• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[November Tests 2016 EOYT] Romania vs. USA (12/11/2016)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
Romania.png
attachment.php
United%20States.png

Venue: Arcul de Triumf
Time: 18:00 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

A bit worrying to read the concerns over Romanian selections. I remember reading something similar for the last Romania vs Georgia game. Picking someone who may not have even played in the Suoerliga seems odd. Howell said he'd step down in the next year or two, which might not be a bad thing. I think the US are also far from settled at the moment so I'd like to think Romania will have enough to edge it. Good to see some Steaua lads in the starting lineup rather than just Vlaicu. Also good ignore is steamed live in Romania.

There are a few dubious selections in the Oaks squad but you can't compare it with the Georgia match, where Romania basically sent a reserve squad. Howells likes to select talented youngsters but they are usually only kept in the wider squad, not actually used.

Also, why a new topic about this match? I created one earlier, with more information.

Apologies Dragos, I read a couple of threads with info on this game then came back later to comment and went into this thread that Heineken kindly created at the start of the week. No harm intended.

I'll be disappointed if Romania can't win this despite recent history being on the US side on this fixture. Winning by 15 points for maximum ranking points is probably a step too far though.

Last edited:
You're right, my bad, I didn't notice there was already another topic.

I will also be disappointed if we lose but we are not the favourites in this match. We lack a few key players and somehow the USA have always managed to go around our forwards every time we played them. They also have the advantage of extra preparation, having played a strong test last week already. It would have been better for us to start with the Uruguay match.

I caught the last 20mins of the first half and thought Romania were going to run out comfortable winners, already being 20-0 up. Then I caught the last 20mins of the match and thought they were going to lose it. What happened to change the match? Do you think the US players had better fitness?

Positives for both teams though with Romania finally beating the USA, and the USA actually showing their first glimpse of improved performance under Mitchell.

Well, you were right about the outcome.

I think Romania's poor performance in the second half was due to complacency after a very dominant first half and also because of a very weak bench, with many unexperienced players. It's normal for the Oaks to only play well for one half, usually it's the second though.

Anyway, it's a great win for us (we beat them only once, in 1999), especially since we managed to win without being dominant at the scrum. Our backline play has improved a lot and now we no longer play just 8-man rugby, we can win even if our forwards are not crushing their opponents.

Sounds like the game came to life in the second half as the USA staged a comeback
not really, Oaks backline was an issue for Eagles especially with the way they alternated the style of play. Comeback is much said considering Oaks fielded quite a few 19-20 yo players.

In first half USA did not exist, in the second half they had possession but nothing else.

Last edited:
that was really funny, a half with one try is more lively than a half with three tries

Latest posts