• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[November Tests 2017 EOYT] Ireland vs. Fiji (18/11/2017)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
Ireland.png
Versus%20Telstra.png
Fiji.png

Venue: Aviva Stadium
Time: 19:30 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

Should be good game time for the younger guys. Unfortunately its unlikely to be structured enough and indeed, close enough, to learn much from.

This will be a cool match as we'll get to see a lot of our younger guys have a real go at it. Fiji are one of the most entertaining teams out there and I love getting a chance to see them play. That can be said about any PI team to be honest. I think it's great they manage to be so competitive at rugby despite their tiny populations and financial woes. I'm hoping for a try fest that Ireland win comfortably.

For the Argentina game, I'd like to see a full strength A squad. I'd like for Ireland to really hammer them and send out a statement. Our three-time WC mishaps against the Argies probably won't ever be made up for but bouncing them is the best next thing. At the end of the day, I just want to see Ireland play ruthlessly and clinically.

This will be a cool match as we'll get to see a lot of our younger guys have a real go at it. Fiji are one of the most entertaining teams out there and I love getting a chance to see them play. That can be said about any PI team to be honest. I think it's great they manage to be so competitive at rugby despite their tiny populations and financial woes. I'm hoping for a try fest that Ireland win comfortably.

For the Argentina game, I'd like to see a full strength A squad. I'd like for Ireland to really hammer them and send out a statement. Our three-time WC mishaps against the Argies probably won't ever be made up for but bouncing them is the best next thing. At the end of the day, I just want to see Ireland play ruthlessly and clinically.
Can't disagree with that, I really want to hammer Argentina, absolutely hate their guts (Although the reasons why would only please their fans, 1999, 2007, 2015). No reason why we shouldn't on Saturday's viewings as we should really be stamping our position as a top three side in the world with intentions of making top 2 in the next 12 months.

TO'D and Leavy out, Ryan and Earls gone back to Munster to rehab so presumably not involved this week.

Murphy and Reidy have been called up. Presumably Porter will start. Lucky for him Fiji aren't much of a set piece team.

Eddie The Dagger always worth a listen:

http://www.the42.ie/bundee-aki-3694342-Nov2017/

Short version; if Henshaw is to be Irelands 13, who is Leinsters 13? [We've been here before op Nord, with Payne shoehorned into 13 whereas we'd have been better playing him at 15.]
Bit premature ennit? Henshaw didn't really play that well at 13 and hasn't for Leinster with the exception of the Montpellier game, he's second choice for Leinster and Ireland at 13 and first choice 12 for both. Aki and potentially McCloskey have to fight Henshaw to start because I think Ringrose is the only actual 13 in this country.

Bit premature ennit? Henshaw didn't really play that well at 13 and hasn't for Leinster with the exception of the Montpellier game, he's second choice for Leinster and Ireland at 13 and first choice 12 for both. Aki and potentially McCloskey have to fight Henshaw to start because I think Ringrose is the only actual 13 in this country.

You reckon its Aki/Henshaw/McCloskey/Scannell for 12 and Ringrose/...?/...? for 13?

You reckon its Aki/Henshaw/McCloskey/Scannell for 12 and Ringrose/...?/...? for 13?
Pretty much, Henshaw is definitely a better 12, his slow hands aren't as much of an issue there and Ringrose is a far more dangerous runner and passer in the outside channels. After Ringrose you have Payne if he ever gets back and isn't used at 15 and Henshaw can jump in there well but neither are first team starters having seen Ringrose raise the level.

Would love to see Reidy get a bit of time on the field - would be a good reward for the shite he's had to practically carry here for the past 2 years.

Not the biggest or most athletic, but a really smart footballer.
He's been a really good signing for Ulster. Not elite by any means but always performs his tasks well.

Given the injuries and callups, along with the coach's tendency to cap everyone in a series, this is what I expect:

Conway, Sweetnam, Farrell, McCloskey, D Kearney, Carbery, Marmion; McGrath, Herring, Porter, Ryan, Dillane, Ruddock, Murphy, Conan.
Tracy, Kilcoyne, Furlong, Treadwell, Reidy, McGrath, Keatley, Byrne

How Dave Kearney may start is beyond me? Byrne deserves a start. Rest seems to be easy to guess as Snoop has pointed reasons. Surrised a THO wasn't drafted in. Porter is still unknown and well I want Furlong rested this week. We could'v maybe done with a back 3 guy in to cover IF Earls is out for rest.

Can see Rob Kearney maybe play again this week. He was the 1 who was poor last week and it was universally ahreed he was poor. Add in he has no game time added in with an attmpt to find form and well move on I'd be expecting him to play

How Dave Kearney may start is beyond me? Byrne deserves a start. Rest seems to be easy to guess as Snoop has pointed reasons. Surrised a THO wasn't drafted in. Porter is still unknown and well I want Furlong rested this week. We could'v maybe done with a back 3 guy in to cover IF Earls is out for rest.

Can see Rob Kearney maybe play again this week. He was the 1 who was poor last week and it was universally ahreed he was poor. Add in he has no game time added in with an attmpt to find form and well move on I'd be expecting him to play
I too would prefer to see Adam Byrne play but if he does, a back three of Byrne, Sweetnam and Conway is very inexperienced. Your suggestion of Rob Kearney starting with Byrne and Sweetnam on the wings makes a lot of sense.

Surely it would make more sense to let your current back three settle than to hand out some meaningless caps against Fiji. Are you not happy with Stockdale and Conway on the wings? Because if so, why not give them more experience.

I too would prefer to see Adam Byrne play but if he does, a back three of Byrne, Sweetnam and Conway is very inexperienced. Your suggestion of Rob Kearney starting with Byrne and Sweetnam on the wings makes a lot of sense.
Agree the 3 is inexperienced but all used to big games and wouldn't have fear of them.

But yeah I'd be expecting Rob for host of reasons. Even Schmidt would know Kearney starting vs Art with so little game ime and only on the back of S.A. display would be wrong. If he is to play vs Art he needs game time and form

Surely it would make more sense to let your current back three settle than to hand out some meaningless caps against Fiji. Are you not happy with Stockdale and Conway on the wings? Because if so, why not give them more experience.
They always rotate as most do

They always rotate as most do
Surely though when they have 7 caps between them in an area as vital to Ireland as the back three you'd want to cap them as much as possible before the World Cup? Against Fiji is the ideal time for them to get some international confidence and tries under their belts. Sure; rotate the experienced lads who will benefit from a bit of a rest and don't need the caps but I think keeping Stockdale and Conway in would be far more beneficial than giving Byrne and/or Sweetnam a one off cap against a tier 2 nation.

I'd be more than happy to keep them on the wings. What I expect to see is above.

Can easily see Jacob Stockdale starting the Argentina game, 5 games in the 6 Nations and all three tests in summer 2018. Not sure Andrew Conway will as I think the other wing spot is still Keith Earls'.

Surely though when they have 7 caps between them in an area as vital to Ireland as the back three you'd want to cap them as much as possible before the World Cup? Against Fiji is the ideal time for them to get some international confidence and tries under their belts. Sure; rotate the experienced lads who will benefit from a bit of a rest and don't need the caps but I think keeping Stockdale and Conway in would be far more beneficial than giving Byrne and/or Sweetnam a one off cap against a tier 2 nation.
Not disagreeing. I agree just there is always rotation for tier 2 games

I think Ringrose should definitely be our first choice 13. I hate the phrase 'X Factor', but with Zebo gone he's our only player who really brings it to the backline. I thought the main area for improvement on Saturday was our attacking, which until the last ten minutes wasn't particularly effective. Whether he's a better player than Henshaw is up for debate but he's definitely a better 13.

Latest posts