• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][The Final] England vs. South Africa (02/11/2019)

I agree, I am not sure if this is the case in other nations but in SA we tend to change our players positions too much some successfull but I think most unsuccessfull.

PSTD ofcourse being a success but look at players that could have been great but got changed around.

Ruan Pienaar
Patrick Lambie
Frans Steyn
Danie Rossouw
Curwin Bosch - busy with him now XD

Just a few names they were all pretty good but I feel they never really a chance to settle.

Before you have this discussion, please go and look at 2015 when PSDT started to play at 7, and look at how out of his depth he was. His selection at 7 was one of the reasons why we lost to Japan back in 2015.

It took a lot of training and changes to get him where he is today, do you really want to take that gamble with Itoje who is doing a great job at lock?

Hence why I said not playing him more then (4 years ago Maro was 21) as opposed to playing him now.
It's too late for the move now IMO.
Especially with flankers being a issue at the time, we had lots of decent ones not many stand outs.

Just wondering out loud really he is a great lock so the point is prob mute.

Yeah leave Itoje. You should rather look at Lawes, that guy is not playing well against us. It's like he wants to singlehandedly concede penalties against SA.

I reckon Hatchiva Dayimani is the next big thing for us at 8. Duane was very much a replacement for Danie Rossouw, just better at the breakdown. Don't think we will find a battering ram quite the same again though. Also despite the haters I was a big fan of Spies. He had his moments, but when he was on, boy oh boy was he on.
What about the du Preez twins? I honestly think those boys can become legends when they leave daddy's side.

I am so happy right now. Hungover, but happy. Wait, not happy, elated.

What a performance. We did exactly the same thing we did against Japan and Wales. We didn't change a thing. We just improved.

Watched the game now 4 times already, and man it just gets better everytime I watch it.

Our Bulldozer scrums demolishing the English pack.
Our Lineouts disrupting and competing in every lineout.
Our forwards fighting for every inch at every ruck.
Our kicking game, as always, effective even when it frustrates the hell out of a lot of people.
Our goal kicker. Who in a final always kicks over at least 4 penalties. And Pollard just again showed his BMT. Missed the first kick, and came back to knock every single other penalty over like it was target practise.
Our backline ferocious in defence, cutting down any space available, and Kolbe nearly intercepting too!

My standout performers:
1. Duane Vermeulen. THOR!!! He was just immense in every facet. And yet again silenced Billy Vunipola.
2. Lukhanyo Am. Probably the guy I worried about the most, yet, he impressed me so much. Created both tries to seal the victory, and did a fantastic job in keeping Manu in check.
3. The pack. All of them were amazing.
4. Pollard. The silent killer.
5. Faf De Klerk. Hassled and Hustled like a true honey badger. Made Youngs look like an amateur.
6. Willie Le Roux. Cool calm and collected, like he was in the best form of his life. Nice time to come to the party Willie.

7. Prince Harry. Him having a beer with the guys after the game in the Boks locker room, even when Faf is just in his undies.

As for my England supproter-friends. I'm sorry that we are your bogey team when it comes to World Cup Finals. I'm sorry that we are the only team that gave Eddie Jones a gold medal. I'm sorry that Whenever the B&I Lions tour to SA happens, we are the World Champs. I'm sorry that you are going to be the punching bags for a while. I'm just so so sorry for you guys.

But hey, you get us back on a daily basis by shipping that sh***y Land Rovers to our shores and make them spill oil on our beutiful dirt roads...

Yesterday was awesome, and to have shared that match with 4 generations of my family at my house was just extra special. My dad even considered calling everyone from work and telling them we have Monday off... But then he hoped our President would call it a public holiday.

Today I had the best hungover ever. couldn't even be mad that I drank that much. But the celebrations was just awesome, people jumping into their swimming pools, dancing in the street, everybody hooting and cheering in their cars. Just Awesome!!

And then to top it all off, we win Team, Coach and Player of the year. And PSDT deserved that. I keep on picturing him as Gandalf saying "You Shall Not Pass"!

It's 22:40 here now, I think I'll watch the game one more time before I go to bed.
Feel genuinely happy for you! As an Englishman I'm gutted, but the days of elation makes sport, any sport, what it is and why it matters so much in our lives. Congratulations to SA for an outstanding performance. You deserve every credit.

When is Ugo Monye gonna be commenting on this final? I can't wait to see the egg on his face. Of all the comments I saw from ex players his was the absolute most biased. Saying 'no team can live with Englands physicality'.
What about the du Preez twins? I honestly think those boys can become legends when they leave daddy's side.

Yeah they are monsters! the other brother can stay out of it though lol.

Why is Stuart Barnes an insufferable know it all. He's writing in the Times his usual "I told you so...." about Youngs (like we didn't know it already) and that SA would win the World Cup; this from an ex player who never himself played in a World Cup final and Rob Andrew was preferred to. Does he realise how irritating he is?
That's unfortunate because he has been in the studio for the Australian broadcast throughout the RWC and has been really good. Fair, consistent, and definitely knows his rugby. I remember hating him during the 2009 Lions tour but was pleasantly surprised this time around.

However he is lying. He called England to win by a big margin on the night, pretty sure it was around 10 points.

The gloom is slowly lifting. Drinking 10 pints before 11am in South Wales pubs added to the misery!

Anyway, I am glad we were stuffed. We can't look back and analyse fine details and say, "but if that kick went over" or "that was never a penalty" etc. Beaten fair and square so well done to SA.

However he is lying. He called England to win by a big margin on the night, pretty sure it was around 10 points.

He also wrote that for the Boks to have any chance they should drop Kolisi. ROFL!

Here's a question did England make a mistake in not just trying to focus Itoje at 6? say if England and Sarries both focused on him playing their since after U20's?
Looking at PsdT and how well he is playing there.

and also should Kpoku maybe look at trying to be a flanker?
Totally on Itoje. A big trick missed in my book.

He's only just turned 25. If world cups are the be all and end all then it's not too late. Plus he's got 30+ caps so he wouldn't have to learn the international game.

Unlikely though and as you say there's now a real conveyor belt of flankers coming through, but Itoje could have been truly special at 6.

Haven't seen much of Kopoku, but if the stats are right that he's 6' 5" and virtually 20 stone he's unlikely to ever be a leaping salmon kind of a lock.

Left the house at 7am to meet teammates in a pub over an hour away. All this for a group most of whom will be supporting SA out of pure ABE spite...it's **** like this that makes England wins so sweet

Can't get too battered as I have a heavily pregnant wife at home but ... we'll see. Hopefully the little fella's born into a world where England are world champions.

I imagine nowhere's showing it?

It was on in quite a few places in Bridgend. I was surprised too.

Saw this on Facebook - genuinely thought it was from a "The Onion"-esque parody site.

HaHa. Yeah. Swys is genuinely a very intelligent rugby brain. He even picked up on Sinckler that wanted to barf before the game. Either he was really nervous, or he was sick. I didn't even notice.

I've said for a long time Maro should be playing at flank. Eng should have enough guys to cover lock. A big mobile loosie is something special.

Anyways, I'm happy to eat humble pie. I did not for one moment think that SA would be able to beat Eng, just based on the form they had in the play-offs.

Latest posts