of play prior to Covid in that 6N and then after that we just reverted back to type, box kicked a lot, looked unstructured and a bit clueless in attack but this also wasn't helped by set piece generally being crap.

One of the main things I was hoping to see when he first came in was to see our offloading game massively increase and, again, I think we saw a bit of that prior to Covid but since then not so much. We were super clinical last 6N so that was great but when we go up against you Frances, Ireland's and England (Scotland as well to a lesser degree) you can almost guarantee they're going to score 3 or 4 tries but for us not so much which puts the emphasis on a strong defence. Injuries and stuff hasn't helped either so I'm not digging him out but would like to see things evolve a bit more this 6N.

The 42 reporting the Hansen to start rumour now. Also saying Ryan and Beirne in the row, Conway 14 and Henshaw Ringrose.

The few times I've seen Hansen play I've been quite impressed with him, seems like he could be a decent player at this level.

The 42 reporting the Hansen to start rumour now. Also saying Ryan and Beirne in the row, Conway 14 and Henshaw Ringrose.
Earls is carrying injury.
Baloucoune released back to Ulster and Larmour isn't highly rated by Farrell.

Farrell likes his left winger to be able to playmake and have a big left boot. Shouldn't be too surprised Hansen is someone he likes.

Don't know that I rate Hansen as an international yet, but happy to be proven wrong. Scored some classy tries and has very good poachers instincts (two tries vs Ulster come to mind), but he's only played 7 games for Connacht and he's had some wobbly enough moments too.

Earls is carrying injury.
Baloucoune released back to Ulster and Larmour isn't highly rated by Farrell.
Pretty unhappy that Baloucoune has been released. We haven't had a proper pacy winger in ages.

I feel like Hansen is a high risk pick, but it makes sense to pick this game to do so. They have very good wingers who will test him defensively, but if he fucks up it is unlikely to be the losing of the game.

Missed Baloucoune being released, think that's a poor move. Guy needs to be fast tracked. As per above we don't produce wings with his pace and power often and on top of that he looks well rounded for his age.

Missed Baloucoune being released, think that's a poor move. Guy needs to be fast tracked. As per above we don't produce wings with his pace and power often and on top of that he looks well rounded for his age.
Dont forget he's also a sexy *******

Really good high ball skills too, unsure why he's been dropped out but hopefully a good reason

Rumours for Wales is that Tompkins will be 12 and Adams 13. Not sure about that to be honest, away in Dublin is a rather difficult place to have your first test start at 13

Rumours for Wales is that Tompkins will be 12 and Adams 13. Not sure about that to be honest, away in Dublin is a rather difficult place to have your first test start at 13
Gutted if Halaholo doesn't make it but I guess there's fitness concerns there. I agree re Adams but **** it. Might keep their back line on their toes.

They're all right wings also. Schmidt didn't particularly like changing sides for his wings but I think Faz treats them as entirely different positions with no crossover.
The rumour is Conway will be switching over. So not fully sure.

Regardless I think Baloucoune should have got nod simply from watching both - They superb attackers both but there is a gap on defense. Not saying Hansen is poor more Baloucoune is a better player on the defensive side and we may need that Saturday.

Either way hard to slate Faz regardless. It a tight call and no clear answer.

The rumour is Conway will be switching over. So not fully sure.

Regardless I think Baloucoune should have got nod simply from watching both - They superb attackers both but there is a gap on defense. Not saying Hansen is poor more Baloucoune is a better player on the defensive side and we may need that Saturday.

Either way hard to slate Faz regardless. It a tight call and no clear answer.
The other thing differentiating Balacoune is he's comfortably quicker than Hansen (if you look at Hansens intercept v Ulster it seems a good indicator), and pace is such a premium, especially at international level making all the difference. Unsure I've seen enough of Hansen to think "this guy is international class" but he looks like he'll do a job, whereas Balacoune always seems to have that touch of class and quality, to just inject something from nothing

Wales: L Williams; McNicholl, Adams, Tompkins, Rees-Zammit; Biggar, T Williams; W Jones, Elias, Francis, Rowlands, Beard, E Jenkins, Basham, Wainwright.

Replacements: Lake, G Thomas, D Lewis, S Davies, Moriarty, G Davies, Sheedy, Watkin.

If that backline can get decent ball then it will be dangerous in attack, not sure about defence though.......
Bench is certainly going to be weaker than what Ireland put out.

Wales: L Williams; McNicholl, Adams, Tompkins, Rees-Zammit; Biggar, T Williams; W Jones, Elias, Francis, Rowlands, Beard, E Jenkins, Basham, Wainwright.

Replacements: Lake, G Thomas, D Lewis, S Davies, Moriarty, G Davies, Sheedy, Watkin.

If that backline can get decent ball then it will be dangerous in attack, not sure about defence though.......
Bench is certainly going to be weaker than what Ireland put out.
Mind doing a rundown of your pack? Don't know a lot of the players well although I've heard of them. In particular Elias, Rowlands, Jenkins, and Wainwright.

Mind doing a rundown of your pack? Don't know a lot of the players well although I've heard of them. In particular Elias, Rowlands, Jenkins, and Wainwright.
Elias, modern style of hooker. Very good around the field, quite dynamic, ok in scrum. His line out throwing can go a bit off the rails at times though. On the bench at hooker is Lake, this will be his debut, but he's like Elias but taken to 11. Absolute athlete who's but throwing can be a lot worse. Rowlands is a big lump of lock, he's decent enough. Get's round the field well for so someone so big, carries decent enough and decent enough in the set piece. A very 7/10 player. Jenkins is a what could have been, he's a similar player to Warburton, despite not being the biggest he's pretty good at most things but in got motm and injured in 2018 and was out for 2 and a half years! He's played well at times since his comeback but not at his potential before injury (imo that could have been one of the best flankers in the world). Wainwright is a footwork oriented 8 then a bull dozing one (more Sam Simmonds then CJ Stander). He's still reasonably young but always put's a shift in both attack and defence. Will not get you too much go forward with slow static carries but can be lethal if given quick ball out wide.
Pick of the forwards is Taine Basham though, looks small for a test level flanker but get's turnovers and makes things happen in attack. He's one of those players who just seems to make metres and beat players despite having no right to.

Latest posts