• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[June Tests 2018: 1st Test] Australia vs. Ireland (09/06/2018)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
daFCYgK.png

SxGOCQa.png
j7lEIMe.png
gI004IH.png

Venue: Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane
Time: 12:05 (CAT, GMT+2)

Last edited:
The general template for these tours is to go first choice in the first game and then mess around a bit for the second and third games. With all that in mind and assuming that Henderson and Henshaw won't be risked, I'd like to see: Healy, Cronin, Furlong, Beirne (yay), Ryan, POM, Leavy, Stander, Murray, Sexton, Stockdale, Aki, Ringrose, Earls, Kearney with Herring, McGrath, Porter, Toner, Nordi, Cooney, Turncoat, Larmour on the bench.

Turncoat is Joey Carbery for those who aren't aware. Given that Joe will probably pick Conway>Larmour, it's likely that all our replacement backs will be Leinstermen no longer playing for Leinster.

Interesting in how some media quotes demonstrate the difference in approaches between the team. Genoa and Folau suggest they've done little analysis of Ireland and know very little of how we play, James Ryan gives a fairly thorough run down mentioning some players that wouldn't be the first players you think of when playing Australia.

Interesting in how some media quotes demonstrate the difference in approaches between the team. Genoa and Folau suggest they've done little analysis of Ireland and know very little of how we play, James Ryan gives a fairly thorough run down mentioning some players that wouldn't be the first players you think of when playing Australia.
Wouldn't read much into it, the Aussies were playing Super Rugby until last weekend, Cheiks will have em prepared.

Wouldn't read much into it, the Aussies were playing Super Rugby until last weekend, Cheiks will have em prepared.

**** off, I'm busy trolling to see if we actually have any Australians on this board.

Very Aussie thing to say, "Wait, who are you again? If we beat you without preparing that would be embarrassing for you, if you beat us though - we didn't really care. What's rugby union?"

Izzy definitely ******* with the press. As ugo monye said tho, some players just don't like watching rugby and just do what they're told. Brodie Retallick could only name "Michael Lawes" an an england player in 2014

Izzy definitely ******* with the press. As ugo monye said tho, some players just don't like watching rugby and just do what they're told. Brodie Retallick could only name "Michael Lawes" an an england player in 2014

Jamie Heaslip was fairly well known for not watching rugby for fun, he'd still be the consummate professional and no a lot about his opponents. I do think there is a genuine difference in approaches. NZ and Aus seem to be more internally focused, now obviously they do some analysis on opposition but it doesn't seem to be as big a focus as it is for the NH sides. Hence how Sean Cronin always seems to surprise some SH centre and take them on the outside. :D

Brian Retallick please! ;) IIRC nobody was really sure whether he was joking or not.

The general template for these tours is to go first choice in the first game and then mess around a bit for the second and third games. With all that in mind and assuming that Henderson and Henshaw won't be risked, I'd like to see: Healy, Cronin, Furlong, Beirne (yay), Ryan, POM, Leavy, Stander, Murray, Sexton, Stockdale, Aki, Ringrose, Earls, Kearney with Herring, McGrath, Porter, Toner, Nordi, Cooney, Turncoat, Larmour on the bench.

ha, I like it!

Jamie Heaslip was fairly well known for not watching rugby for fun, he'd still be the consummate professional and no a lot about his opponents. I do think there is a genuine difference in approaches. NZ and Aus seem to be more internally focused, now obviously they do some analysis on opposition but it doesn't seem to be as big a focus as it is for the NH sides. Hence how Sean Cronin always seems to surprise some SH centre and take them on the outside. :D
I'm sure they will know the Irish boys after Saturday.
Australia is not in a good spot

I have not seen much super rugby this year so can't judge the Aussies. It should be a tough test for us seeing as they're at home and beat NZ there last time.

I've no problem with them not knowing much about the Irish team. Better that then showering the Irish players with compliments.

I have not seen much super rugby this year so can't judge the Aussies. It should be a tough test for us seeing as they're at home and beat NZ there last time.

I've no problem with them not knowing much about the Irish team. Better that then showering the Irish players with compliments.
I think Aus are basically an unknown quantity. They could show up and be superb but equally be smashed.
But this Irish group a drilled so much that I think they may have front foot. Equally Ireland looking but learning about fringe players is acceptable

The Irish Times has this team:

Kearney, Earls, Henshaw, Aki, Stockdale, Carbery, Murray, McGrath, Herring, Ryan, Henderson, Ryan, O'Mahony (C), Murphy, Stander.

That's essentially a first choice team excluding anyone who started the pro14 final. (James Ryan is God reborn so he doesn't count plus Toner and Beirne did as well so he couldn't not pick any of them, Kearney was rested for the semi.)

Probably the right decision as the Leinster players and Beirne have played a lot of rugby recently. This team is nowhere near full strength, it'll be amazing if they pull it off.

We've also got two threads for this game going on, worth fixing.

The Irish Times has this team:

Kearney, Earls, Henshaw, Aki, Stockdale, Carbery, Murray, McGrath, Herring, Ryan, Henderson, Ryan, O'Mahony (C), Murphy, Stander.

That's essentially a first choice team excluding anyone who started the pro14 final. (James Ryan is God reborn so he doesn't count plus Toner and Beirne did as well so he couldn't not pick any of them, Kearney was rested for the semi.)

Probably the right decision as the Leinster players and Beirne have played a lot of rugby recently. This team is nowhere near full strength, it'll be amazing if they pull it off.

We've also got two threads for this game going on, worth fixing.
Is it not case Toner is essentially being phased put. Ryan and Henderson with Beirne is the way I'd see it going for RWC. Leavy out injured too.
That backline looks like it could be fun. It's a big game for Carbery. Not from Munster POV but generally I'm glad he's out on pitch now after move confirmed just to let him get back to business and see how he goes. These are tests he needs. John Ryan finished season very well so hopefully he carries that form on. I still worry about McGrath decline in form so hopefully he can pick it up. Herring again unsure. Backrow is no fear. CJ and POM need to have big games and Jordi finished season very strong

Ireland: Rob Kearney; Keith Earls, Robbie Henshaw, Bundee Aki, Jacob Stockdale; Joey Carbery, Conor Murray; Jack McGrath, Rob Herring, John Ryan; Iain Henderson, James Ryan; Peter O'Mahony (capt), Jordi Murphy, CJ Stander.

Replacements: Sean Cronin, Cian Healy, Tadhg Furlong, Quinn Roux, Jack Conan, Kieran Marmion, Johnny Sexton, Jordan Larmour.

Australia: Israel Folau; Marika Koroibete, Samu Kerevi, Kurtley Beale,Dane Haylett-Petty; Bernard Foley, Will Genia; Scott Sio, Brandon Paenga-Amosa, Sekope Kepu; Izack Rodda, Adam Coleman; David Pocock, Michael Hooper (Capt), Caleb Timu.

Replacements: Tolu Latu, Allan Alaalatoa, Taniela Tupou, Rob Simmons, Lukhan Tui, Pete Samu, Nick Phipps, Reece Hodge.

Latest posts