• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Canada vs. U.S.A. RWCQ 2nd leg, 24/08/13

He's back now 4 minutes left Eagles didn't capatalize with the man down only 2 behind.

Edit: but after an interception by LaValla, opportunity for another penalty. Missed to the left only a minute left.

Last edited:
I have never seen a worse game than that. Thankfully it's over and Canada won both.

Congrats to Canada winners overall by 20, have fun with Ireland, France and Italy.

Yeah, you're right, it is next March or April. Tricky series for the U.S., they will probably be missing most of their top players.

Some notes on the game:
-Hearn played great (MOM in my opinion), but DTH needs to play in the centres. Whenever he touches the ball he makes something happen so why have him on the wing where he isn't involved? He usually eats the American centres anyway.
- Dolezel had a surprisingly good game, better than Tiedemann in fact. Hopefully we see more of that in the future.
- This was probably Pritchard's first bad game with the boot since against France in 2011.
- Mack wasn't spectacular but he was still better than White. He retains the #9 jersey going forward.
- Why wasn't Mackenzie brought on sooner?
- As usual, Dala brought the spark the team needed when he came on.
- Too many basic errors.
- Quiet game by the backrow.
- Poor game by Barkwill, the lineouts were brutal.
- One of the worst games of rugby I've seen.

Despite that, it's nice to see Canada win by 21 (?) points on aggregate without good players like Cudmore, Hassler, Buydens, and Ardron playing major roles. While it seems like most tier 2 teams had decent seasons, you can't say the same about the Eagles- they seem to be sinking.

An abysmal game to watch but a good win for Canada.

Shame for the USA as it's a well known fact they their organisation is leaving Canada behind ;)

1. Tiedemann (5) Scrum was better, but was subbed early, did he get injured?
2. Barkwill (4) Line out was awful for most of the game, threw a loose pass at the end which should have cost us the victory.
3. Marshall (6) Scrum was much better, pretty busy around the park and scored a try in the second half.
4. Phelan (5) Surprisingly didn't do well in the line out, but think that is more of a fault to Barkwill.
5. Hotson (6) Got around the park and did some hardwork, pretty invisible tbh.
6. Sinclair (6) Tackled well, did a lot of work, but risked ******* of the ref with some back talk.
7. Moonlight (6) Disrupted the U.S. rucks and worked hard.
8. Carpenter (6) Tried hard, led well again, but needs to move to hooker. That call against him at the scrum deep in the U.S. half, near the end of the match, was a blown call.

9. Mack (4) What a fall from grace, bad passing, silly penalties at the scrum, poor kicking. Only good play I can remember from him was when he regathered the ball after on of his kicks was charged down early first half deep in our end.
10. Jones (7) Ran at the line well, passing was better, starting to settle down at 10.
11. DTH (7) Kept busy and was dangerous all game.
12. Blevins (5) Defended well, but was missing on attack.
13. Hearn (8) Rewarded Crowley for his faith in him. Was the key playmaker in Pritchard's try, and saved a try against the American hooker. Was the T.V. guys MOTM.
14. Evans (6) Quiet first half, but went looking for work in the second half.
15 Pritchard (6) Scored a try, but missed most of his kicks(1-4) I believe. Left a lot of points on the field, but thankfully so did Wyles.

16. Dolozel (6) Came on for Tiedemann early second half, scrum went well when he was on.
17. Wooldridge - Not used.
18. Duke - Not used.
19. Flagg - Not used.
20 Dala (6) - Bit unfair to get to get sin binned, it was more of a team yellow.
21 White (6) - Seemed to play well when he came on, Mack has opened the door for him.
22. Hirayama (5) - Never noticed him while he was on at FB. They could be a future place for him on the team though.
23. Mackenzie (6) - Came on for Blevins as a blood sub.

What was the attendance?

Well that was not a great game HAHAHA, at least it was tense and we saw some tries I suppose. Lot's of knock on's, poor lineout(though Barkwill seemed to get his **** together in the 2nd half). Pritchard had his best game from open play for a long time and his worst day with the boot in a long time. Entire crowd thought we had lost when Wyles lined up for that last shot at goal. Funniest part of the match was a part of play where the ball had been blown (due to Dala's yellow card) dead but half the teams kept playing, Barkwill fly hacked ahead and ended up smashing Zeee in a tackle to the delight of the crowd only to find out it "didn't count"... gratutitous booing of the ref ensued.

Canada seemed to struggle to get into this game and build any kind of momentum, great breaks were spoiled by knock on's Mack did not have a good game, I actually thought White was much better when he came on. Luckily a few guys really did show up to play Hearn in particular, DTH looked dangerous but is wasted at #11. Surprised Mackenzie only got on for 5-6 minutes and that because Blevins took a harsh knock.

On a personal note got photos of me standing beside the Webb Ellis trophy, and the crowd were really passionate and in great force especially for what was a farily dour match(especially considering the conditions which were close to perfect!!!). Think our guys have a sort of BMO field nervousness, they need to settle down for games at the venue. Thank goodness we won which will mean the TV viewers left somewhat satisfied and so did the home crowd.

1. Tiedemann (5) Was OK, really hasn't used these games to raise his stock much though, Buydens is missed here.
2. Barkwill (5) First half was dreadful, second half was MUCH better, I have an odd feeling him and Phelan didn't have the calls down right and the last minute line up changes were the reason.
3. Marshall (7) Good try and kept his discipline in check best game of our forwards I would say.
4. Phelan (5) Didn't really add a whole lot, wasn't supposed to start so can't be too harsh on him.
5. Hotson (6) Sometimes it's not too bad when you aren't mentioned a lot, means you didn't do anything horrible, that was Hotson today.
6. Sinclair (6) Didn't have a huge impact, put in some hard minutes.
7. Moonlight (6) Good in defence
8. Carpenter (6) Not a spectacular day for our loose forwards, did OK, made some odd decisions to go to the corner in the 2nd half...was Pritchard having THAT bad a day from the tee?
9. Mack (5) Is it possible Mack has stolen White's inconsistency? Seemed to be frenetic and tried too hard. Made some critical errors.
10. Jones (6) Decent game, workmanlike
11. DTH (7) Sorely wasted here, looked dangerous had a break which should have led to a try had Mack not knocked on.
12. Blevins (5) Ditto canadafan's thoughts, DTH should have been here.
13. Hearn (8) Probably a worthy MOTM, but says something about the game that the MOTM, just eeks out a 8/10. Defended and created well.
14. Evans (5) - Somewhat anonymous, couldn't Mackenzie have come on earlier?
15 Pritchard (6) - Good from the loose play, poor day with the boot, both conversions were difficult, but that penalty off the post he really should have had.

16. Dolozel (7) - Best game for Canada he's had.
17. Wooldridge - NA
18. Duke - NA
19. Flagg - NA
20 Dala (6) - Added the spark but took a card, but like canadafan said he was "johnny on the spot" for what was really a team card
21 White (6) - Was more effective than Mack, was more settled and composed.
22. Hirayama (5) - Didn't add anything, Didn't subtract anything.
23. Mackenzie (6) - Came on late, could have been an NA

Scoreline.

Canada 13-11(8-8) United States

Canada

Tries: Pritchard, Marshall
Conversions: Pritchard 0(2)
Penalty: Pritchard 1(2)
Yellow Card: Dala

United States

Try: Ngenwya
Conversion: Wyles 0(1)
Penalties: Wyles 2(4)

Last edited:
Awful game, good crowd, enjoyed it. Toronto is booming this weekend. Love the city.
Apols for not meeting up, came late and had to head out quickly with a mate. Deffo want to return soon and see a few TRF people.

Awful game, good crowd, enjoyed it. Toronto is booming this weekend. Love the city.
Apols for not meeting up, came late and had to head out quickly with a mate. Deffo want to return soon and see a few TRF people.

Gutted I didn't see you Draggs, think I would have picked you out as well. Definately a lot happenng round the city I enjoyed the Ex for a while than headed to the beer patio, lot's of people on the train at FanExpo as well.

Gutted I didn't see you Draggs, think I would have picked you out as well. Definately a lot happenng round the city I enjoyed the Ex for a while than headed to the beer patio, lot's of people on the train at FanExpo as well.
Soz mate, same he, but it was very last minute with a friend of mine. I'll arrange it better next time. The NZ Maori looks tempting.

Latest posts