• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC Quarter Final: All Blacks - Argentina (09-10-2011, 20:30)

While I personally feel that I would rather have Weepu at 10 than Slade, this is how I would select the half backs for the quarterfinal against Argentina:

9: Ellis
10: Slade
20: Cowan
22: Weepu

Bring on Weepu early in the second half if the match situation allows (it hopefully should), regardless of how Slade is performing at the time. We know Weepu is a reliable option at scrum half so we don't need to have him try to prove that in a match.

If we do that, and win the match, then hopefully we'll have some answers as to how to approach selection for the semifinal.

wouldn't that mean leaving out a SBW or Guilford or Kahui (depending on who makes it on the wing)? not sure we can justify loosing guys of thier skill to baby someone, i think slade can do it but if they were that worried i wouldn't risk it

vBookie Kiwi's - Pumas

And for this match as well... Go nuts!!!

After watching the Pool games, I would like to see Weepu start over Ellis. It might help steady the game for Slade, help him out a bit. IMO Argentina wont be able to keep sustained pressure on the ABs for the full 8- minutes.

As a France rugby fan I can tell you that the best way to beat Argentina, oh wait a minute, nevermind.

Is the term "Argie" derogatory in some way? It certainly isn't meant that way. It's no different to calling an Australian and Aussie. Will stop though if it is offensive.

Yes, it's offensive. The causes are described above. I believe in your good will and I appreciate it ... despite differences among our histories.

On the Malvinas war is now complete the discussion, as said before by a compatriot.

Greetings, and to give atoms!

PD: Carter, injured in RWC 2007 & France turned the score. Best player in the world for me. Sensitive low... Be confident on the reserves. You have the best team of the planet.

PD: Pumas without Juani Hernández (no RWC 2011 at all), J.M. F. Lobbe (sub-captain), Roncero (prop), Tiesi (centre) (all starters) & Contepomi (centre or fly-half) injured. Same heart as always.

wouldn't that mean leaving out a SBW or Guilford or Kahui (depending on who makes it on the wing)? not sure we can justify loosing guys of thier skill to baby someone, i think slade can do it but if they were that worried i wouldn't risk it

Yeah, it's a selection headache all around. Guildford definitely deserves to start after scoring four tries against Canada (which I suppose could not be saying much, it was actually the first All Blacks test I haven't watched since as long as I can remember, because I went to a birthday party of someone close to me - still, had it been a knockout match I'd have skipped the party).

I find I might not be in the best position to make these kinds of opinions carry much weight considering I didn't get to watch the All Blacks play against Canada. I "heard" that Slade did well and that Weepu did very well also, and that Guildford scored four tries, but who knows how much that means against Canada.

Was at the Warriors in Sydney - didn't watch the AB's. Therefore, congrats to the Canadians on their tries. I picked 100+ and wasn't even close (mind you, this was before someone got injured)

With Carters loss - id be happy with:

9. Cowan
10. Slade
11. Kahui
12. Nonu
13. Smith
14. Dagg
15. Muliaina

We'll need a second pivot and one with a little bit more experience to know when to kick and when to pass, can't really think that Dagg has the experience, but Mils does. Dagg to run at Fullback defensively to create counter opportunities.

With that said could be best introduction to the four nations or the worst....Good Luck Los Pumas

Yeah, it's a selection headache all around. Guildford definitely deserves to start after scoring four tries against Canada (which I suppose could not be saying much, it was actually the first All Blacks test I haven't watched since as long as I can remember, because I went to a birthday party of someone close to me - still, had it been a knockout match I'd have skipped the party).

I find I might not be in the best position to make these kinds of opinions carry much weight considering I didn't get to watch the All Blacks play against Canada. I "heard" that Slade did well and that Weepu did very well also, and that Guildford scored four tries, but who knows how much that means against Canada.

I wouldn't go that far. He looked good against Fiji as well, only to blow it against the tougher teams. All I thought was that those 4 tries, if Rokocoko was in the team, would make him the highest try scorer in All Blacks history :(. Guildford did show some good speed to score them though, and he was very busy off the ball. My biggest issue with Guildford, is that he doesn't seem to have any real kind of side step or tackle breaking ability like Sivivatu, Rokocoko, Gear and Dagg all have, so he just relies on pace so that he doesn't get touched.

I thought Zac showed a good step when mils went wide and fed him, he stopped on a dime, stepped around the tackle and then straightened. Thats actually the part of his game i was most impressed with on the weekend. The one where slade drew the defence wide and then popped it back to him showed he can read what others are doing well to

I know this is going to sound crazy but zac is similar to lomu in one aspect. He's a weapon. a player someone has to unleash, I dont see him sparking something on his own (like Jane or dagg can do) but playing off someone and he never looks like he will waste an opertunity

Kahui over Guilford. I would much rather have a classy all round player like Kahui over an out and out finisher. Guilford is always in support and when given space with ball in hand he is the best finisher in the AB team with the line in front. However knockout games there wont be much space. You will need tough players. Defensively and under the high ball Kahui reins supreme. If I was ABs coach I would go for experience over youth (unless they are exceptional e.g. DAGG). All the players in the squad are playing well. So why not opt for experience?

Hence I believe this backline should start against Argentina.

9 Cowan
10 Weepu
11 Kahui
12 Nonu
13 Smith
14 Jane
15 Dagg

To me this back line looks solid yet enterprising. Lets see if the coaches have the balls to start weepu at 10, if they do I will applaud them. I thought a Weepu Slade combination would be fine. But now getting closer to QF and the last 10 mins of the Canada game. I think Weepu offers much more at 10 than Slade. He has the ability to put players into space, better at kicking for teritorry and goal kicking.

going for the pumas on this...Hope the forwards can give it

i guess a more interesting questio is what do people think GH thinks is his first xv?

blackline wise i would say

weepu
slade
kahui
nonu
smith
jane
dagg

i guess a more interesting questio is what do people think GH thinks is his first xv?

blackline wise i would say

weepu
slade
kahui
nonu
smith
jane
dagg

After so many years coaching - I don't think even he would know.

PD: All Blacks, best team ever. Just like Barcelona in football.
You mean, without the trophies, aight?

Is the term "Argie" derogatory in some way? It certainly isn't meant that way. It's no different to calling an Australian and Aussie. Will stop though if it is offensive.
It depends. Given what you wrote, i wouldn't take offense if you called me argie. I see no intention to offend.

The origin of the term ain't friendly (the sun, "gotcha", etc).
Half the times it's used in a friendly manner, while the other half, not so. I generally try to see the context (tone, etc) and act accordingly.

I have english friends who call me argie and i'm fine with it, but I'd have a very different reaction if someone who doesn't know me says it.
Let me put it this way. If i know the guy means no offense, i'll let it slide, if i'm in doubt, i'll ask, and if i know he means offense, i'll probably take a swing.

Having said that, i'd say the average argentine expat wouldn't find it offensive. I'm mentioning expats as it's a term you won't hear in Argentina.

*COUGH* Falklands...
Really? In a rugby forum?

9. Cowan
10. Slade
11. Kahui
12. Nonu
13. Smith
14. Jane
15 Dagg

Bench
Weepu
SBW

I think this game will be much closer than a lot of people think.
Having just watched the All Blacks vs Canada, a lot of their tries against us came from handling errors and missed tackles. Those 2 things Argentina outclass Canada at. Pumas play hard from 1-22, everyone hits, everyone contests every breakdown hard, and everyone looks like they'd quite happily run into front of a car (Kaino) to slow it down. They also have some experience in 11/14/15 which Canada started 3 23 year olds at quite literally gave about 5 tries away with little errors or misreads.
That being said, where Argentina falters, especially with the current injuries, is on the attack. There was little to no attack against Scotland, England and to a lesser degree Georgia.
I do expect the All Blacks to eventually break down Argentina but it will be hard fought game until that point. I expect 30-40 for ABs with a few kicks for Argentina (depends on the health of Contepomi.)

In terms of the ABs, Weepu looked way more dangerous than Slade. You look at Slade, you see someone with a lot of pressure on him. You look at Weepu you someone who hasn't shaved in a week and looks hungry. Guildford is a finisher but not a game breaker. The one people should talk about SBW who can change a game by himself. That grubber he gave Guildford for a try was excellent. His other 3 tries were a handling error, a defensive misread and another nice set up by Slade. It's the All Blacks, it really doesn't matter who starts on wing.

Last edited:
Please correct me if i´m wrong in some part:

Being N. Owens the referee for this match, and paying attention to what happend whit the Samoa-SA match and all that have been said , do you think that :

a- He will keep he´s line of judging things, no matter what it looks like ( favouring one team or the other)
b- In controversial situations, or hard to judge plays he will favour Argentina , to "show that smaller teams are treated equally to bigger " and try to erase he´s performance in the previous match ( and i´m not saying he favoured SA, I just saw some replays and read some stuff about this question , but who knows what is on Owens mind or all that have been said will affect him)
c- Again In controversial situations, or hard to judge plays he will favour AB , just because AB are No. 1 and so they are the ones doing the things in the rigth way and Argentina sholud be the infractors ?

What I believe? - None of the 3 above! I think referees are doing a Great WC , with some mistakes, of course , they´re human , but in the case of Mr. Owens, after the red card to samoan player , the correct thing to do was to give yellow car to Sa player, instead of trying later to balance things whit the yellow card to J. Smith ( it doesn´t seem to me that it was an intentional knock on , but more of an out of timing reaction ).

Martin

Thank god you typed that final thing :). Was reading it and thought:'Oh no not another one.' But you clarified.

Hi guys, new in the forum, I have tried to join before the match against the Scots but I have just received the mail to register. I hope Argentina stays in the competition to discuss in this RWC a little more, wait a minute... that would be an hypothetical victory over the kiwis... ****... well as a supporter here some arguments of how argentina could beat the ABs (in my opinion):

1- Slow game.
2- Rain, to slow even more the game. Why not?
3- A decent night, I mean a perfect night, in the kicks.
4- Stay closer in the score all the game (start winning by 3/6 points)

P.d: "Argie" is not an aggressive term, look at my nick. Even more, there is a big flag that appears in test matches that says "Argie Bargy". I guess, is that kind of nicknames that supporters get proud with the time. For instance in Argentina, river fans used to call "Bosteros" (bosta = horse ****) to Boca Fans in a derogatory term as first and now we are proud of it; yeah I´m bostero and argie!
P.d.2: Excuse my english...

Latest posts