• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023 SF2] England vs South Africa (21/10/2023)

You've just upset the whole of the Gloucester population that can read.
This should be used in classrooms everywhere to illustrate the concept of paradox

It's almost as powerful as the famous town barber who cut the hair of all men who do not cut their own. Which almost brought philosophy to it's very knees

Edit : Damm ncurd beat me to it - too slow!

Last edited:

Disgusting but sadly not surprising after the death threats towards Wayne Barnes/his wife/his children last year that required police intervention and the cancellation of his 100th test presentation, and the threats against Reinach last week

Social media was a mistake, takes the worst people gives them anonymity and gives them easy access to message people they should have no right being in contact with

Disgusting but sadly not surprising after the death threats towards Wayne Barnes/his wife/his children last year that required police intervention and the cancellation of his 100th test presentation, and the threats against Reinach last week

Social media was a mistake, takes the worst people gives them anonymity and gives them easy access to message people they should have no right being in contact with
yep...the novelty of reconnecting with people you lost touch with has long since been outweighed by misinformation and bullying

It's just ridiculous that people would even bother to do such a thing.

It's not really a surprise but depressing. This site can be a little microcosm that's a little more well mannered. You only have to see how SA ans have lept to any non corroborated stories as an explanation of what happened and vered to blaming Curry. Now put that though thr lens of fans that would get insta banned here.

I haven't seen much from England fans buy I hope it's like here just waiting for real facts and hoping it's a misunderstanding. The fact it hasn't been cleared up yet and the longer it goes on the more I worry it wasn't.

Sale have said Curry's family is getting threats now as well 🙃
Just disgusting. Many of these people don't even know or care about rugby, and have joined the bandwagon because of it being such a massive story here now. South Africans, mentally, are a pretty broken nation, and it's quite easy to see their anger and resentment levels are just compensation for a myriad of other issues we face daily.

In a country with our past, 120 murders a day, and 80 rapes a day, looting and corruption on an unfathomable scale, racism everywhere, and a million other things I wont bother with, but it really has turned our people into a bunch of sub humans. These people making threats must be hunted down and hit hard, but nothing will happen here because we have a failed police force, and a failed justice system.

Very sorry to Curry and his family.

Also sorry for Bongi. As much as the entire world hates anything South African, he is also a victim in this unless there is irrefutable evidence that he is guilty.

I haven't seen much from England fans buy I hope it's like here just waiting for real facts and hoping it's a misunderstanding. The fact it hasn't been cleared up yet and the longer it goes on the more I worry it wasn't.

We'll just have to wait and see.

One of the issues with today's world is a if it wasn't caught on camera it didn't happen mentality. Which is nonsense but can make things harder to prove and more likely to boil down to man's word against another.

Whatever the outcome this is likely to have an effect on the Boks. Whether its galvanising or a distraction remains to be seen.

The South Africans on here are a good bunch but I feel the general fanbase for South Africa is one of the most toxic and vile in world rugby. That has seeped into the teams management too imo. Yes we all have complaints about the ref but all of the underhanded tactics that SA have been using (putting out footage under a false name, lying about it, perpetuating a sense of victimhood, cynical injury stoppages and medic/water carrier antics in games) have all contributed.

Whatever the outcome of the racism claims, I do not think South Africa are going to come out of this looking good because of the actions of their fanbase. I know social media is a cesspit at the best of times but some of the things SA fans are saying are downright awful. Win or lose the final, I think we are going to see the worst of the fanbase.

Let's be honest here Rassie and his past conduct has not exactly helped matters when it comes to SA fans social media use/conduct.

Yes he was rightly punished but by then the ship had sailed.

Sale have said Curry's family is getting threats now as well 🙃
This is terrible and should really not be happening, especially since we literally had a Springbok player and his family receiving death threats after the win against the French a week ago, and Saffas were aware of it being unnacceptable/ calling it out. Hopefully something gets done in terms of sanctions to these individuals also.

I really do avoid twitter for most rugby reaction things though. Generally just a place where the worst of people live and engage behind a mask of a random username.

Its a shame for me SA were my second team. Having some 'lose' SA heritage just naturally slid that way. But the Erasmus thing and vitriolic defense of him and he had a point (he didn't) or even trying to exnorate him. Its soured me completely on the team.

Its a shame for me SA were my second team. Having some 'lose' SA heritage just naturally slid that way. But the Erasmus thing and vitriolic defense of him and he had a point (he didn't) or even trying to exnorate him. Its soured me completely on the team.
Better person than me. I have UK citizenship and passport, and half my family lives there. England are not even my 10th team lol. Though in football they are my team, which is funny enough similar to supporting the Springboks, drama wise. At least no one seems to hate Jacques Nienaber. Nice bloke that.

The thing is Rassie did have a point, the standard of reffing at times has been atrocious. The issue is he portrayed it as if SA exclusively were getting screwed over and almost as if it was a big conspiracy to stop them winning. Whenever SA won, you wouldn't hear a peep form him about the ref. That and how he created a false user name to release stuff to the public and "accidently" leaking a video he produced, it was all quite pathetic. That has contributed a lot to the siege mentality prevalent within the SA fanbase now though.

Again I feel bad saying it because the SA posters here are a fantastic bunch and don't want it to seem like an attack on them or all the SA fans who are perfectly reasonable.

Better person than me. I have UK citizenship and passport, and half my family lives there. England are not even my 10th team lol. Though in football they are my team, which is funny enough similar to supporting the Springboks, drama wise. At least no one seems to hate Jacques Nienaber. Nice bloke that.
My Grandmother is South African but the connection is pretty much broken when her family moved back to England. She still has the accent and there is some SA slang/Afrikaans words used very sporadically by the family.

I did look at SA passport/citizenship laws but they are extremely strict and unless I've lived there I can't claim it.

Its a second team thing there was just no reason to dislike SA rugby until recently so it stuck.

My Grandmother is South African but the connection is pretty much broken when her family moved back to England. She still has the accent and there is some SA slang/Afrikaans words used very sporadically by the family.

I did look at SA passport/citizenship laws but they are extremely strict and unless I've lived there I can't claim it.

Its a second team thing there was just no reason to dislike SA rugby until recently so it stuck.
I dunno, I mean even before all this we had many reasons to not be liked. Poisoning teams before finals, dirty thuggish type players and tactics. Kamp Staaldraad. Apartheid. The list is endless. The colored people in SA (Not black or white, but their own identity) mostly support the All Blacks, and hate the Springboks. Thats why we dont often play NZ in Cape Town.

The thing is Rassie did have a point, the standard of reffing at times has been atrocious. The issue is he portrayed it as if SA exclusively were getting screwed over and almost as if it was a big conspiracy to stop them winning.
The second part is why he didn't have a point if he wanted to raise standards of refereeing he can't focus on being the sole victim.

I think we also are too harsh on refs look at BOK I have no specific gripes about him in this game. I'm a little annoyed with end game but I don't think he had a bad overall games. But he has made some poor calls all tournament, the 22 mark in this, not checking Etzebeths "knock back" in the last or Kolbe's charge down. But I also accept refs as fallible.

Whats annoying is there appears to be quite a gap between Barnes and Pearce and everyone else. The fact that an the entire final is being refed by English officials (the first time one nation has officiated the match). Why aren't the other nations including SA stepping up? 33% of match referees this tournament are English (Carley had some stinkers).

Scotland, a Tier 1 nation had zero officials at the tournament.

Whats annoying is there appears to be quite a gap between Barnes and Pearce and everyone else. The fact that an the entire final is being refed by English officials (the first time one nation has officiated the match). Why aren't the other nations including SA stepping up? 33% of match referees this tournament are English (Carley had some stinkers).

Oh we've been absolutely terrible. We had a period of great referees, but now we just don't have many coming through the ranks. Not too clued up on what has been going wrong.

Latest posts