• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Pool A] Round 2 - Japan vs. Ireland (28/09/2019)

See, this is all wrong to me.

A referee should apply the laws of the game and that's that. Sure, common sense if you can but ignoring stuff for the sake of "free flowing" rugby or whatever is artificial and flawed. If players don't infringe the game will likely be free flowing anyway but legitimately.

Anyway, I didn't want to get drawn into this debate but felt I had to add reason to proceedings. Back to South Africa vs Namibia.

Spot on. I feel like referees are constantly under pressure to call the games in a way that leads to more "free flowing" rugby, but it makes a mockery of the rules. And in the long run it does the game more harm than good. The best way to create more free flowing rugby in the long run isn't to ignore the offside rule; if it were enforced strictly and consistently teams would adapt their play style so that they wouldn't be offside so often, which would be a much better result.

I'd happily go through some short term pains in an attempt to fix something that's been a consistent issue in the game for a long time now.

Japanese fully deserved their win.

Too many things that in themselves weren't fatal we got wrong, and they added up to a chastening loss.

This is an awful result for an ABs fan... Ireland way more likely to beat us than japan or Scotland. Need Samoa or Scotland to bowl japan now so Ireland still top the pool.

That result is a huge result for SA.

This is an awful result for an ABs fan... Ireland way more likely to beat us than japan or Scotland. Need Samoa or Scotland to bowl japan now so Ireland still top the pool.

We won't beat you. England, Wales and now Japan have shown we've fallen off a cliff from last year. The Schmidt train has run its course, for the first time as an Irish or Leinster fan I've lost faith in him. It sucks.

We won't beat you. England, Wales and now Japan have shown we've fallen off a cliff from last year. The Schmidt train has run its course, for the first time as an Irish or Leinster fan I've lost faith in him. It sucks.

But you looked so composed / structured against the Scots? That no risk style is kryptonite against the ABs who score the bulk of points off turnovers

What's worried me today (speaking from a Welsh perspective) is how NH sides can manage their fitness in the hot and humid conditions. Wales similarly started like a freight train and then fell off a cliff against Georgia. I'm hoping not but maybe the conditions could effect NH sides more than any of us thought.

All this does right now is blow the pool wide open. Samoa v Scotland will be very interesting tomorrow. I suspect bonus points will ultimately decide who finishes 1st and 2nd.

Big overreaction. Ireland with and without Sexton is night and day.

And Ireland will probably still top the pool.

Untitled.png

Forgive me being unable to do basic maths... how do Ireland top the pool from here?

If Ireland win their last two games comfortably they will finish on 16 points
Maximum Scotland can get is 15, even if they wallop Japan
Japan can get up to 19 but will be on 13-16 if they lose to Scotland, depending on bonus points.

It's all gonna come down to bonus points and how each team goes against Samoa will make a big difference, but Ireland will probably win any 'three way tie' situation.

If Ireland win their last two games comfortably they will finish on 16 points
Maximum Scotland can get is 15, even if they wallop Japan
Japan can get up to 19 but will be on 13-16 if they lose to Scotland, depending on bonus points.

So Ireland need either Scotland or Samoa to do a job and beat Japan to top the pool.

After that game, have Scotland got a chance?

But you looked so composed / structured against the Scots? That no risk style is kryptonite against the ABs who score the bulk of points off turnovers
The Scots were rubbish, like really bad, they normally are against us too.

Big overreaction. Ireland with and without Sexton is night and day.

And Ireland will probably still top the pool.
Sexton played two of those games. We've just lost to Japan and have to go back to last November for a result of any decent value, something has gone badly wrong in 2019, two wins against Scotland and one against France are the only results of any value and they were far from what can beat NZ. Its been a terrible season, we might not be embarrassed in a QF but we definitely won't beat NZ. SA maybe, I don't know how to rate them right now.

What's worried me today (speaking from a Welsh perspective) is how NH sides can manage their fitness in the hot and humid conditions. Wales similarly started like a freight train and then fell off a cliff against Georgia. I'm hoping not but maybe the conditions could effect NH sides more than any of us thought.

I'd be a touch scared with Wales playing the Wallabies so soon (even if heat and humidity are different things, you have to imagine that it would impact on Wales more). Scotland lucked out playing Japan last up. The heat/humidity should have less chance of being an issue in the next couple of weeks and likely a non-factor come the QFs.

I think topping the pool is Japan's to lose. Scotland's away record is terrible and Japan seem to be revelling at home. Scotland beating Japan in the last game would be a shock result IMO especially as the Jocks have a 4 day turnaround (yes it's only Russia but some of the first team will be playing) and will not be as suited to the conditions.

We'll see where they are at when they tackle Samoa on Monday. I have a feeling it'll be a defensive non masterclass from both sides with tries galore.

Last edited:
I'd be a touch scared with Wales playing the Wallabies so soon (even if heat and humidity are different things, you have to imagine that it would impact on Wales more). Scotland lucked out playing Japan last up. The heat/humidity should have less chance of being an issue in the next couple of weeks and likely a non-factor come the QFs.

Yeah, also... with Wales playing last Monday while the Ozzie's have put their feet up since last Saturday, you'd have to think it's gonna come into play at some point.

Don't want to derail this thread... so this will be my last post here on this matter, where Wales normally like to chase a lead, I think we would need to be the early leader and hold on tomorrow.

Back to this match though, an all time great World Cup match. I would genuinely fear playing Japan on their own Patch as they really are relentless and... there is still the distinct possibility that Ireland could still exceed all of their past World Cups. If anything focuses the mind, it's a day like today.

Last edited:
Lads let's not turn this into a ref bashing thread. I absolutely agree Gardner let the occasion get to him but it'll just be thrown back in our faces, no one's going to side with Ireland in this debate.

Prime example as I post, this just straight up isn't a response to Corny's point.
Well as someone who didn't see the game...I'm prepared to side with you :)
I do think refs can have an inordinate influence on the result of a match and the whole adapting to a ref thing is ******** if he's reffing both sides differently....but as I said, I didn't see the match. I'm right though right?!

Great game, loving the league esq gameplan of the Japanese. A bit more time in the basics and they could easily be a tier 1 nation.

Not sure if Ireland was suffering from the missing players or just not used to playing against high tempo plans.

This pool just got very interesting.

I wonder if Japan is ready to join the championship?

It's also kryptonite to an enjoyable game of rugby.

Brillo for Japan.

Latest posts