• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Quarter-Final 3] Wales vs. France (20/10/2019)

Why do french players get violent in playoff games? There was absolutely no need for that, and reminded me of Zidane's headbutt. Instead he let 14 other players down.

Sad to say, the better team didn't win this game.

Why do french players get violent in playoff games? There was absolutely no need for that, and reminded me of Zidane's headbutt. Instead he let 14 other players down.

As angry I am at foul play akin to the Vahaamahina elbow today... I love that Zidane head butt!

Personally I've always thought the better team is the one that scored the most points.
Silly me...

No, that's the team that won. Occasionally, the worst team wins, like France in the 2011 semi final. It's not a vendetta against Wales, they're just bloody awful.

You wait you'll find someone on here saying rugby's going soft and they should allow the crap.

I know you're being facetious, but I was surprised how unanimous it was on this thread during the match that it was a red. Had to point it out the time, because usually reds usually start a big argument on match threads. But to be fair not one that I recall tried to defend that one, not even newbie trolls, who just want to play devil's advocate and start a bun fight for shits and giggles.

The French rugby team have been known down the years for their lack of discipline. It's how England always had their number for quite a while in the early to mid 90s- I think we had a run of beating them 7/8 matches in a row before they finally got us in the 3rd place play off at the 1995 RWC. Moore and co would just wind up their forwards big time and watch the french lose their famous Gallic tempers.

Last edited:
Not that it was planned this way, but if Wales had played France off the park today and put on a decent score we would be going into next week with a different mindset closer to (but not exclusively of) favourites.
For some reason we seem to do slightly better when the underdog. If people start putting us a favourites for next week then we really would come unstuck. Maybe it might be for the best - for the Welsh team... not for neutral advocates of flair-rugby

Coaching this morning so missed this one. Watched it back now.

Clive Woodward.... in my view he's now more often wrong than right. But if there one certainty it's TCUP..... Thinking clearly under pressure.....

Sebastien Vahaamahina has pretty much killed the French effort there... what a ******* idiot...

But it's not just him. The media courted N'tamack left the points out there that win that game...

Just as a warning.. Sean Edwards.. If he gets on top of things and the FFR(unlikely) they are going to be a nightmare. That's a good team with idiot coaches... see Australia for details..

Wales fan.Thought we were bad today.Not much fun having butterflies for 80 minutes.just watching jap v sa now and impressed w Barnes verbosity rather than Peyper flapping his arms around and not talking.3 times Wales thought they had adv but didn't.And to stand in front of a near decapitation and not see it v poor
Missed red shirts having a kip on the ball lots as well.

Wales won on the day, well done. I still think France played the best they have for years. And yes red any day of the week. Dont think Wales played that well and it was a lucky win.

You wait you'll find someone on here saying rugby's going soft and they should allow the crap.
A lot of the red cards have been soft.

Today Moriarty was about as bad as Lavanini if you consider everything going into both tackles.

The ref today made a great call, the Lavanini call was a joke.

Yet you claim they were both good calls?

There was less mitigating factors in the Moriarty tackle, but the Lavanini tackle was probably a little more dangerous. (The ball carrier made the tackle more dangerous by running so low and leading with his head)

Moriarty was more of a grub imo, Lavanini was just in an unfortunate situation.

Why are you still going on about Lavinni? Just about everyone including WR and a fair few Argentinan fans thought it was a straight red. The book really should be closed on it.

A lot of the red cards have been soft.

Today Moriarty was about as bad as Lavanini if you consider everything going into both tackles.

The ref today made a great call, the Lavanini call was a joke.

Yet you claim they were both good calls?
There was less mitigating factors in the Moriarty tackle, but the Lavanini tackle was probably a little more dangerous.

Moriarty was more of a grub imo, Lavanini was just in an unfortunate situation.
The main reason for the directive on head high challenges is to protect players and imho there is no way the Moriarty challenge endangered the French player as much as the Lavanini challenge endangered Farrell. Again it is only my opinion but that is the difference.

The main reason for the directive on head high challenges is to protect players and imho there is no way the Moriarty challenge endangered the French player as much as the Lavanini challenge endangered Farrell. Again it is only my opinion but that is the difference.
The main differences is Moriarty actually made an attempt to tackle Lavinni was a straight up shoulder charge. The other is despite the slight dip Moriarty hit the chin just whereas Farrell got clouted straight to the head. Even then Moriarty could of seen red.

They are two very different hits so can't really be compared.

The main differences is Moriarty actually made an attempt to tackle Lavinni was a straight up shoulder charge. The other is despite the slight dip Moriarty hit the chin just whereas Farrell got clouted straight to the head. Even then Moriarty could of seen red.

Not saying they were similar, just attempting to point out to @james5000 (who was talking about both... in the two quotes I used funnily enough :p) why one is a definite red and the other one was a debatable red/yellow.

Not saying they were similar, just attempting to point out to @james5000 (who was talking about both... in the two quotes I used funnily enough :p) why one is a definite red and the other one was a debatable red/yellow.

Well that, and that the red card protocol is to adjudicate each incident on an individual basis. No point in comparing hits.

The bloke wrapped his arms, that isn't a shoulder charge. You are supposed to tackle with your shoulder and wrap your arms??? Who doesn't use their shoulder?

Lavanini dipped, he wasn't going high or aiming up. Farrell just went lower and his running style he put his head in danger. I don't think you can blame the defender when the runner is trying to take contact with his head lol. FFS protect yourself if you don't want a concussion.

This welsh chap aimed high, and stayed high. It was far more deliberate. The thing with the tackle was it was side on, which lessened the impact, so it was probably never going to be as dangerous

So there is 'talk' and that is in all probability all it is... but Twitter is a buzz (exactly) and it was even mentioned on tonight's scrum v (I love the show but double-exactly) that what with Navidi looking in all probability to be crocked (it was written all over his face) that Faletau's collar bone has now healed (certainly not match fit though obvs... even if it has).

Now obviously this is served with a fistful of salt as opposed to a pinch but the fact that I would trade my right nut for a fit Faletau right about now is causing me to see this as around a 1% chance (when in reality it is probably more like 0.00001%).

Latest posts