• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Pool B] Round 3 - New Zealand vs. Namibia (06/10/2019)

Retalick goes without one as well, Savea is notorious for not using a mouthguard. They both have bad teeth I can imagine if you have bad teeth it would be hard to get them to fit properly and be difficult to use but man I personally would never go without one. When I was playing i never went without one and if I lost it or forgot to take one to a game I simply wouldn't play. Imagine going into the contacts they do with no gob shield?
I also noticed Perenara going without one in this game as well. Halfbacks spend most of their time barking orders and a guard would get in the way but still. Its not hard to trim one down and get one that doesn't hinder speech so much.

In terms of his involvement with the ball on attack He went relatively anonymous during his transition from follower to leader in the midfield , but I still think he was excellent for the little things he does. Like no one else in the world he consistently puts in big plays to turn half opportunities into tries and he's been doing this forever. Things like if his team has made a break and gets tackled he will clean the ruck or play halfback. Or simply if he sees an overlap needing quick ball he will clean the ruck, and he is very good at it. Actually there were two tries against Namibia that wouldn't have been scored if it weren't for his cleanout. He will up the risk in terms of his offloads when the reward is high and the cost is low, ie when a successful offload would create a big opportunity that wouldn't be there with any other play. There are other subtleties that are hard to articulate.

Yeah swinging isn't dangerous unless it's stiff.

the the elbow has to be bending at the same time? to what degree? will a fraction of a degree count or does the elbow have to travel through say 30° to count as not being stiff and how is that measured....you can see where i'm going. What we do on here seems to be World Rugby's approach to rules too...someone asks a questions and so they stick a new rule/interpretation onto the old rule...and then they do it again...and again rather than reviewing the first rule....and thats the good option

...currently the move is just to card people in the hopes of just stopping these things happening so they dont really have to deal with it...."scrums being over powered...i dont know what happens in scrums...just cards them hope it stops"

no real excuse for not wearing a mouthguard, they manage to get prescription googles made, surely of all the different mouthguards in the world they could find one that works, i thought they were compulsory

In terms of his involvement with the ball on attack He went relatively anonymous during his transition from follower to leader in the midfield , but I still think he was excellent for the little things he does. Like no one else in the world he consistently puts in big plays to turn half opportunities into tries and he's been doing this forever. Things like if his team has made a break and gets tackled he will clean the ruck or play halfback. Or simply if he sees an overlap needing quick ball he will clean the ruck, and he is very good at it. Actually there were two tries against Namibia that wouldn't have been scored if it weren't for his cleanout. He will up the risk in terms of his offloads when the reward is high and the cost is low, ie when a successful offload would create a big opportunity that wouldn't be there with any other play. There are other subtleties that are hard to articulate.

Yeah swinging isn't dangerous unless it's stiff.

the the elbow has to be bending at the same time? to what degree? will a fraction of a degree count or does the elbow have to travel through say 30° to count as not being stiff and how is that measured....you can see where i'm going. What we do on here seems to be World Rugby's approach to rules too...someone asks a questions and so they stick a new rule/interpretation onto the old rule...and then they do it again...and again rather than reviewing the first rule....and thats the good option

...currently the move is just to card people in the hopes of just stopping these things happening so they dont really have to deal with it...."scrums being over powered...i dont know what happens in scrums...just cards them hope it stops"

Retalick goes without one as well, Savea is notorious for not using a mouthguard. They both have bad teeth I can imagine if you have bad teeth it would be hard to get them to fit properly and be difficult to use but man I personally would never go without one. When I was playing i never went without one and if I lost it or forgot to take one to a game I simply wouldn't play. Imagine going into the contacts they do with no gob shield?
I also noticed Perenara going without one in this game as well. Halfbacks spend most of their time barking orders and a guard would get in the way but still. Its not hard to trim one down and get one that doesn't hinder speech so much.
I've recklessly gone without one once or twice having forgotten them. Horribly affects my performance and it's not worth any injury. Keep two in different parts of my kit bag now.

So what are the repercussions for both and any other NZ players caught not wearing them? Will the NZRU just fine them?
im not sure . this has been brought up before and players were told they absolutely have to wear them, but then you see ardie, laumape and perenara not wearing them during play. i guess they just have to have one on them and whether they wear it or not is up to them.
i reckon NZRFU has to come down hard on them and set an example.
my age grade u12's have no choice but to wear theirs. no mouthGuard no play or training

Totally. It's just about force to me. I think you can judge the impact. If you make your arm limp then it will absorb the impact rather than the head absorbing the impact.

Totally. It's just about force to me. I think you can judge the impact. If you make your arm limp then it will absorb the impact rather than the head absorbing the impact.
agreed on paper...but i think that's too hard to actually judge in the field, too subjective

interesting... I thought that last try Perenara may have been out at the same time he grounded but Stuff has a pic of the touchdown and his foot looks like it's still in. Amazing try.

interesting... I thought that last try Perenara may have been out at the same time he grounded but Stuff has a pic of the touchdown and his foot looks like it's still in. Amazing try.

i was watching on a brit TV channel ( 'cos the coverage here in Oz is crappy). The Brit commentator said something like "memo to those running the best try competition. Close it!"

reiko has been a bit of a disappointment.
i cant see him getting into the 1st string team

Latest posts