• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

EOYT: France vs Samoa, 24/11/2012

By the way, it's safe to say this is the best era of Samoan rugby, you guys agree ?
Since about 2010, and the win in Sydney in '11...now Wales' scalp in Cardiff and who knows what more...

And they're playing exciting ball...and TONED down on those karate moves too ^_^

Manu Samoa's team vs France
1. Sakaria Taulafo
2. Ti'i Paulo
3. Census Johnston
4. Filo Paulo
5. Iosefa Tekori
6. Ofisa Treviranus
7. Maurie Fa'asavalu
8. Taiasina Tuifua
9. Kahn Fotuali'i
10. Tusi Pisi
11. David Lemi
12. Johnny Leota
13. George Pisi
14. Paul Perez
15. Robert Lilomaiava

16. Ole Avei 17. Viliamu Afataia 18. James Johnston 19. Fa'atiga Lemalu 20. Tivani Fomai 21. Jeremy Sua 22. Ki Anufe 23. Reupena Leavasa

squad hit with injuries and suspension particularly at fullback. Lilomaiava playing the position is a concern as Im not sure how much he is experienced there and now he is starting vs the European powerhouse that is France.. Hopefully he'll swim not sink.

Let go Manu !
I've never seen Lilomaiava play fullback or wing before this tour, just 12 or 13. He certainly has all the skills to be a fullback, though.

That pack has gotten even more physical with Tekori and Paulo added to the starting line-up.

Anufe and Levasa were the only back reserves left, so they got in the team by default. I think Sa left right after the Canadian game due to a knee injury.

By the way, it's safe to say this is the best era of Samoan rugby, you guys agree ?

Bro, if you know Rugby, then you know we've (Samoa) had some good times in the past. Yoe, I think your learning more about Rugby here and thats good a thing. I dont mean no offence but clearly you're not an expert on Rugby history and thats ok 'cos you will learn more and more on our forum. :)

Since about 2010, and the win in Sydney in '11...now Wales' scalp in Cardiff and who knows what more...

And they're playing exciting ball...and TONED down on those karate moves too ^_^

Karate moves??..can you provide video evidence of karate moves please..

We play very physically but within the actions of general Rugby. We're not dirty and we're not for the soft tiddlywinks. For the southren hemisphere big hits are seen as a highlight. Im not sure if thats the same case in the north. Ive had a few friends play in the north and the always tell me its not as physical as playing in the south but good none the less.

We've always played fair and with flair when we're hot. Exciting play is no suprise, karate moves now thats a suprise.

yes it is def the best era for the Manu Samoa that I have seen in the past 10 years I've been a loyal fan. Was very thin period from 2004 till 2010 with loss after loss piling up. The only notable results being that we won vs Argentina in 2005 and we came close to upsetting Scotland, Australia A and NZ Maori in an otherwise very lean period .

2010 Pac nations is when we started to turn things around in which we won that years Pac nations cup and in the end of year tests we mad good account for ourselves vs tough opposition in England, Ireland and Scotland. We had the greatest upset in our history last year vs Australia and while we didn't progress at the RWC we def took it to Semi finalists Wales and had our best ever result vs South Africa.

Now this year so far we have a record of 5 wins and 1 loss including sweeping the pacific and Japan enroute to taking out this years Pac nations. We couldve easily been 6 - 0 If not for a blown call in the game vs Scotland on the touchline by the referee and losing at the death by a point (not making excuses we had our opportunities and we didnt take them while Scotland did). We are currently undefeated during this years end of year tour with wins so far vs Wales and Canada. Win or lose vs France this will remain the best year for the Manu Samoa since I've been a loyal fan.

They have improved in all areas that have been hurting us in the past with their set piece, discipline, kicking and fitness have never looked better aswell the things we have always been good at (defence, putting on the hard hits and running the ball). Our depth has never looked deeper either with more and more professionals starting to put their hands up and play for the Manu Samoa.

Definitely an exciting period for me as I said since I've been a loyal fan when I started watching rugby at the RWC 2003. Hasn't been easy remaining so through the hard years with the loses piling up, but very happy things have turned around of late and the results are showing.

Last edited:
ok guys, do you have any links online so i can watch this in chicago. Not finding who has the rights for this game. TV5 usuall does but won't for this one game? help?

ok guys, do you have any links online so i can watch this in chicago. Not finding who has the rights for this game. TV5 usuall does but won't for this one game? help?

If I remember tomorrow when the match will start, I could provide you a link to watch the match...try to remind me on this forum tomorrow.

This is the game I wanna win. I know Wales are a good side but we've never beaten the Les Bleu and the French always seem to ripen around EOYT time.

Samoan Upset!

Bro, if you know Rugby, then you know we've (Samoa) had some good times in the past. Yoe, I think your learning more about Rugby here and thats good a thing. I dont mean no offence but clearly you're not an expert on Rugby history and thats ok 'cos you will learn more and more on our forum. :)

Karate moves??..can you provide video evidence of karate moves please..

We play very physically but within the actions of general Rugby. We're not dirty and we're not for the soft tiddlywinks. For the southren hemisphere big hits are seen as a highlight. Im not sure if thats the same case in the north. Ive had a few friends play in the north and the always tell me its not as physical as playing in the south but good none the less.

We've always played fair and with flair when we're hot. Exciting play is no suprise, karate moves now thats a suprise.

* No offense taken, in fact you're right. I love rugby, and I read about it, but I'm not a big enough fan to know the history of every single team by heart...but that's neither here nor there in fact, you haven't addressed the issue at hand. IS THIS, YES OR NO, THE BEST SIDE SAMOA HAS HAD ?? You should understand a forum is made to pose questions and answers others, I'm not particularly interested in what you have to say about my knowledge on anything really, thanks anyways but uhm...
Yeah Samoa reached the qtr finals twice before...they've put up some big performances before, I'm aware of that. But It doesn't seem like their best, 2010 til now seems like their best.

* Karate moves, Mortal Kombat Fatalities...call it what you want, or don't - you guys have a serious problem with discipline. It's too obvious for me to even detail here, but if you want to play the role of the angel like nothing's ever happened on the field lol that's cool. Not interested. Video evidence ?!!! :lol: watch just about any match ! It's not "dirty". It's "brutal" and uhmmm...the absolute opposite of finesse. MMMyez...

In fact Sam Owen, it seems your compatriot has written an entire set of paragraphs stating that this is in deed quite EXACTLY the best era of Samoan rugby....maybe you should suggest to him to learn about the history of the game as well......

AfakasiAssasin: Thx for confirming. I'm just curious and it's interesting to read a very Samoan sees this as the best....to me it's obviously the best era, but coming from an actual Samoan is interesting to read...

* No offense taken, in fact you're right.

Thank you.

Yeah Samoa reached the qtr finals twice before...they've put up some big performances before, I'm aware of that. But It doesn't seem like their best, 2010 til now seems like their best.

Did I say it wasnt? No I didnt. Playing overseas for our players has been a gem. You seem to underestimate us, thats what Im gettin at. You just gotta read your past posts to see all the proof. I remember reading one of your posts saying that there was 'no way' Wales would lose at home again and then we beat them. We're pretty good you know.

Ive always been more of a fan on the '91 Manu Samoa era. The originals are the best for me, our very first years was our BEST era.

In fact Sam Owen, it seems your compatriot has written an entire set of paragraphs stating that this is in deed quite EXACTLY the best era of Samoan rugby....

I dont care what anyone writes thats their opinion. I just read and consider like I do with your posts. The reason why I think that you dont know Rugby is because of your posts and your normally wrong picks at who will win a game.

Karate moves??..Argh! I give up

Last edited:
This is the game I wanna win. I know Wales are a good side but we've never beaten the Les Bleu and the French always seem to ripen around EOYT time.
Samoan Upset!

Can't wait for that match...I could hardly predict the result but I know this will the kind of rugby I like...:)
Hope it will not rain though....

Thank you.

Did I say it wasnt? No I didnt. Playing overseas for our players has been a gem. You seem to underestimate us, thats what Im gettin at. You just gotta read your past posts to see all the proof. I remember reading one of your posts saying that there was 'no way' Wales would lose at home again and then we beat them. We're pretty good you know.

Ive always been more of a fan on the '91 Manu Samoa era. The originals are the best for me, our very first years was our BEST era.

I dont care what anyone writes thats their opinion. I just read and consider like I do with your posts. The reason why I think that you dont know Rugby is because of your posts and your normally wrong picks at who will win a game.

Karate moves??..Argh! I give up

I have underestimated Samoa. Wales had lost 4 in a row, including against Argentina at home - looking as they were semifinalists in the RWC and then cemented the rep. with a nice Grand Slam, and how good they looked during all those matches - I thought "noooooo way are they losing to Samoa (which is good though) AT HOME twice in a row, and 5 in a row overall". You see what I mean ? I couldn't have seen even England or Ireland for e.g. or Argentina a second time winning in Cardiff at that moment.
On the other hand, to remain realistic, it's not like too many ppl thought Samoa had a chance. It's not just me Sam, I mean, Samoans and Pac. Islanders generally and then a handful of ppl around the world, but who'd have thought ?!
As good as Samoa has PROVEN to be, nobody knew they could do it before the match tbh. This match really represents their arrival I think. Putting 42 on Canada in itself ain't enough to impress the Rugby world.

In fact, as I've said before, this match in Millennium was PIVOTAL. Not just for Wales (understanding they've got some work to do), not just for Samoa (HUGE upset), but for France. It's a wake-up call. Thank God, I say, Samoa went to Wales first and not us first. We've got a tendency of underestimating (e.g.: Tonga RWC) lower ranked teams...surely the Tonga affair was severe enough that we may never underestimated Pac. Islanders anymore, but still that victory in Cardiff is a wake-up call. For the world, but more imminently, for us, France.

To think you guys won it with such a terrible kicker !!! Someone on here didn't agree with that, but c'mon, you seen the match right ?! That guy would be more useful as a prop than kicking the ball ! He missed some of those like he was aiming at someone in the crowd 90° left...
Of course that's just ONE game, I think he was fine in Canada....but on that ONE game in Cardiff, he looked simply amateur. Like, I'd never seen this in a pro rugby match to be honest.

On the other hand, to remain realistic, it's not like too many ppl thought Samoa had a chance. It's not just me Sam, I mean, Samoans and Pac. Islanders generally and then a handful of ppl around the world, but who'd have thought ?!
As good as Samoa has PROVEN to be, nobody knew they could do it before the match tbh. This match really represents their arrival I think. Putting 42 on Canada in itself ain't enough to impress the Rugby world.

Yes they did. After Wales' sub par performance, and Samoa's immense performance against Canada. Both teams were going into that match with contrasting form, and it certainly looked like Samoa would have a very good chance. Also Samoa came very close to Wales on top form during the RWC, so pretty much no Wales fans thought that Samoa had no chance whatsoever of winning and Wales were going to ease to victory.

Look read these first 3 posts from the Samoa vs Wales thread, two are Canadians who saw a mighty Samoan performance and both knew they were in cracking form. And one is from a Welshman who knew Wales weren't in good form and was saying that there was a fair chance that a loss could be on the cards for Wales. No Wales fan or knowledgeable rugby fan (which you are clearly not) thought Samoa "didn't have a chance".

I have Samoa by 1 on the Bru. They looked so clinical against Canada and finally have goal kicking sorted out. I could see this going either way but I really see a scalp coming for Samoa this tour.

I am also backing Samoa. 18-15.

That Samoa was calm, clinical beast that had a clear focus in the game. In past, islanders have been known for a lack of discipline however this current squad has a swagger without the discipline problems.
Islanders nations used to focus physicality as if they had to prove something, this squad looked as if they were toying with Canada (who aren't exactly a soft team.) Samoa seems to have put real focus on tight forward play, ruck support, scrums and goal kicking. All of these things used to be deficiencies.
Regardless this will be an interesting match. One team clearly set their sights on this game before the series even happened. The other searching for a bit of redemption after going from what many said was a top 4 team (tv hosts not fans) to losing to no8.

That and Wales loss would make me feel better about Canada getting thrashed.
Wales is not exactly soft either and put their bodies to Argentina. But in the end I felt Wales started to back down from the physical challenge of Argentina.

I'll wait to see what team Howley selects. If there aren't changes I'd say Samoa will win, but if form players are brought in I'll back Wales. Not looking forward to it as I feel another loss could be on the cards.

To think you guys won it with such a terrible kicker !!! Someone on here didn't agree with that, but c'mon, you seen the match right ?! That guy would be more useful as a prop than kicking the ball ! He missed some of those like he was aiming at someone in the crowd 90° left...
Of course that's just ONE game, I think he was fine in Canada....but on that ONE game in Cardiff, he looked simply amateur. Like, I'd never seen this in a pro rugby match to be honest.

Again, like in most of your posts, you like to talk an awful lot without knowing what you're talking about.

Tusi Pisi is a good enough goal kicker, but towards the end of the match he was suffering from cramp which effected his last couple of kicks. If you were watching the match, listening to the commentators, or reading what I told you earlier you would have known. You can see he is clearly struggling on this video clip (http://youtu.be/GwmsIFtwkpM?t=1h44m52s). He's not a terrible kicker at all. And by the way he didn't kick against Canada, they had an even better goal kicker for that match James So'oialo.

Can't wait for that match...I could hardly predict the result but I know this will the kind of rugby I like...:)
Hope it will not rain though....

Couldn't agree with you more. Rugbyrama site says that if France wins the fourth spot in the rankings is assured. If Samoa wins they swap places with Wales, if Wales losees to the ABs, placing them #8. Although not the only reason, it is nice to add a little extra motivation to this match. I am really excited to watch Samoa play, especially after watching the replay of their match against Wales.

psychic duck :

my apologies. You seem to have good reason to think I'm wrong, it seems I'm wrong. So they have kickers ?
I dunno, his kicking was so bad against Wales I thought there's no way it's a bad day or that he would even be good otherwise. I'd never seen kicking that bad at int'l level. Okay, my bad, I was wrong.

Apparently I'm wrong about the "Samoa didn't have a chance", I must have projected my own sentiment, and things I'd read here and there too far. No need to repost those comments, I'd read them at the time...just not convinced. I don't take everything I read on here for concrete knowledge ! I actually thought (with all due respect) Little Guy was exaggerating to think Samoa had it by 1 point, I thought ppl had blown Samoa's performance in Canada and Wales' mediocre form against Argentina out of proportion...but I didn't think this, of all things, could happen.

Now that this is out of the way though: iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit's show time !!
Let's see what France and Samoa have got in their bellehs !!

I'm hoping for A Samoan win here. Altho France looked pretty good last weekend.

Latest posts