• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

June International Test: South Africa vs. Ireland [2nd Test] (18/06/2016)

Ireland beef up the pack. I think they'll use Henderson to run at the Bok backs especially Janties and De Klerk.

Good to see the likes of Olding, Furlong and Gilroy get a start.

Sorry to go off subject but just spoke to someone out on the tour who had this to say.
Schmidt has allowed Farrell and Easterby a huge amount of input and influence on selection as they are set to lead Ireland in next 6 Nations as Schmidt will announce his departure very soon. Some of paper work with NZRU has already been signed reportedly.

A few months back on the silver fern forum, a poster said he had it on good authority that Schmidt had sent in his CV to the Crusaders.

Sorry to go off subject but just spoke to someone out on the tour who had this to say.
Schmidt has allowed Farrell and Easterby a huge amount of input and influence on selection as they are set to lead Ireland in next 6 Nations as Schmidt will announce his departure very soon. Some of paper work with NZRU has already been signed reportedly.
God I hope that's not true! An Easterby - Farrell ticket could work but those guys aren't anywhere near as astute as, nor can they read the game better than, Joe. There's also few enough backs coaches floating around that are anywhere near Schmidt's class.

Definetly believe this, if Schmidt is still coaching us in November I'll be surprised. Do you reckon Les Kiss will be pulled out of Ulster? Seems a little unfair on them TBH having him installed then yanked out again. Let Farrell/Easterby run with the team while brining another in or keep Farrell and Easterby where they are and bring somebody other than Kiss in on top of them?

Haven't much more on it just it seems Schmidt is going home. Not sure is Lions on horizon before he goes but like Amiga I'd agree he's a debatable selector but world class coach

So he wants to beat the All Blacks and go home Muff or is he out as soon as we win this test series do you know? The only way I see him leaving Ireland is by winning big, something he's done every season since taking over in Dublin in 2010!

So he wants to beat the All Blacks and go home Muff or is he out as soon as we win this test series do you know? The only way I see him leaving Ireland is by winning big, something he's done every season since taking over in Dublin in 2010!

That's where I'm confused. I know he's highly tipped to take Highlanders job but thats not free until 2017. So he may have Lions job and thats why Easterby and Farrell are being groomed as acting head coaches.
Schmidt has made it clear he will be returning to NZ sooner rather than later due to his desire to manage All Black mixed with personal issues which is fully understandable.
Being fair I'd argue has he taken us as far as he can if he gets a tour win. He may hang on until after November to try and grab win over All Blacks but if he gets Lions job I think it rules him out of November games.

He's a fantastic coach and I'd question how much of the selection issues have been him under pressure from the IRFU to win the next game no matter what. I think the next coach will find themselves in the exact same position.

Also haven't the IRFU said they'd only release Schmidt for a Lions tour if he signed a new contract?

Marshall rotated not injured.
And no Peat I think IRFU are understanding of his scenario and said they won't stand in his way. Regards selection I wouldn't say higher arch would've interfered too much but it is a results business

Marshall rotated not injured.
And no Peat I think IRFU are understanding of his scenario and said they won't stand in his way. Regards selection I wouldn't say higher arch would've interfered too much but it is a results business

I've seen direct quotes from Nucifora to that point. Maybe he's changed his mind.

And I'm not saying they've interfered, I'm saying they put on a lot of pressure that leads to conservative mindsets.

I've seen direct quotes from Nucifora to that point. Maybe he's changed his mind.

And I'm not saying they've interfered, I'm saying they put on a lot of pressure that leads to conservative mindsets.

I think there was change of opinion on it. I may be wrong as I know at start Schmidt himself said he couldnt do it but then it came out IRFU wouldn't block it.

On selection thing I'd say it very hard to gauge you may be right but I don't know

Ah right because I thought he was very good in the 1st test and was surprised he wasn't in the 23.

Yea he was brilluant but I think it's a case of being smart dealing with altitude and knowing that there's a big 3rd test too

I think there was change of opinion on it. I may be wrong as I know at start Schmidt himself said he couldnt do it but then it came out IRFU wouldn't block it.

On selection thing I'd say it very hard to gauge you may be right but I don't know

Fair enough if they've changed. Incidentally, see no reason taking on a Lions role would stop him from coaching in November. Au contraire; if I was appointing Schmidt Lions head coach, I'd be rancid desperate to have him coach those two games in November.

Fair enough if they've changed. Incidentally, see no reason taking on a Lions role would stop him from coaching in November. Au contraire; if I was appointing Schmidt Lions head coach, I'd be rancid desperate to have him coach those two games in November.

Again I may be wrong but is logic from Lions that they must remove themselves to be free to attend other nations games too. I could be totally wrong on that too.
As Alpha and Lynam suggest though a back coach should be brought in short term if Joe goes. I don't think Kiss would come back unless it's overall boss. Alpha I'd disagree on Easterby point though. He's an excellent reader of game and proved a lot when with Scarlets and I think he'll have benefitted from being with Schmidt too.

Last edited:
One of the heaviest packs I've ever seen us put out anyway. Certainly a big change from how Irish teams used to look when compared to SA teams.
On Schmidt, it will be a real shame to see him go, as he's one of the best there is and a hero in this country despite the tribal province mentality he's exposed to. I don't think he's got everything right in his time here, but he's only human, and in my opinion he's one of the most talented coaches ever to coach on these shores. He has his reasons for going to NZ (sick son, dream of the NZ gig), and I wish him the best whatever he does. Really classy operator and a great man.

Pat Lam for Ireland says I.

Pat Lam for Ireland says I.
By God I hope not. While I like many others have crawled into the comfort and warmth of Pat Lam's jock at times this season, his transformation of Connacht took how many years on a squad he meets every day? It took Irish fans half a bad season For them to jump down Schmidt's throat. It's a really unforgiving job which a lot of people make pretty thankless during times of even slight difficulty. He's done a great job with Connacht, but his coaching record prior to that isn't great, and this is his first successful season in truth. You just don't get the level of exposure and control over your players as a national coach. In addition I want him to keep going with the Connacht project as I think they could regress pretty easily without him. Whatever he's doing there is working but I don't think it can be brought to the national role.
Who would be a good fit? No bleeding idea sadly.
sorry for totally hijacking this thread with my Schmidt soliloquy.

By God I hope not. While I like many others have crawled into the comfort and warmth of Pat Lam's jock at times this season, his transformation of Connacht took how many years on a squad he meets every day? It took Irish fans half a bad season For them to jump down Schmidt's throat. It's a really unforgiving job which a lot of people make pretty thankless during times of even slight difficulty. He's done a great job with Connacht, but his coaching record prior to that isn't great, and this is his first successful season in truth. You just don't get the level of exposure and control over your players as a national coach. In addition I want him to keep going with the Connacht project as I think they could regress pretty easily without him. Whatever he's doing there is working but I don't think it can be brought to the national role.
Who would be a good fit? No bleeding idea sadly.
sorry for totally hijacking this thread with my Schmidt soliloquy.

When's Jono Gibbs contract up at Clermont, he knows the Irish rugby system, etc, etc. Him or Lam would be my choices.

Latest posts