France
Club or Nation
Toulon
Heineken Cup.png

Heineken Cup Quarter Final

Ulster.pngVersus.pngSaracens.png

Date: Saturday 5th April 2014
Referee: Jérome Garcès (FRA)

I'm confident that we can take our game to Ravenhill and really give Ulster a game. When we last met we won 27-16 at Twickenham and I thought we should have won by more. Ulster have improved and now we have to play away instead of a neutral/home venue but if we want too win the tournament than you have to beat the best, my prediction a close game separated by no more than 5 points not sure who to though.

Will be interesting to see what Ulster turn up. Haven't played well since beating Leicester.

If Pienaar's out, not sure I'd even bother watching tbh...

If Pienaar's out, not sure I'd even bother watching tbh...

lol, hyperbolic exaggerations, always fun to read.
I know very little about Ulster, by memory I recall they haven't lost a single game in the Pools.

As an outsider I really can't say too much until I see actual lineups. No clue who's injured and what not...but it should be one big, big confrontation. One of the Irish big 3 vs England's best club.

lol, hyperbolic exaggerations, always fun to read.
I know very little about Ulster, by memory I recall they haven't lost a single game in the Pools.

As an outsider I really can't say too much until I see actual lineups. No clue who's injured and what not...but it should be one big, big confrontation. One of the Irish big 3 vs England's best club.

Eh. I'll probably watch, but without hope. The gulf between Pienaar and our next choices is huge. Imagine if France had a match tomorrow, and the choice was between Morgan Parra and a couple of D2 scrum-halves. You'd brick yourself if you thought Parra wasn't available, right? On everyone's current form, that is our choice.

As an outsider I really can't say too much until I see actual lineups. No clue who's injured and what not...but it should be one big, big confrontation. One of the Irish big 3 vs England's best club
England's best club is Leicester Tigers, we are the most consistent and we do well in the league but we manage to lose in the Semi's of everything ! Our probable line-up will be
1. Vunipola 2. Brits 3. Stevens 4.Kruis 5.Borthwick 6. Brown 7. Burger 8. Vunipola/Joubert 9. Wigglesworth 10. Farrell 11.Strettle 12.Barritt 13. Bosch 14.Ashton 15.Goode
16. George 17.Barrington 18.Johnstone 19.Botha 20.Wray 21.De Cock 22.Hodgson 23.Taylor
Hopefully Vunipola is back if not Joubert and wray to start at 8 and 6 respectively to help with the carrying.

Eh. I'll probably watch, but without hope. The gulf between Pienaar and our next choices is huge. Imagine if France had a match tomorrow, and the choice was between Morgan Parra and a couple of D2 scrum-halves. You'd brick yourself if you thought Parra wasn't available, right? On everyone's current form, that is our choice.
That's the spirit !!! And what's that ?? Ulster by 20 ?!!!! Oh myyyy this guy right here is just EXPLODING with confidence and his enthusiasm has just turned into a cynical arrogance the Saracen fans will just be DISGUSTED with !!

(hey...I'm trying...)

That's the spirit !!! And what's that ?? Ulster by 20 ?!!!! Oh myyyy this guy right here is just EXPLODING with confidence and his enthusiasm has just turned into a cynical arrogance the Saracen fans will just be DISGUSTED with !!
I'm ****ing disgusted

If he's out Jackson will really have to take command and show he's a good kicker. In saying that I think he has the game and that his style is perfectly suited for this game. 9 is a huge problem though as fact is I'd ask do Ulster even know who's 2nd choice

I'm ****ing disgusted

I would be too, you tell em man !!!

England's best club is Leicester Tigers, we are the most consistent and we do well in the league but we manage to lose in the Semi's of everything ! Our probable line-up will be
1. Vunipola 2. Brits 3. Stevens 4.Kruis 5.Borthwick 6. Brown 7. Burger 8. Vunipola/Joubert 9. Wigglesworth 10. Farrell 11.Strettle 12.Barritt 13. Bosch 14.Ashton 15.Goode
16. George 17.Barrington 18.Johnstone 19.Botha 20.Wray 21.De Cock 22.Hodgson 23.Taylor
Hopefully Vunipola is back if not Joubert and wray to start at 8 and 6 respectively to help with the carrying.

You guys got Craig Joubert playing for you ? Damn...
And yes, would like to see Billy V in action in a big game like this one. And seriously, the Sarries have got to do something about that Goode guy...in all of England and foreigners too, they can't find ONE GUY who's better ?? So strange...for such a quality club. He was precious against France last Feb, and I'm very grateful for his service amongst the French ranks. He may have given us the win. If he keeps it up, we really should consider giving him the medal of honor.

And seriously, the Sarries have got to do something about that Goode guy...in all of England and foreigners too, they can't find ONE GUY who's better ?? So strange...for such a quality club.
We have a player called Chris Wyles who is a very good utility player, can play 11,12,13,14,15 and he might play but Goode has an excellent kicking game. It is a weird one because if you watch Goode for Saracens he is a much better player then he is for England, because his pace isn't exploited as much in club games. We use him as a second playmaker and when he plays like a 10 he looks better, we played Bath and our fly-half pulled out injured before the game, he came in at 10 and played brilliantly even got a drop goal against the 3rd best team in England. In the next couple of years Ben Ransom will come in to start at full-back, he's come through our ranks and he looks electric. He is in the same ilk as Brice Dulin, obviously no where near that standard yet but with time he could be a great, fast running full-back

well England are settled with Mike Brown for years and years to come now. But Goode at FB has been a real burden for England those past few tests. You would know better of course but the few games I saw the Saracens play he wasn't fantastic either this year...oh well, I'm sure the Sarries know what they're doing or else they wouldn't keep him this whole time, but he really seems to an outsider like me like a considerably weak link.
In fact one can only respect them more for being able to keep and use a guy like that efficiently for a club that's well oiled and plays so hard and well together.

If you look at France right now, the staff is basically relying on their players for individual brilliance and winning personal matchups consistently. A guy like Goode for France would be a disaster. So props to the Sarries for making something out of him.

Saffycen I apologize in advance, but this was on my Facebook news feed homepage, just clicked in my head, had to post this here:
1480702_467832099984473_2100289515_n.jpg

Huget break on the second (?) try.

Goode looks like one of those players who excels at club level and is just missing something for the step up. I wish he'd moved to 10 somewhere, he is a very talented player, but won't be an England full-back again barring a massive slice of luck. I'd rather he wasn't playing against us tbh.

"excels at club level" ? Isn't that an UBER exaggeration almighty from the Heavens themselves if I may inquire ?? I'm fine with "he does well and holds his own for the Sarries" but there's no way the guy I've seen play in white "excels" anywhere...at all.

"excels at club level" ? Isn't that an UBER exaggeration almighty from the Heavens themselves if I may inquire ?? I'm fine with "he does well and holds his own for the Sarries" but there's no way the guy I've seen play in white "excels" anywhere...at all.

It's not. If you want to see how he goes at club level, watch him at club level. I thought I'd made it adequately clear that his ability at club level and at international level in no way reflect each other.

I've seen the Saracens play...like full matches. And what I'm saying is that guy who couldn't tackle Huget and that softness in general on D, that same guy who looks totally lost when he grabs a high ball and a defender's in his grill and hasn't got a back's move in the world to put on him, that same guy who looks completely out of place when he tries the sidestepping and dancing on opposing backs, that same guy who counters in such an awfully predictable way...those are all intrinsic elements or realities of his game. He may be more at ease and confident with the Sarries and they ask for fundamental, basic FB duties out of him which he fulfills, but compared to those other guys in the world who can add an entire other dimension to the fullback position he's just 2 or 3 levels below, I don't care if he's wearing white or that (really cool) Sarries jersey.

Ronan O'Gara was unparalleled at 10 in European rugby when playing for Munster, not so much on the international stage. It happens.

I agree with everything said about him
Ewis that photo shows everything you need to know about him, Huget isn't a lightning fast winger but yet Goode can't get near him. And he really does do well at club level, he was so good at club level he got selected to play for England. He actually played his best game against the All Blacks but I think that is because of Barritt's excellent game, I will explain. Goode's one on one defence can be ****ing terrible but with Barritt and Bosch in the centres teams try to go round us and he just finds it easier pushing them up too the touchline.

PeatHe will never play for England at full-back again. Now I want to see what he can do at 10/12 as he has the skillset, just no running game. He's only 25 and he can definitely change his game to play at 10 and when Hodgson retires I really want us to look at him at fly-half.

For this game he will be invaluable with his fielding and kicking game against Jackson and Pienaar's box kicking, we need him and Farrell too have a great kicking game and keep Ulster in their 22 because if they get ahead we struggle chasing points.

Fair enough if you disagree Ewis - for my money, he has a sufficient breaking game at club level, and his positioning and playmaking are hugely standout qualities that are a massive part of what makes Sarries tick. He earned his shot at an England shirt by being one of the best full-backs in England. As Saffycen says, the presence of Goode makes dominating Sarries territorialy difficult.

Latest posts