• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Pool C] Round 4 - England vs. France (12/10/2019) *MATCH CANCELLED DUE TO BAD WEATHER*

I'm pretty ****** off tbh. Obviously undertaking a massive transport project with thousands of fans in the middle of a hurricane would be insane. And you can't really compare a game to protecting people's lives.

But there's no reason they couldn't have moved the teams to Oita or Kobe today and then played behind closed doors. From a players and staff point of view wouldn't you just rather be out of Tokyo anyway?

Reckon they cancelled instead to save money.

Typhoons season's is a yearly phenomenon in september october. Strange that it hasen't been taken into account or anticipated when they fixed matchs's dates. At least a fallback solution for risky matchs.
Sad for thoes who have done the long travel to Japan.

I'm pretty ****** off tbh. Obviously undertaking a massive transport project with thousands of fans in the middle of a hurricane would be insane. And you can't really compare a game to protecting people's lives.

But there's no reason they couldn't have moved the teams to Oita or Kobe today and then played behind closed doors. From a players and staff point of view wouldn't you just rather be out of Tokyo anyway?

Reckon they cancelled instead to save money.

Just for the integrity of the competition you'd have thought they'd have found a way to play it somewhere, somehow. Even a small stadium with little or no crowd would be better than this.The odds are that we'd have beaten Fra and so the knock out line up and fixtures aren't affected, but that was in no way guaranteed, particularly as there was uncertainty around the strength of team each was planning to put out. Unsatisfactory.

Does it tarnish the winners? Ita v NZ has gone too, so 2 of the favourites and Fra have an extra week off. If any of those win then there's a little bit of an asterisk against them. Squad depth and resilience is all part of it and they won't have been tested in quite the same way as the others. Their QF opponents probably have particular grounds for irritation, no one with an extra game in their legs will fancy taking on a well rested NZ or Eng.

Does it tarnish the tournament? Well yes. This wasn't a freakish one of those things, but a known risk. They rolled the dice that it wouldn't happen and lost. With NZ v Ita also gone so that's 2 out of 48 matches lost with the possibility of more on Sunday. At a push you can argue that a draw might be an OK assumption for Eng v Fra, but on no planet can you argue that for Ita v NZ although that ultimately doesn't affect anything.

And what would happen if something like this strikes during the knock out phase? You can't have 0-0 there.

According to the BBC England are flying themselves to Miyazaki for the weekend.

But playing elsewhere is impossible?

It was a no brainer to cancel it. Yeah shame they didn't move it to play behind closed doors.

For fans out there who are missing the games. I'd recommend hopping on a Shinkansen and going as far away from the Typhoon as possible and enjoy the rest of Japan has to offer.

Every eventuality should have been considered pre tournament, cancelling games in a world cup's just plain embarrassing for the sport IMO, don't care how EJ spins it, if there was something at stake he'd soon change his mind.

Ruined the competition... how hard can it be to make these games happen? They don't have to have spectators.
For world rugby it's just a show, it's pretty clear now. How can you trust them regarding anything now?

According to the BBC England are flying themselves to Miyazaki for the weekend.

But playing elsewhere is impossible?

That's it, play it elsewhere and behind closed doors. The logistics for all the travelling fans won't be impacted then either. Seems odd. We get an extra week, but I'd suggest we need game time for players like Mako and Nowell.

In hindsight, thank heavens France defeated Argentina. If it had been the other way around then this would have eliminated France and been grossly unfair. As it is... its a storm in a teacup.

Kind of sucks for those who've travelled out there. For me a miss a bacon butty and the game in my local club which will have to be postponed for another week..... Feel a bit for Italy really the chances of beating the All Blacks were slim but I'm sure you'd rather have a crack than be sent home on a technicality.....

For England 2 weeks to develop a game plan to beat the Aussies and rest up I dont see many negatives tbh....

My main concern for England is that we havnt been tested by a strong opponent, france with there offloading and sometimes unstructured attsck would have been a test to get us match sharp but we havnt had that, yes we likly would have won, 2 weeks off and no real test i hope that doesnt have a negative effect on the players being undercooked for the QF.

Disappointing but I'm in Singapore this weekend so I don't actually miss a match so its win/win for me.

It doesn't have a grand effect on the tournament so doesn't lessen it. Group B may have more bearing but only if Scotland V Japan is cancelled.

Be interesting to see what travel insurance companies have to say.

My main concern for England is that we havnt been tested by a strong opponent, france with there offloading and sometimes unstructured attsck would have been a test to get us match sharp but we havnt had that, yes we likly would have won, 2 weeks off and no real test i hope that doesnt have a negative effect on the players being undercooked for the QF.
This is my concern as well. On the upside it gives two weeks for our chaps to get in the best possible condition. England are used to having this sort of break in a comp as this happens in the 6N every year so shouldnt faze them.

It is bloody lucky that this decision ultimately doesn't effect our group. I think it's was odds on we were going to go top and France 2nd so that something. I can't believe that WR were even considering cancelling the Scotts game as that would have knocked them out!! That just could not be allowed in a WC. Thankfully for them it would seem that they have had the game moved.

Mentioned above that of England do go on to win, then it would be tainted by a two week rest. Not sure that true. Momentum can be just as powerful as rest, sometimes more so. And England will now hit the knockouts very undercooked with a need to massively up their game, and if they manage to do that enough two win three massive games in a row then I think it would be pretty unfair to suggest that they had an advantage of any kind.

NZ are the team that will benefit from a cancellation of their game as they are on top form and now will get extra rest.

This is my concern as well. On the upside it gives two weeks for our chaps to get in the best possible condition. England are used to having this sort of break in a comp as this happens in the 6N every year so shouldnt faze them.

It is bloody lucky that this decision ultimately doesn't effect our group. I think it's was odds on we were going to go top and France 2nd so that something. I can't believe that WR were even considering cancelling the Scotts game as that would have knocked them out!! That just could not be allowed in a WC. Thankfully for them it would seem that they have had the game moved.

Mentioned above that of England do go on to win, then it would be tainted by a two week rest. Not sure that true. Momentum can be just as powerful as rest, sometimes more so. And England will now hit the knockouts very undercooked with a need to massively up their game, and if they manage to do that enough two win three massive games in a row then I think it would be pretty unfair to suggest that they had an advantage of any kind.

NZ are the team that will benefit from a cancellation of their game as they are on top form and now will get extra rest.
Also France vs Wales. France have a 2 week break fresh players and no injuries vs Wales who have just been battered(physically not scoreline) by Fiji and have quite a few knocks.

Bit of a shame, but at least the only risk of injury is an Eddie Jones training session!

Latest posts