• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[November Tests 2017 EOYT] Ireland vs. Fiji (18/11/2017)

The Big issue is captaincy. Best is a cool man and there isn't a natural progression. Any backrower can't be certain of spot, Sexton I think struggles when that added pressure is on him. He is a natural leader anyway but get annoyed easy when getting in debates with ref, Murray not a captain type and no other real candidate.

Henderson has now been the Ulster captain a few times. While I wouldn't have thought him captain material, and still have large reservations, he might grow into it.

D4heads, how good is James Ryan? Could he be a first teamer in two years time? Seemed to do a decent job captaining the U20s.
Managing the referee is no different, the issue is being good enough to lead by example and always be on the pitch. Hence, how good is he and how good could he become?

Henderson has now been the Ulster captain a few times. While I wouldn't have thought him captain material, and still have large reservations, he might grow into it.

D4heads, how good is James Ryan? Could he be a first teamer in two years time? Seemed to do a decent job captaining the U20s.
Managing the referee is no different, the issue is being good enough to lead by example and always be on the pitch. Hence, how good is he and how good could he become?

Sky's the limit for Ryan as long as he can stay fit, which is a big proviso at the moment. Still it's not unusual for young locks to go through such a phase. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up the role but I wouldn't be expecting it by 2019 either.

I don't think captaincy is a massive issue, there's a huge amount of leaders in the squad at every position group. Joe won't have a problem picking someone and I wouldn't be surprised if it's just someone who can handle the ref well. There's the usual candidates but my dark horse is Henshaw.

I'm not sure many are hyping Andrew Porter. Most accept that he's behind Tadhg Furlong, John Ryan, Finlay Bealham and Michael Bent in the pecking order on what he's shown so far. You could argue that Wiehann Herbst, Stephen Archer and Rodney Ah You would be ahead of him too. What is rightly being suggested is that he has the potential to be ahead of most on that list.

Tony Buckley is still fresh in a lot of peoples minds as somebody else with big potential who didn't live up to it despite having a good career so most are being rightly cautious about Porter rather than proclaiming him a future superstar.

Going off on a tangent but Simon Best was a huge loss to Irish rugby when he retired at 30. He had a lot of experience and was primed to take over from John Hayes. Would have been great to have him and Mike Ross competing for a few years. Massively underrated player.

I'm not sure many are hyping Andrew Porter. Most accept that he's behind Tadhg Furlong, John Ryan, Finlay Bealham and Michael Bent in the pecking order on what he's shown so far. You could argue that Wiehann Herbst, Stephen Archer and Rodney Ah You would be ahead of him too. What is rightly being suggested is that he has the potential to be ahead of most on that list.

Tony Buckley is still fresh in a lot of peoples minds as somebody else with big potential who didn't live up to it despite having a good career so most are being rightly cautious about Porter rather than proclaiming him a future superstar.

Going off on a tangent but Simon Best was a huge loss to Irish rugby when he retired at 30. He had a lot of experience and was primed to take over from John Hayes. Would have been great to have him and Mike Ross competing for a few years. Massively underrated player.

He has massive potential. Can lead a team, controls a lineout, tackles his heart out, smashes rucks, supports play like a flanker and has great hands. He's picked up a lot of injuries in the last year. Could easily see him start alongside Iain Henderson in 2019 fitness permitting. Henderson, Ultan Dillane and Ryan will have Ireland in great shape for a long time.

He's good, right behind Dev who has been our second best row after Fardy. Potential? I haven't seen anything to suggest he couldn't be Paul O'Connell good, could start in two years and it'd be best for us if he reached the level to do so by then.

One of Ruddock or POM will establish themselves in the next two years so I'm not mad worried about captain. Heaslip hasn't given in to his injury yet either.

Why do I have a feeling Sweets is going to be a star man today.

This could be a cracker of a game I feel

The Fiji Airways logo makes it look like they're sponsored by...Fiji.

Hope we don't see Nadolo vs Marmion too often.

As I said Darren Sweetnam is going to score.

Carbery with lovely running there