• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Pool D] Round 4 -Wales vs. Fiji (09/10/2019)

There may be a ban coming his way I fear. .

I'd be surprised if he got a ban - it was reckless not malicious, and wasn't even really a reckless tip tackle - the guy flipped over his body due to momentum more than anything.

If it was him that collapsed the mail causing the penalty try then that's a real kick in the teeth for Fiji,

I'd be surprised if he got a ban - it was reckless not malicious, and wasn't even really a reckless tip tackle - the guy flipped over his body due to momentum more than anything.

If it was him that collapsed the mail causing the penalty try then that's a real kick in the teeth for Fiji,

Maybe, but I just don't understand what he was doing standing up like that. If he'd stayed crouch as he'd started and the Fijian player flipped over him then fine, but for whatever reason he stood up and made it a lot worse.

He was lucky the Fijian player landed on his back, prob saved him a red card, and as you say will prob save him from a ban. But could have been a lot worse.

If this was the ABs we'd be saying Wales would have learnt nothing by playing 10 man rugby so elected to go toe to toe with Fiji on Fiji's terms to get something useful out of the game. Yes, defensively it was far from ideal from a Welsh perspective, but objectively I think this can be considered the most complete Fiji XV side ever. Even these days a win in Paris is not to be sniffed at. Assuming Adams and JD2 can shake off their ****les this was a fine day at the office for Wales.

The Scarlets are the Fiji of the NH so I was delighted to see Wales keep the ball in play lots. Patchell again surprising me not one bit by coming on when Wales are trailing and guiding them to a comfortable enough victory. Parkes looking at full physical health after looking crocked for much of the past year. Patchell must start the QF and probably semi (if applicable) due to Biggars knock and Wales are my clear top 3 choice of favourites the more the Scarlets influence grows. They are going to score tries against top sides with this configuration and the rest will be up to Shaun Edwards.

It all goes up in smoke if JD2 is injured though.

Super entertaining game to watch as a neutral!
I thought that Fiji had really good chances to win after this crazy start but no.

Congrats to Wales for not panicking and winning the game without a scare at the end, very impressive.

I was quite shocked when they got pinged for offside, every welsh player, everyone, was running in front of the kicker! I had a hard time believing that no one in the team did this in other occasions.

Two things that are annoying me overall in most of the game and that I saw in this game:
- TMO reviewed forward pass. Do you know how hard it is to run fullspeed and actually throw the ball backward (without momentum)?
I feel like if you look at the ball from the ground, so many of the passes are actually forward.
But when it leads to a try then we care (though I saw some forward passes that where not reviewed by the TMO in other games)
I think it would be better if this was actually the interpretation of the ref and the assistants in real time. Because then the momentum is kind of taken into account. On top of that if there is not mark on the ground to help, how the hell are you gonna see if it's forward if the camera is at an angle with the actual pass (and it's almost always at an angle)??
- TMO interventions. I feel like it's a bit crazy to have this guy who is not even on the field having this huge impact on the game. I don't know how to solve this.

TBH The forward passes that weren't missed were spot on , no argument from both sides and quite clearly forward from the hands regardless of camera angle. The rules are quite clear and there is no gray area in this discipline, This isnt amercan football...

If this was the ABs we'd be saying Wales would have learnt nothing by playing 10 man rugby so elected to go toe to toe with Fiji on Fiji's terms to get something useful out of the game. Yes, defensively it was far from ideal from a Welsh perspective, but objectively I think this can be considered the most complete Fiji XV side ever. Even these days a win in Paris is not to be sniffed at. Assuming Adams and JD2 can shake off their ****les this was a fine day at the office for Wales.

The Scarlets are the Fiji of the NH so I was delighted to see Wales keep the ball in play lots. Patchell again surprising me not one bit by coming on when Wales are trailing and guiding them to a comfortable enough victory. Parkes looking at full physical health after looking crocked for much of the past year. Patchell must start the QF and probably semi (if applicable) due to Biggars knock and Wales are my clear top 3 choice of favourites the more the Scarlets influence grows. They are going to score tries against top sides with this configuration and the rest will be up to Shaun Edwards.

It all goes up in smoke if JD2 is injured though.

If Biggar is fit and passes protocols he starts that QF, patchell has shown in back to back matches that he does well as an impact replacement I see that as his role for this WC.

The amount of BS around the breakdown in this game is staggering.

Not as bad as the BS in this thread has been, I think I said this would be a nervy game for Wales and a final for fiji and thats exactly what it proved to be , but to still win by a try bp in the end shows a lot of character in this side especially after being under it for long periods of the match.

Without Davies at 13 and williams at 15 Wales would be waaaay worse. Thought both were very good and Davies is such a good defensive marshal. Radrada had an incredible WC and he is great to watch. Fiji have so much potential. Now we all wait for Eng France...
you may be waiting a long time for eng v fra....

Popped in to see if anyone else thought this too, very unlucky IMO. Biggar has some chin also, hope he's okay. Adams did so much right, on another day a lot would have gone his way.

For all the talk of Wales being negative and boring they've consistently provided the most entertaining matches throughout the tournament so far, some achievement.

Boring tactics not boring games.

But that's largely down to their opponents. Both Australia and Fiji are capable of amazing attacking play but generally suck at things like game management and defense.

As per the Judo flip, reckless verse malicious seems irrelevant. He tackled a player without the ball and caused his legs to go beyond the horizontal. Red if the player lands on neck/head, yellow if not. Perfectly applied rules.

Practically, though, you won't see a more dangerous tackle. No control of the player at all. Just threw him upside down at speed, off the ball. He's lucky he had so little control the player nearly went all the way around or he'd currently be looking at 6-8 weeks.

Final point: Jonathan Davies is an incredible player.

Last edited:
I think it's number of days mandated rest not necessarily you have to miss a game, i could be wrong though.

TBH The forward passes that weren't missed were spot on , no argument from both sides and quite clearly forward from the hands regardless of camera angle. The rules are quite clear and there is no gray area in this discipline, This isnt amercan football...

Is it? My claim is that if you TMO every pass you will find a loooot of forward passes.
For example, first try I'm looking at to prove my point, I find a forward pass (thanks to camera angle and marks on the field)Screenshot_20191010-092726_Firefox.jpg Screenshot_20191010-092750_Firefox.jpg

I'm on my phone so quality isn't best but you can look for yourself. https://youtu.be/jmLOo99Nxug at 0:58

Based on that I claim that there is a lot more chances that a try will be denied if you TMO it for forward passes (provided good camera angles and marks on the field to be certain) than if you don't. And I don't find this very fair. So it should be referee appreciation in real time. Just like when people knock the ball on.

I'm a bit confused what you are on about to be honest, yes when running at speed the ball can be passed back/level and travel forward. However that didn't happen in two of Fiji's disallowed tries. The Mata one, Volavola is running across the field sideways when he throws the pass so clearly forward. Then one pass threw by Radradra, he had been half tackled and had lost all momentum, again it come forward out the hands.

I'm a bit confused what you are on about to be honest, yes when running at speed the ball can be passed back/level and travel forward. However that didn't happen in two of Fiji's disallowed tries. The Mata one, Volavola is running across the field sideways when he throws the pass so clearly forward. Then one pass threw by Radradra, he had been half tackled and had lost all momentum, again it come forward out the hands.
My impression is that the TMO is just looking if the ball is travelling forward? In any case I feel like it's still better judged by the referee in real time.

Overall I think I'm just feeling that the TMO is used too much. I think we should go back and it should only be used for potential red card offense. There's too much stuff going on anyway and too much room for interpretation. Let the referee do his job best as he can.

Sorry for offtopic

On one of the reviews, you can hear the official discussing the players hands going forward during the pass, as opposed to the ball.

Latest posts