• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2022 Six Nations] Scotland vs England (05/02/22)

Based on the trimmed down squad what are people expectations?
I'd hope for ludlam at 6 , but expect Isiekwe
Locks should be Itoje and Isekwe, but I expect Ewels
Centres Slade with either Atkinson or Marchant
Back three could be anyone's guess with Eddie. Although steward looks nailed on for 15

This is my feeling. I personally wouldn't have Ewels in the squad, but oh well.

So released are:

Heyes, Hill (so confirms he's not fit), Barbeary, Quirke, Bailey, Northmore, Lynagh and Radwan
Lawes also not fit, but still with squad.

Bit disappointed Barbeary still isn't an option and Quirke going, though realistically he is young and will get another chance soon.
Did see a thing on the Telegraph showing a comparison between youngs, quirke and Randall stats wise, and actually if you take into account that Quirke carries a ball more than the other two (almost double per game), he's less likely to make a line break or beat a defender than either Youngs or Randall
They have some stats in there that dont really highlight a scrumhalf play too much, but interesting to note the tackle % of randall and Quirke are 77% & 79%, while youngs is up at 85%

Randall's a great carrier (and quick tapper), but that's really only where he excels compared to the others - his kicking isn't great and his distribution is nothing to write home about (comparatively, at least)

Will definitely add energy from the bench, but not really the ideal choice for what will likely be a rainy, muddy, affair in Murrayfield

Based on the trimmed down squad what are people expectations?
Centres Slade with either Atkinson or Marchant
Back three could be anyone's guess with Eddie. Although steward looks nailed on for 15
Why are you hoping for Ludlam at 6? I like him as a player, but on what is very likely to be crappy day in Scotland, I can see a strong argument for Isiekwe at 6.

Randall's a great carrier (and quick tapper), but that's really only where he excels compared to the others - his kicking isn't great and his distribution is nothing to write home about (comparatively, at least)

Will definitely add energy from the bench, but not really the ideal choice for what will likely be a rainy, muddy, affair in Murrayfield
Yep. Same thinking re. my post just now.

Conditions dictate any 50:50s IMO so I'm surprised Qurike was released and Randall kept.

Why are you hoping for Ludlam at 6? I like him as a player, but on what is very likely to be crappy day in Scotland, I can see a strong argument for Isiekwe at 6.

As he will counter Ritchie and Watson at ruck time. Can you see any of our locks barring Itoje having the speed or athletiscm to gain parity at ruck ? This obsession of wanting to find PSDT is annoying. He is one off a freak if you like. All other great teams play a flanker at 6 not a lock.
Our best rugby over the past 15 years has been played with two out and out flankers. Not a lock who can fill in.
If the concern is height, then surely a 6 foot 5 dombrandt at 8 compensates?

Id be happy with Ludlum and Curry at 6 and 7 aswell...

Gives you effectively 5 lineout jumpers....with Dombradnt at 8.

As he will counter Ritchie and Watson at ruck time. Can you see any of our locks barring Itoje having the speed or athletiscm to gain parity at ruck ? This obsession of wanting to find PSDT is annoying. He is one off a freak if you like. All other great teams play a flanker at 6 not a lock.
Our best rugby over the past 15 years has been played with two out and out flankers. Not a lock who can fill in.
If the concern is height, then surely a 6 foot 5 dombrandt at 8 compensates?
Maybe … I think the ball might spend quite a bit of time in he air which might change how much 'ball in play' time there is which will in turn change the breakdown contest.

Not really saying much - he's only started internationals twice at centre so you're basically saying he was a better wing than FB which I think we'd all agree with.

But that doesn't make him an international class or instinctive wing.
Lets not forget he played himself into the starting 11 shirt for the Lions agaisnt NZ so he can be a top international winger, the issue is he's been played in the wrong place for the past 5 years and now has zero confidence. Now steward is the clear 15 hopefully he's allowed to play somewhere he has the skills to and make a return to form.

Big Duhan is cleared to play, hes become a real asset to this Scotland squad

Gutted that Quirk was dropped. He just seems so dangerous with ball in hand. I think the forward pretty much pick themselves now, what will be interesting is what happens in the backs.
Slade, Smith, Steward and Youngs will start
Knowing EJ he will have Nowell because he loves him, so that one wing.
I thought Marchant was injured? But either way I think Atkinson will fill the other centre post, and maybe Malins on the other wing. Daly benches for utility along with Ford for 10 cover.
6/2 bench hopefully with Marler there to come on and create chaos in the 2nd half (but hopefully keeping away from peoples nethers!!)
Real chance for some new lads to stake a claim. Scotland look well drilled and hungry, so a proper test awaits. Could be a classic, unless the weather is horrendous and the whole things descends into a wrestle in the mud, ball shoved up the jumper affair!

Marchant got covid. according to the BBC if he tests negative tomorrow he can come out of isolation, so he'll have missed some key training time which might hurt his chances.

Marchant got covid. according to the BBC if he tests negative tomorrow he can come out of isolation, so he'll have missed some key training time which might hurt his chances.
I was 50/50 on whether it'd be him or Nowell on the right wing, with the other on the bench, so I think the COVID settles the debate (providing he's negative, obv)

So the positions we arnt sure on 5,6 12/13(one is Slade) and 14

Genge LCD Sinks
Itoje 5
6 Dombrandt Curry

Youngs Smith
12/13 Slade
Malins Steward 14

George Marler Sinkler, 19 20, Randall Furbank(Ford) Daly

All in all we really dont have a bad team and Slade Marchant or Atkinson Slade are both good options IMO.

So the positions we arnt sure on 5,6 12/13(one is Slade) and 14

Genge LCD Sinks
Itoje 5
6 Dombrandt Curry

Youngs Smith
12/13 Slade
Malins Steward 14

George Marler Sinkler, 19 20, Randall Furbank(Ford) Daly

All in all we really dont have a bad team and Slade Marchant or Atkinson Slade are both good options IMO.
Don't let EJ see this or he'll play Curry at 8

Latest posts