• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Pool D] Round 2 - Australia vs. Wales (29/09/2019)

You may be needing a coach pretty soon.

Most fans up north think Townsend should be given time. I'd stick with him for the post Gatland/Schmidt 6N to see if he can bridge the gap unless tomorrow and the Japan game turn out to be a horror show.
There are rumours that Dave Rennie might replace Cheika. Scott Johnson is now Aus's DoR and was instrumental in bringing Rennie to Glasgow.

wow benSkeen sux as a TMO. he's been really bad in superRugby in this role. its funny because he's an all right on field ref, but give him a seat and the TMO duties and he gets involved way too often.
still WBs had all the opportunities to win this game, as well Wales tried hard to throw it.

Most fans up north think Townsend should be given time. I'd stick with him for the post Gatland/Schmidt 6N to see if he can bridge the gap unless tomorrow and the Japan game turn out to be a horror show.
There are rumours that Dave Rennie might replace Cheika. Scott Johnson is now Aus's DoR and was instrumental in bringing Rennie to Glasgow.

I've heard he's lost the dressing room but probably just rumours to stir the pot.

Personally, I'd be inclined to keep him for at least the one more year like you've suggested.

Last edited:
You got to wonder why Cheika didn't choose To'omua at 10 from the beginning rather than Foley. To'omua made such a big difference in the second half.

wow, watched the game in my sons this morning, had diner now, what's to say, well the first half can't really complain the second half however, why did we kick back to the aussies so much why not keep the ball and let them come at us to win it. I don't know seems a tactic as the same was done against Georgia if it is a tactic I don't understand why. some nervous moments, but a good win.
Shouldn't you be arrested for this????
haha,
You got to wonder why Cheika didn't choose To'omua at 10 from the beginning rather than Foley. To'omua made such a big difference in the second half.
well someone coming off the bench taking on a team that's blowing hard is going to make a difference, seen it so many times, but give him a go against England and see how he goes.

That Gareth Davies intercept was a monstrous mistake from Aus. It resembled a training move. And that it happened just before halftime, didn't help either.

I think its because To'ouma generally is a bit mince! I agree he had a positive impact in the game today, but on average his decision making is limited from what I'd seen of him in Super Rugby. Foley has been a decent performer barring his kicking from the tee, but he does seem to be tailing off a bit in the past year or two.

I'd say Genia was more the problem than Foley. He telegraphed too many passes and threw numerous passes behind his own players killing any momentum.

I'd say Genia was more the problem than Foley. He telegraphed too many passes and threw numerous passes behind his own players killing any momentum.
Where as he made a massive difference off the bench against Fiji. No wonder anything Cheika says starts with "You just don't know...".

Last edited:
I think its because To'ouma generally is a bit mince! I agree he had a positive impact in the game today, but on average his decision making is limited from what I'd seen of him in Super Rugby. Foley has been a decent performer barring his kicking from the tee, but he does seem to be tailing off a bit in the past year or two.

I'd agree. At Leicester he always seemed better away from FH or coming on as a sub.

I'd agree. At Leicester he always seemed better away from FH or coming on as a sub.

Always tend to get players like that. Especially the more 'creative' ones. They take longer to read a game, but can exploit situations better when they have.

They are especially effective vs tiring teams, with the ability to spot where the gaps are from the touchline, rather than on the pitch with tacklers in their face.

Normally Wales seem to have the opposite with Anscombe and Biggar. Anscombe seems very good at exploiting space initially, and Biggar can see what needs to be done, and tidy's up afterwards.

However, it worked the other way today with the more expansive Patchell being able to read the game first before coming on (although he can be excused a bit for not expecting the onslaught in the second half, and looking a bit bambi in headlights at times).

I get the feeling that if Biggar had stayed on, then Australia wouldn't have had as much success in the second half.

BIG BIG win that for Wales. I know the Aussies arent as good as they used to be. But Wales really did well to pull the game back in their favour when i was sure they were going to lose it. They will be getting more confident themselves now.

Robinson is still the fastest back in England's history
Over 40 or 50 yards probably not even in the top 10. May, Watson, a couple of Underwoods, Balshaw for starters would all be quicker. But his acceleration over the first 5 yards and ability to change direction were sensational.

lomu would still destroy anyone in this day and age
My take's that he'd still have been a big star, but not the total game changer he was. Defences are way more organised now and players all round are much bigger and stronger reducing his physical advantage.

Latest posts