• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

June International Test: South Africa vs. Ireland [2nd Test] (18/06/2016)

Hard to call this next match. The first match threw up more questions than answers regarding the Boks.

Theyll know the Irish players a bit better now and they should be better themselves. The question is, how much better? They've a lot to work on in a week.

I think Ireland can improve also. The players will have more confidence now and they're still going in as underdogs.

Rumours Olding may see the field this week. I'd presume he's taking Madigans jersey if true.

I'd love to see Olding included in the squad but I doubt Schmidt will drop Madigan. Picking Olding would be a real statement of intent, in terms of attacking rugby.

Hard to call this next match. The first match threw up more questions than answers regarding the Boks.

Theyll know the Irish players a bit better now and they should be better themselves. The question is, how much better? They've a lot to work on in a week.

I think Ireland can improve also. The players will have more confidence now and they're still going in as underdogs.

I'd love to see Olding included in the squad but I doubt Schmidt will drop Madigan. Picking Olding would be a real statement of intent, in terms of attacking rugby.

I expect we will loose simply because last week took a lot out of us. Factor in altitude and a SA backlash. Surely there'll be 1. I hope we are still in it come last 20 though. It could be fun then. But altitude and our guys on week 50/51 of long season it'll be tough. McGrath has huge milage up so I hope he's monitored close and plays 50 max with Ross

McGrath
Best
Ross
Toner
Henderson
Ruddock
Murphy
Heaslip

Murray
Jackson
Earls
Marshall
Henshaw
Trimble
Payne

Cronin
Kilcoyne
Furlong
Dillane
Reidy
Marmion
Olding
Gilroy

Could also see Dillane starting with Henderson dropping back to 6 to cover the banned Stander and Ryan coming into the 19 shirt with Ruddock dropping to the bench. I reckon we'll see the first as it guarantees the least disruption. Ruddock is a quality player as well and isn't much of drop in quality from Stander.

South Africa looked into total disarray, like a team that had never met each other before. Ireland looked the well-organized Schmidt-coached side and that's all they needed to be to beat this Bok side.

Ireland need to go for the jugular.

I really feel Ireland have a serious chance of winning the series next test - more so than England in all honesty. I'm sure the Saffas will improve but Ireland were so much better, in such adversity that I might even put them favourites. And SA have a LOT of improving to do

Ruddock is a quality player as well and isn't much of drop in quality from Stander.

I'd consider him a bit slow on the hard ground. In saying that, Ruddock as you indicate, is a good player - just not at the quality of Henderson at 6.

I'd definitely go Dillane to 5 and Henderson to 6.
But of course, Dillane hasn't been around the squad that long, so won't know the systems. :rolleyes:
[He needs to wait for 4 or 5 injuries to stack up before getting his chance - then we'll be left wondering why we didn't do it sooner --- like replacing one-paced Raaab Koorney with Payne.]

I'd consider him a bit slow on the hard ground. In saying that, Ruddock as you indicate, is a good player - just not at the quality of Henderson at 6.

I'd definitely go Dillane to 5 and Henderson to 6.
But of course, Dillane hasn't been around the squad that long, so won't know the systems. :rolleyes:
[He needs to wait for 4 or 5 injuries to stack up before getting his chance - then we'll be left wondering why we didn't do it sooner --- like replacing one-paced Raaab Koorney with Payne.]

I only got round to watching the game on record last night. Payne is a far better 15 than centre based on that evidence, can see what all the Irish moaning has been about in that score!

Rumored Irish team accoring to Thornley. Pretty surprised at this if true. Namely Olding.
[FONT=&amp]Payne, Trimble, Henshaw, Olding, Gilroy, Jackson, Murray; McGrath, Best, Ross, Dillane/Roux, Toner, Henderson, Ruddock, Heaslip.[/FONT]

Rumored Irish team accoring to Thornley. Pretty surprised at this if true. Namely Olding.
[FONT=&amp]Payne, Trimble, Henshaw, Olding, Gilroy, Jackson, Murray; McGrath, Best, Ross, Dillane/Roux, Toner, Henderson, Ruddock, Heaslip.[/FONT]

If true fair play to Schmidt. He's rotating smartly and avoiding burnout but keeping a form of consistency. I'd rather keep Henderson at lock simply as more games we get him there the better but overall I'd be happy.
Jordi, Earls and Marshall were all excellent last week and spent alot of energy so smart to keep them in reserve and be smart as we have a 3rd test too.

If true fair play to Schmidt. He's rotating smartly and avoiding burnout but keeping a form of consistency. I'd rather keep Henderson at lock simply as more games we get him there the better but overall I'd be happy.
Jordi, Earls and Marshall were all excellent last week and spent alot of energy so smart to keep them in reserve and be smart as we have a 3rd test too.

With Dillane cementing an international spot for the next x out of nowhere and the clock ticking down to Ryan's seemingly inevitable ascent to the Irish team, is there less of a need to have Henderson concentrate absolutely on lock? Not that Ireland aren't doing decently at blindside too but the situation is less "Help me Hendy Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope".

With Dillane cementing an international spot for the next x out of nowhere and the clock ticking down to Ryan's seemingly inevitable ascent to the Irish team, is there less of a need to have Henderson concentrate absolutely on lock? Not that Ireland aren't doing decently at blindside too but the situation is less "Help me Hendy Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope".

With POM, SOB and CJ all out there, they are lacking a bit on the blindside. I'd like to see Henderson there this game.

True in 1 sense but Dillane still making his way Henderson is the real deal and personally I see his future at lock. He's a top player regardless of being lock or 6. I just think his future is at lock.

I was expecting to be coming on here to rant about the team and how it never changes... but **** me!

15. Jared Payne
14. Andrew Trimble
13. Robbie Henshaw
12. Stuart Olding
11. Craig Gilroy
10. Paddy Jackson
9. Conor Murray

1. Jack McGrath
2. Rory Best (captain)
3 Tadhg Furlong
4. Devin Toner
5. Quinn Roux
6. Iain Henderson
7. Rhys Ruddock
8. Jamie Heaslip

Replacements:

16. Richardt Strauss
17. Dave Kilcoyne
18. Finlay Bealham
19. Donnacha Ryan
20. Sean Reidy
21. Kieran Marmion
22. Ian Madigan
23. Tiernan O'Halloran

Dunno why Quinn Roux is starting instead of Dillane, but sure, we'll see on Sat I guess.

I was expecting to be coming on here to rant about the team and how it never changes... but **** me!

15. Jared Payne
14. Andrew Trimble
13. Robbie Henshaw
12. Stuart Olding
11. Craig Gilroy
10. Paddy Jackson
9. Conor Murray

1. Jack McGrath
2. Rory Best (captain)
3 Tadhg Furlong
4. Devin Toner
5. Quinn Roux
6. Iain Henderson
7. Rhys Ruddock
8. Jamie Heaslip

Replacements:

16. Richardt Strauss
17. Dave Kilcoyne
18. Finlay Bealham
19. Donnacha Ryan
20. Sean Reidy
21. Kieran Marmion
22. Ian Madigan
23. Tiernan O'Halloran

Dunno why Quinn Roux is starting instead of Dillane, but sure, we'll see on Sat I guess.
Quinn Roux is strange. Quite clearly playing the odds that the third test is the game to win! That backline could do damage though!

He's got it right. Roux starting is fair enough as he's using squad. He's rested the 3 rightfully and I hope McGrath and Furlong play 50mins max. I've no problem with Payne going 13 after 50-60 and TOH replacing Henshaw. Schmidt has selected with the brain of balancing trying to win this game and not loosing 3rd test Saturday. Hard to be critical of him regardless of result Saturday. The onus is on players now.

Last edited:
True in 1 sense but Dillane still making his way Henderson is the real deal and personally I see his future at lock. He's a top player regardless of being lock or 6. I just think his future is at lock.

Time will tell. I'd agree he'll make it regardless of lock or 6 now, its just up to how much he wants to keep improving, how determined he is to win and how lucky he is with injuries as to how far he goes. Sometimes get the feeling he still finds it comes a little easy because of how much of a freak he is.

Time will tell. I'd agree he'll make it regardless of lock or 6 now, its just up to how much he wants to keep improving, how determined he is to win and how lucky he is with injuries as to how far he goes. Sometimes get the feeling he still finds it comes a little easy because of how much of a freak he is.

Meant Furlong not Ross for 55min change.
Yes Henderson has history of injuries but he does supposedly have a good appetite and work rate so hopefully he will continue to improve and realise his freakish attributes are just a base and still need development.
I'm bit saddened to see no Dillane though.

South Africa: 15 Willie le Roux, 14 JP Pietersen, 13 Lionel Mapoe, 12 Damian de Allende, 11 Lwazi Mvovo, 10 Elton Jantjies, 9 Francois de Klerk, 8 Duane Vermeulen, 7 Siya Kolisi, 6 Francois Louw, 5 Pieter-Steph du Toit, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Frans Malherbe, 2 Adriaan Strauss (captain), 1 Tendai Mtawarira.
Replacements: 16 Bongi Mbonambi, 17 Trevor Nyakane, 18 Julian Redelinghuys, 19 Franco Mostert, 20 Warren Whiteley, 21 Rudy Paige 22 Morne Steyn, 23 Ruan Combrinck.

Team is basically the same, marginally better in my opinion due to PsdT starting and Combrink on the bench over J Kriel.
I'd say I agree with AC's decision to keep continuity but I'm sure there will be a ton of complaints.

Sorry to go off subject but just spoke to someone out on the tour who had this to say.
Schmidt has allowed Farrell and Easterby a huge amount of input and influence on selection as they are set to lead Ireland in next 6 Nations as Schmidt will announce his departure very soon. Some of paper work with NZRU has already been signed reportedly.

Sorry to go off subject but just spoke to someone out on the tour who had this to say.
Schmidt has allowed Farrell and Easterby a huge amount of input and influence on selection as they are set to lead Ireland in next 6 Nations as Schmidt will announce his departure very soon. Some of paper work with NZRU has already been signed reportedly.

Hmm. Interesting.

Well, I know there are family matters that are top of his priority list and its understandable if he feels the need to head home. While I give him a hard time, hes a good coach if a questionable selector - and if he does go, I'll wish him the best of luck for the future.

Latest posts