• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Semi-Final 2] Wales vs. South Africa (27/10/2019)

I'm going for Wales to knick this one as they seem to all be able to find away to win tight ones.
If SA get away Wales struggle to play catch up bar v France twice.
So first 30 mins may define this one Wales by -5

6 Nations Champs vs Rugby championship Champs and everyone reckons the WC is already in the bag for whoever wins between Eng and NZ. Heck Ireland won the WC a year before it even happened.

The chickens always get counted before the eggs hatch in Rugby that's for sure.

Interesting comments from Gatland saying that they will not call up a back row player but a back. I think it make sense to bring in Scott Williams, drop him in at 12, he hasn't particularly played well in an ospreys team that was getting pumped but there's not much other choice in Wales. Owen Lane's name was mentioned, but to throw him in during a world cup semi final would be a big ask.

Loosing Navidi is gonna be significant IMO.
Whilst we are sending him home could we also send back Hallam Amos and Aled Davies?

My team for Sun (depending on injuries\fitness):
1. Alun Wyn
2. Ken Owens
3. Tom Francis
4. Jake Ball
5. Captain Fantastic
6. Wainwright
7. Tips
8. Moriarty
9. Tomos Williams
10. Patchell
11. Adams
12. Owen Watkin
13. JD2
14. Pence
15. Sanjay

Subs: Rob Evans (whoops not even there :() - Carre then, Dee, D Lewis, Beard, Cubby, Cawdor, Parkes, North

For everyone picking 1/2p on the wing......he would get absolutely destroyed by the Bok wingers. If he played 14 he is up against a 10.7 second 100m sprinter. 1/2p now covers that distance in 3 days. Kolbe would dance him as well as he is too quick and elusive over 10m. Can we please get back to reality on that one. 1/2p WAS a great defensive 15. He is now just a defensive 15 in the same mould as mike brown but with more class and less gas.

For everyone picking 1/2p on the wing......he would get absolutely destroyed by the Bok wingers. If he played 14 he is up against a 10.7 second 100m sprinter. 1/2p now covers that distance in 3 days. Kolbe would dance him as well as he is too quick and elusive over 10m. Can we please get back to reality on that one. 1/2p WAS a great defensive 15. He is now just a defensive 15 in the same mould as mike brown but with more class and less gas.

Did you not see how slow North was yesterday? Lethargic as hell. Probably carrying a knock. If you have 2 slow wingers, at least put the better defender in, which is 1/2p

Did you not see how slow North was yesterday? Lethargic as hell. Probably carrying a knock. If you have 2 slow wingers, at least put the better defender in, which is 1/2p

He got gassed by the French 7 and then there was a kick over the top and it was looking like he was running in treacle back to get it, that was pretty early on as well. He hasn't looked 100% fit all tournament to be honest.

Wales are a bit of an enigma to me. Not sure what to expect here TBH but seeing as this is a RWC SF and Wales have got here I expect we'll have to be a bit more accurate in actually earning points rather than just in defense. 50/60% conversion rate at goal and in finishing off our try scoring opportunities is probably not going to cut it here like it did against Japan. Especially considering there will probably be less opportunities.

North is woefully off form I agree but putting a slower smaller player in his place that hasnt played there regularly for years against the quickest winger in the tournament is not the answer.

I think North took a knock early doors when he came looking for work and then disappeared back to the wing. Amos is the the more logical answer in the squad but his fumble will live long in the memory.

Amos is the the more logical answer in the squad but his fumble will live long in the memory.

Not just the fumble.. the other disallowed tries were his fault for bad positioning and over-running his line. He is woeful!

Judging from this thread half the Welsh team is either injured or out of form.

exc.gif

Not just the fumble.. the other disallowed tries were his fault for bad positioning and over-running his line. He is woeful!

He was being passed to by Parkes though. Cant blame him totally as every Parkes pass goes forward....

Bet WG wishes he had dropped Lane in a few more games now.

Judging from this thread half the Welsh team is either injured or out of form.
Welsh players don't know what it means to be in form or more importantly look like it. Just you wait for it though they'll drag you down to their level, win and you'll feel like you've been caught with your pants down with no idea how you lost or how you played so badly.

France wasn't a freak accident Wales have been winning games they've looked that bad in for years.

Welsh players don't know what it means to be in form or more importantly look like it. Just you wait for it though they'll drag you down to their level, win and you'll feel like you've been caught with your pants down with no idea how you lost or how you played so badly.

France wasn't a freak accident Wales have been winning games they've looked that bad in for years.

I recall in 2011 and 2015 we were probably the worse team on the day and won both of those games. Even when we beat NZ last year they were the better team, then when we lost in Pretoria we were the better team. Twice this year Wales did it against France. Fascinating contest between 2 teams who like giving their fans heart palpitations.

What is interesting to point out, is what Rassie said after the Japan game. He said that the 2 matches he was in charge against Wales were both outside the test window, the first one being the match in Washington, which was his very first game in charge, and he kept the core of his team in SA as the series against England started the week after.

Then in the EOYT he wasn't allowed to pick any of his overseas based players, such as Faf, plus it was the last game of the year. So in essence this will be the first game where he'll be able to pick a full strength team.

They are indeed becoming masters of the art. You watch them play, 90% of the time they don't appear to be doing anything, then you look at the scoreboard and they are leading by x points............

What is interesting to point out, is what Rassie said after the Japan game. He said that the 2 matches he was in charge against Wales were both outside the test window, the first one being the match in Washington, which was his very first game in charge, and he kept the core of his team in SA as the series against England started the week after.

Then in the EOYT he wasn't allowed to pick any of his overseas based players, such as Faf, plus it was the last game of the year. So in essence this will be the first game where he'll be able to pick a full strength team.

Only team Rassie has faced at the helm and hasn't beaten yet... I think deep down he really wants this one...

We got annihilated by AB's, and he avenged it for us. Avenged the Italy loss, avenged the Japan loss twice, beat England in a series to kill the Eddie Jones ghost, and won the RC. There seems to be only one or two ticks left, and this game is one of them.

It will be a tough day at the office for Wales that's for sure. We would be lucky to win 50% of our own lineouts against your man-mountains.

Only team Rassie has faced at the helm and hasn't beaten yet... I think deep down he really wants this one...

We got annihilated by AB's, and he avenged it for us. Avenged the Italy loss, avenged the Japan loss twice, beat England in a series to kill the Eddie Jones ghost, and won the RC. There seems to be only one or two ticks left, and this game is one of them.
I wouldn't have thought that it was that deep down.