• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England Rugby 2018/19 Thread

On the Sale website Ben's listed as 109 and Tom 106, both of which would be large for opensides (Would make Ben heavier than Sean O'Brien). By lightweight I didn't necessarily mean it in a literal sense, just that it doesn't have much carrying ability.
Into brick walls perhaps but all three are great carriers

Also weight only means so much if your technique and playing style fail to exploit it. Ireland are good at having their forwards running onto the ball and they aim between defenders, not at them. We on the other hand take the ball static, get hit by a defender who is moving faster than the ball carrier and aim for the most dense clump of defenders we can find. Our forwards carrying is pretty much a check list of all the things that are poor technique. If anything it's a wonder we make ground going forward at all. Despite their reputation, the Irish don't try to run over players, they look for whatever gaps are there and run at those. Much easier to make ground when someone can only get their arm in your way rather than their entire body.

Also weight only means so much if your technique and playing style fail to exploit it. Ireland are good at having their forwards running onto the ball and they aim between defenders, not at them. We on the other hand take the ball static, get hit by a defender who is moving faster than the ball carrier and aim for the most dense clump of defenders we can find. Our forwards carrying is pretty much a check list of all the things that are poor technique. If anything it's a wonder we make ground going forward at all. Despite their reputation, the Irish don't try to run over players, they look for whatever gaps are there and run at those. Much easier to make ground when someone can only get their arm in your way rather than their entire body.

I know this....you know this....most England fans know this.....yet Eddie Jones doesn't though.

Anyone see how Nowell did at FB for the chiefs? After recording all the games this weekend I've not managed to watch any yet.

Anyone see how Nowell did at FB for the chiefs? After recording all the games this weekend I've not managed to watch any yet.
He got MOTM and scored a hell of a try. That said, he wasn't really tested as a fullback; I don't think he actually had to take a high ball and he didn't have to make any cover tackles.

He was good in attack but wasn't really tested in defence. They scored on the wing he was defending but he had so much space left to cover because the team didn't filter across that he can't be blamed for it. Didn't see him competing for high ball. He is surprisingly strong at the breakdown and also has a very good jinking run, he changes direction at the last second just before contact which throws a lot of defenders.

So Binny's back, but from what I've seen so far not tearing up trees. A fit and firing Binny has a role to play. But if he's off the pace a bit I'm not sure he has.

Some tough calls for Jones over the next couple of weeks, but he gets paid the big bucks to get them right.

Some optimism after the Autumn. But we travel to Dublin and Cardiff more in hope than expectation. God only knows what the French will do - remember how tight their losses were last year. Italy should be a banker, but the Jocks could do us again if we're a bit off. Last year we finished W2 L3, I'm hoping for better but I'm not putting my house on it.

My team for Dublin
Sinkler George mako
Maro luanchbury
Wilson curry bili
Youngs Farrell
Teo Slade
May Daley brown
Genge hartley Cole
Lawes shields
Care Cipriani ain't gonna happen
Manu

starting Vunipola AND Sinckler =scrum penalty's all over the gaff. I'd prefer both coming off the bench tbh, or at least one of them.

presuming he picks 3 of each, I'd go: Cole, Sinckler, Williams + Genge, Vunipola, Moon.

Start Cole, bring Sincks on. Start Genge, Bring Mako on.

>2019
>Start Cole

Start Genge and Williams, bring Mako and Sinck off the bench.

Really like what im seeing from Cole atm. Still the best Scrummaging TH weve got and mad to not consider him. Around the park against Gloucester he was terrific. Im not convinced Harry Williams is yet a better TH than Cole. He may eventually, just not for me yet.

I like the idea of genge george sinks coming off the bench tbh, is genge playing that well to knock mako to the bench atm?

Williams played better in an England shirt than Cole has for years. I don't want Cole back any time soon, he's not looked England quality in any of the tigers games I've seen on BT.

Latest posts