• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023 SF2] England vs South Africa (21/10/2023)

Really? But what's the point? Why would having one more forward on the bench help at all. We won't be able to outmuscle the Boks, even with fresh bodies on the pitch, so instead get players with a skill set that will actually help on the pitch ie ones that can kick and move fast (or faster).
Why bother changing any forwards then?

It wont happen he wants Smith starting or benching to add some attacking flair. We do kind of need that, we shouldn't need a 10 at 15 to help our attack but honestly we do as our attack isnt functioning. So we need to put Smith in, its a smart move in the situation.

Hopr it isnt a 6-2 at the expense of Lawrence, could be 6-2 with Ford left out....id feel bad for ford tbh.
If we need Smith so much start him at 10

Our attack functioned for like 10 minutes v Fiji.
Does having that extra 10 at 15 really help our attack?

We just don't have an attacking game plan full stop.

Smith getting flying headbutted didn't help tbh - I do think the attacking gameplan is "give it to Smith and he'll do something" at this point.

Smith gonna have flashbacks of Arendse lol. Enjoying the Rassie mindgames. Borthwick is arguably the most boring man in the world, I hope he has some goodies this week at least

I've covered this but:
1. Headers
2. Drop goals
3. Players out of position creating confusion in the minds of opposition
5. Getting as many 10s onto the field as possible
It's clearly genius!

God, I remember how bad our scrums were late on in that game
That's the game that really soured me on Stuart

Need to bring back Rodd into the front row, Nyakane is still having nightmares about him*

*and how he managed to cheat penalties/resets out of the scrums - still his finest moments, pure shithousery

Anyone remember the Jonah Lomu rugby for the PlayStation. There was a mode where you could have every player on your team be Jonah. If only we could that, but have 15 Earls on the field. We might stand a chance then 😂

Anyone remember the Jonah Lomu rugby for the PlayStation. There was a mode where you could have every player on your team be Jonah. If only we could that, but have 15 Earls on the field. We might stand a chance then 😂
Man and that other team that had Mathers! 🤣

Probably alone in this but I think we'll avoid a beasting. 15 point margin perhaps. Which might be the least useful outcome in some ways.

In order of preference:

1. We win. Somehow
2. We don't win but we see a vastly improved performance and good signs for the future
3. We lose in a statement way / ugly fashion which shows the need for bigger changes

Ah I used to play this with my dad. The only game he has ever played and enjoyed. To this day he sometimes quotes it to me: "That ones going to have snow on it when it comes down!"
Or just
"Greaaat tackle!" (Scottish accent)

With Lomu you could literally hand off the entire team and they'd just be there in a pile. Amazing.

A NZ v SA final could be an all time classic if it comes to fruition. Even if neither is your team.

I understand why people see it this way because it's the 2 countries that won 3 World Cups, which is the most by any team. But that can also be a reason to think it's a boring match-up.

I was honestly expecting Ireland-France with the way they've played and it would have been a great match-up for a final. Refreshing, neither team ever won it. It would have been great for the game.

Instead, we get (most likely) a match-up between two teams fighting over whoever wins their 4th.

Probably alone in this but I think we'll avoid a beasting. 15 point margin perhaps. Which might be the least useful outcome in some ways.

In order of preference:

1. We win. Somehow
2. We don't win but we see a vastly improved performance and good signs for the future
3. We lose in a statement way / ugly fashion which shows the need for bigger changes
Nah, you're not alone. It's a RWC semi. Whoever comes out on top it'll be close I'd imagine.

On a different note. It just struck me that if we somehow managed a ***le here, we'd have a 50% strike rate for RWC ***les. I have a lot of reservations about Rassie but if we manage, probably even if we fall short, you have to give credit for the turnaround he managed. His genius for me lies more in getting the best out of players more so than his in game tactics though he has proved to be astute there as well.

I understand why people see it this way because it's the 2 countries that won 3 World Cups, which is the most by any team. But that can also be a reason to think it's a boring match-up.

I was honestly expecting Ireland-France with the way they've played and it would have been a great match-up for a final. Refreshing, neither team ever won it. It would have been great for the game.

Instead, we get (most likely) a match-up between two teams fighting over whoever wins their 4th.
I have always thought of ABs v Boks as El Classico of Rugby. And We've yet to have a Real Madrid v Barcelona final in the Champions league. It would a be the one that most neutrals will want.

It's the most likely final at this stage. Would an England v Argentina final wet the appetite even more?

Ben O'Keeffe will be on SA bench ?

Actually I was thinking about this. Didn't he ref SA Vs Ireland totally differently, penalising the rucks and the breakdowns? I wonder if he'll change style and get super picky just to set up NZ Vs England in the Final?

It won't make up for my disappointment at what happened the past weekend, but it would give me a giggle.

I have always thought of ABs v Boks as El Classico of Rugby. And We've yet to have a Real Madrid v Barcelona final in the Champions league. It would a be the one that most neutrals will want.

It's the most likely final at this stage. Would an England v Argentina final wet the appetite even more?
No, no it wouldn't. The sad thing about these semis is that they feel like a pool match, with tier 1 v tier 2 nations. A foregone conclusion. The gap between NZ/SA and England/Argentina is simply too wide. We are merely speed bumps on their way to a final, which at least will keep us all guessing I'd imagine, but it's a shame.

Imagine Argentina winning the World Cup. They would be World Champions in two of the biggest sport codes.