• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Quarter-Final 4] Japan vs. South Africa (20/10/2019)

Yes, Tokyo will be a lonely place for the Boks on Sunday, the whole world will be against them, but SA do actually play their best as underdogs.

They're definitely not underdogs here, Japan still certainly underdogs.

The one thing in difference between now and 4 years ago is, SA knows what is coming!

Got a feeling Japan will win this, their home support is insane.
See what you mean. But if you are going with that, They will NOT win the World cup. This may be as far as they go tbh. Faf will be all over them.

They're definitely not underdogs here, Japan still certainly underdogs.

The one thing in difference between now and 4 years ago is, SA knows what is coming!

Underdogs was maybe the wrong term, but the Boks have now been pushed into a corner with a must win in pretty partisan circumstances. They tend to deliver when this happens. I've seen it in the past against England and NZ.

SA do know what is coming, but then so do Japan. They played in the warm up a month ago.

I just feel this team under Rassie is different. It took us close to 8 years to rebuild after what was arguably the greatest team in our history. We had incredible players in Matfield/du Preez/J Fourie/Habana/Monty/Schalk/Juan Smith... The kind of players you don't replace overnight.

We went through farcical coaches with every tom dick and harry becoming a Springbok. it reached an all time low 3 years ago after 2 back to back 50 point losses against the AB's, and a whitewash EOY tour including a loss to Italy.

How many people on here think NZ would beat us by 50 points right now? Nobody. We went from having 'lost our aura' and being the easiest Tier 1 scalp there was to what we are today. Back to being the most physical side in rugby, and back to being feared because of it.

These players have been through a shower of **** to get to where we are now, and Rassie should get so much more praise for what he has done for this team. The Springboks of old imo are all but dead right now. We will find out on Sunday I guess, but I haven't been as confident in our team since 2009, and I think a lot of us feel the same way.

Can't wait for this game. More excited about this one than England/Australia. I have two very contrasting schools of thought about how the game will go. If Japan can minimise the errors and keep the tempo high then I think they'll get close and could nick it. However i think if the SA back row can perform to their potential and slow up Japan's ball then I think the Boks will win comfortably. I think SA will be very pragmatic and will take 3 points when they're on offer. If I'm honest I think the Springboks will win by more than 15 points. Just feel like they're more reliable under Rassie. They won't be overawed by the crowd.

Japan are very good and are on form with home advantage and the whole world (bar SA) behind them pretty much. But i dont think they are world beaters and they have nothing to prove although they will give their all and deserve the chance. I cant wait for this game. High tempo its a contest, slow game and SA power comes into play putting Japan out unfortunatly.

The Boks are the better team and should win, but if they are complacent they will lose.
The also need to be disciplined as any chance to penalise them will be taken.
They will be playing against 16 men.

I have Boks by 12

Last edited:
Fun stuff: Having a champagne brunch at my place with friends from 08H30 and our game is 12H15 - hope we make it..
Weather forecast is no rain a real feel temperature will be 35 degrees where I stay (close to Pretoria), so I see a lot of beers and stuff in the pool.

Facts (in my little world): Japan played the most important game of their careers past weekend and won by one score from a real disappointing Scottish team.
That is not world beating standards. Very few (even the top teams) have the ability to lift themselves to play almost above themselves two games in a row.
They are collectively good (well trained) but will not win like they did against the Irish, they know the tactical mastery of Rassie and will try something new, it will be a bridge to far.
They will be tiring and the collectives will wear down and the Boks will comfortably dominate the game.

Gut feeling: Boks by 20+

Not taking anything away from Japan, they deserve to be in the QF. After the warm-up against the Boks and 4 pool games where they played most of their starters, I don't see them winning this one. The boks have a monster pack and if they play to their strengths and wear down the Japs it's going to be a long day. Boks by 18+

I just checked what the sides were in this 41-7 drubbing by the Boks last month. They were both effectively first choice. There will be no complacency like 2015 and I think the English and Bok packs could easily defeat Japan with 9 man rugby.

If Joseph can overturn a 34 point home drubbing with the same players in one month, then I may have to review my athiesm.
I think we'll see a totally different game from both Brighton and the warm up game. In Brighton we weren't up for it and in the warm up I believe we took it a lot more serious than what japan actually did. This IMO is the first time both teams will be 100% focused. I'll back us though. Think the set piece and expected collision dominance on top of our rolling maul will put us beyond an one-off score loss in the closing stages.

I also don't know if Japan wins a lose game by default. Depending on our team selection we have a few players who might actually thrive if Japan were starting to toss it around and the execution isn't 100%. Certainly in a more open game it does become more of a 50/50 but still.

Wayne Barnes as ref. Don't think either side will have any gripes about that?
Fantastic. We thrive under a more technically correct ref. Barnes might not be the most technical in the world but compared to those refs we tend to moan about so often he is light years apart.

This will be our second game with Barnes at the helm in the WC. So I think our guys will have a good understanding how he'll operate.

I just want to see our team.

This will be our second game with Barnes at the helm in the WC. So I think our guys will have a good understanding how he'll operate.

I just want to see our team.

Same.

This is turning out to be a long week already and it's only Tuesday.

We've got the ability (shown in the friendly we played) and the strength in our pack to our-muscle the Japanese. The question is if we can match their speed and agility, which they seem to have in buckets...granted that was a poor showing by the Scots.

If selected (even on the bench), I hope that Willie and Faf show-up. This is no time to start playing kak. Let's hope we run with ball in hand and that we restrict their ball as much as possible. Use the box-kick responsibly.

Sticking my neck out here, Bokke by two tries. This is our best pack in years. We'll be largely unconvincing in the first 40, ring the changes and the impact players will come on to seal the deal.

Long week indeed. And we have to wait till Sunday last game for our turn!

I expect the selections to be very conservative. What I think we'll see:

Beast/Marx/Malherbe - Kitshoff/Mbonambi/Koch
Etzebeth/Mostert - Snyman
Du Toit/Kolisi/Vermeulen - Louw
De Klerk - Jantjies
Pollard - Jantjies
De Allende/Am
Mapimpi/Le Roux/Kolbe - Steyn

Well, I suppose thats the most conservative he could go in any event. I'd back that line up. I'd like to maybe see Nkosi, Reinach and Willemse in there somewhere but a RWC knock out coaches tend to back the caps and experience over possible better form.

If selected (even on the bench), I hope that Willie and Faf show-up. This is no time to start playing kak. Let's hope we run with ball in hand and that we restrict their ball as much as possible. Use the box-kick responsibly.

I think we will see a different Willie and Faf. The intensity is there and the concentration has been the highest order in preparation for the knock-outs. Plus it seems to me that some guys were given license to experiment, and Faf and Willie were certainly 2 guys that tried a lot of silly things, and a lot of it didn't work.

Long week indeed. And we have to wait till Sunday last game for our turn!

I expect the selections to be very conservative. What I think we'll see:

Beast/Marx/Malherbe - Kitshoff/Mbonambi/Koch
Etzebeth/Mostert - Snyman
Du Toit/Kolisi/Vermeulen - Louw
De Klerk - Jantjies
Pollard - Jantjies
De Allende/Am
Mapimpi/Le Roux/Kolbe - Steyn

Well, I suppose thats the most conservative he could go in any event. I'd back that line up. I'd like to maybe see Nkosi, Reinach and Willemse in there somewhere but a RWC knock out coaches tend to back the caps and experience over possible better form.

This is the team I think we all know that Rassie will pick going forward. Although, I think Nkosi has put his hand up to replace Mapimpi. But I wouldn't be surprized if Rassie goes for the 6/2 split on the bench again, and have and extra forward on the bench as cover.

The biggest difference between us and Scotland, is that our pack looks to dominate in every area, and not try and contain like the scots did. We will clear rucks, we will contend for the ball, we will try to win scrum penalties, we will maul and we will compete in the lineouts.

If Japan wants to have a chance against us, they will need to try and limit the amount of set pieces in the game.

I fear a bit for Japan at the breakdown with Barnes in charge - they love flooding/smashing the ruck, and he's not gonna let them get away with any shenanigans

I fear a bit for Japan at the breakdown with Barnes in charge - they love flooding/smashing the ruck, and he's not gonna let them get away with any shenanigans

They were also coming on from the side against Scotland with impunity. Its a wonder that Scottish #7 managed as many turn overs as he did. I expect the likes of Marx/Vermeulen/Louw/Mbonambi/De Allende/PSdT will be a menace at the japan rucks.

I think we will see a different Willie and Faf. The intensity is there and the concentration has been the highest order in preparation for the knock-outs. Plus it seems to me that some guys were given license to experiment, and Faf and Willie were certainly 2 guys that tried a lot of silly things, and a lot of it didn't work.

This is the team I think we all know that Rassie will pick going forward. Although, I think Nkosi has put his hand up to replace Mapimpi. But I wouldn't be surprized if Rassie goes for the 6/2 split on the bench again, and have and extra forward on the bench as cover.

The biggest difference between us and Scotland, is that our pack looks to dominate in every area, and not try and contain like the scots did. We will clear rucks, we will contend for the ball, we will try to win scrum penalties, we will maul and we will compete in the lineouts.

If Japan wants to have a chance against us, they will need to try and limit the amount of set pieces in the game.

6/2 split like with the warm is a distinct possibility if Rassie is thinking to double up on the expected (but not necessarily garuanteed) forward dominance and add De Jager into the mix. Its not as if Elton will be overly much missed. Steyn or Le Roux could slot into 10 if absolutely necessary. Probably not necessary to cotton wool Pollard in this particular game.

I'd be glad to see Nkosi but don't think his inclusion is as needed as it might've been had we drawn Ireland with their kicking game.

I just hope the team and management aren't as assured of a win here as I am. Might just come back and bite us.

Last edited:
I hope japan can stay in this for as long as possible to keep that atmosphere going

Latest posts