8. Toby Faletau
9. Mike Phillips
10. Dan Biggar
11. George North
12. Jamie Roberts
13. Jonathan Davies
14. Eli Walker
15. Leigh Halfpenny

BENCH: Matthew Rees, Paul James, Craig Mitchell, James King, Josh Navidi, Lloyd Williams, James Hook, Lee Byrne

Warbs and Tipuric will swap round I feel with Warbs at 6. Paul James should get the nod over Geth (no I have not lost the faith in Geth). I also think they will play Cuthbert infront of Walker. If they didn't I would play Halfpenny on the wing with Byrne and fullback.

Warbs and Tipuric will swap round I feel with Warbs at 6. Paul James should get the nod over Geth (no I have not lost the faith in Geth). I also think they will play Cuthbert infront of Walker. If they didn't I would play Halfpenny on the wing with Byrne and fullback.

Pretty much what I would do. I don't think Ianto is fully fit though.
Could see King and Kohn with Shingler bench.

If the right Irish 15 were out and they played with a rush backline defense... Irish win by 10+ points.

As it is... probably a <5 point margin to either team.

Watching scrum V they reckon that Heaslip, Healy and Phillips would be the targets to win penalties off

EDIT: Murray not Phillips lol

It seems that we're all in the same boat which is good for me - doesn't make me feel completely useless in calling game outcomes.

Glad others think Warb's and Tip's together might work.

Walker's been in good form of late, and offers us something different to pure size and strength (not that he's small). Maybe too risky on bench due to only covering Wing.

Will be nice to hopefully see Biggar given a chance within a "settled" (using term loosly) welsh starting XV.

Nervous!!!!

I know the middle lineout jumper usually goes at 5 by convention and all, but please if you play Kohn, throw him in at 5 behind Adam Jones. It would be a waste not to.

Also, if you play Kohn and Evans/Charteris isn't available, Shingler is a must for the middle jumper, he's the only one left who is tall and mobile enough.

I would had O'Brien down as a safe bet why you say that?

In terms of giving away penalties, O'Brien certainly gives his fair share away. It's always going to happen in the position that he plays but none the less he still gives them away particularly in the tackle.

Watching scrum V they reckon that Heaslip, Healy and Murray would be the targets to win penalties off

Strange.

I would have targetted Ryan & SOBs tackling/ruck and Ross's carrying. (If O'Mahony is playing instead of Henry, that'd be another target)

Heaslip is one of the better tackle/ruckers, certainly as an 8 doing it... while Healy is a decent all rounder - unless they plan to absorb him into the line in the tackle, isolate and then get him for holding on as he will always try to make a few extra yards, sometimes too many.

Murray is prone to a moment of stupidity every now and then, so will likely give up a penalty or two regardless of being targetted or not.

Strange.

I would have targetted Ryan & SOBs tackling/ruck and Ross's carrying. (If O'Mahony is playing instead of Henry, that'd be another target)

Heaslip is one of the better tackle/ruckers, certainly as an 8 doing it... while Healy is a decent all rounder - unless they plan to absorb him into the line in the tackle, isolate and then get him for holding on as he will always try to make a few extra yards, sometimes too many.

Murray is prone to a moment of stupidity every now and then, so will likely give up a penalty or two regardless of being targetted or not.

The point about Murray was fair enough, as it would be about all scrum halves who kick like that, but the other two were rubbish, just things where they found one instance of something and tried to make a rule out of. And by doing this, they sometimes contradict themselves:

E.G " Heaslip is a danger man because he tends to carry the ball hard in a low body position, making him a human battering ram "
Then, "But because Heaslip tends to carry the ball in an upright body poistion into contact, he's suspectible to being turned over through the choke tackle..."

Anyway, Ireland team is up:

Ireland:
R Kearney;
C Gilroy,
B O'Driscoll,
G D'Arcy,
S Zebo;
J Sexton,
C Murray;
J Heaslip (cpt).
S O'Brien,
P O'Mahony,
D Ryan;
M McCarthy,
M Ross;
R Best
C Healy,

Replacements: S Cronin, D Kilcoyne, D Fitzpatrick, C Henry, D O'Callaghan, E Reddan, R O'Gara, K Earls.

Personally I think it's a disgrace that Henry hasn't been selected. Typical Munster favourtism to go for O'Mahony at 6 and keep O'Brien at 7.

Last edited:
I know the middle lineout jumper usually goes at 5 by convention and all, but please if you play Kohn, throw him in at 5 behind Adam Jones. It would be a waste not to.

Also, if you play Kohn and Evans/Charteris isn't available, Shingler is a must for the middle jumper, he's the only one left who is tall and mobile enough.

I'd like to see Kohn behind Adam as well. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a tactic they decide to use. Healy is a good scrummager these days, but I'm not sure he'd cope with that combination, and we could strangle the life out of Ireland there, especially with imo one of the best scrummaging hookers going in Habbard alongside him, and the excellent scrummaging Paul James the other side.

As for the lineout, I'm not sure what's best. I wouldn't say that Shingler is all that great in that department. King has been impressive there this season. If Evans does make it, he's a good lineout operator, and Warburton and Tipuric are both useful there. In fact, we usually get the best attacking ball with Tipuric jumping towards the tail.

Henry should be there, would have given our pack so much more balance. ROG on the bench is just a joke! I don't really see what Earls has done to warrant a place in the squad ahead of McFadden and Fitzgerald. Shame Marshall isn't there but that was always along shot. Having said that, it would have been nice if Kidney had selected a different bench option to the usual old guard.

Positive points are; Atleast Earls isn't starting! The back three looks very dangerous and it's good to see Gilroy and Zebo retained after good performances in the autumn. I'm a lot more comfortable with Fitzpatrick on the bench instead of Bent. I still think Court should be in the squad, he's been on fire in the last month.

My main problem with the squad.

S Zebo; Would rather Fitz but hes done nothing wrong in fairness. Two questions here however A: What Gilroy's kicking like? I know hes player FB for U20's at soem point but didn't really pay attention and B: is he Right or left footed? Having no right footed kicking option, at the back, could possible put us under pressure.

C Murray; Shouldn't be picked with Sexton his distribution isn't fast enough. This may limit our ability to use the ball and really let the backs run.

P O'Mahony, There is no way in hell POM should be in over Henry, hes been great for Ulster this year and a real 7 would be nice against Warbuton and Tips which is looking most likely. I know Henry has made mistakes in an Irish jersey ala Aus 2010(?) but we can't ignore the form players. Hes really stepped up for Ulster recently and should be rewarded.

Subs: Firstly Ronan shouldn't be in the squad I fail to see what exatly he offers the team ATM, he came on agisnt Arg and helped them get 2 trys. This call dosen't make sense to me at surly Kidney has more sense then picking ROG who has just been so underwhelming for Munster this season.

Also not sure I'd have earls on the bench feel hes slightly off form, however I know that he covers 10(according to Kidney)-15, also i'm probably a bit baias.

Anyway not too bad.

Yeah forgot to mention Fitzgerald I can see that Zebo has played well recently for Munster but overall I think Fitzgerald has the most talent, and that when he's back to his best he'll be certainty for an Irish 23, so leaving him out seems a big call. This said, it's understandable if Kidney wants him to work to get his spot back for a bit longer.

To me its just frustrating that with Henry's great form, Kidney has been offered up on a silver platter a way round the back-row dilmemna of basically having too many 6's and not enough 7's. Take the opportunity you terrible *******!

I'd like to see Kohn behind Adam as well. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a tactic they decide to use. Healy is a good scrummager these days, but I'm not sure he'd cope with that combination, and we could strangle the life out of Ireland there, especially with imo one of the best scrummaging hookers going in Habbard alongside him, and the excellent scrummaging Paul James the other side.

As for the lineout, I'm not sure what's best. I wouldn't say that Shingler is all that great in that department. King has been impressive there this season. If Evans does make it, he's a good lineout operator, and Warburton and Tipuric are both useful there. In fact, we usually get the best attacking ball with Tipuric jumping towards the tail.

If Wales can re-unite the Ospreys front 5 of last season together again I would be ecstatic.

That pack gave every single team they faced a hard time when together last season, all of the other Welsh regions were utterly annihilated by it, and the Irish provinces Munster and Leinster struggled as well.

The Ospreys have had a pretty good pack for the most part of 5 years now, but when all of James, Hibbard, Jones, Jones, Evans, Jones, Tipuric and Bearman were all fully fit (something which has been a rarity as normally at least two of them are injured) and firing towards the end of last season it was arguably some of the best I've seen it. Technically we've only lost James, but the Ospreys have normally only had about half that pack fully fit this season.

I've really missed Paul James at the Ospreys since he has left, much more than I expected. I thought Bevington would be able to get near his level in replacing him, but he's proved to be inconsistent and unreliable and to be honest Duncan Jones has proved his worth as a more solid consistent option than Bevington this season.

Just a shame Scott Johnson ruined the Heineken Cup campaign last season by messing about with the pack. Playing Ryan Jones and Jonathan Thomas at lock to accommodate Tom Smith as captain at 6 whilst leaving Ian Evans on the bench was an atrocious decision. Also playing Jon Thomas at 8 was awful as well, as he always mucked up at scrums going forward, Bearman knows how to control a ball at the back unlike JT.

Yeah forgot to mention Fitzgerald I can see that Zebo has played well recently for Munster but overall I think Fitzgerald has the most talent, and that when he's back to his best he'll be certainty for an Irish 23, so leaving him out seems a big call. This said, it's understandable if Kidney wants him to work to get his spot back for a bit longer.

To me its just frustrating that with Henry's great form, Kidney has been offered up on a silver platter a way round the back-row dilmemna of basically having too many 6's and not enough 7's. Take the opportunity you terrible *******!

I would love to see Fitgerald back in an Irish jersey but at the moment Zebo and Gilroy deserve the winger shirts. I have no doubt Fitzgerald will get his opportunity soon, even if it is against Italy or Scotland.

Henry would simply add a new dimension to Ireland's game. Defensively we'd be a lot more solid, and the breakdown would be secure. This Leinster have struggled with the breakdown but Ulster seem to produce quick ball at will, and Henry has been a major part of this.

I would love to see Fitgerald back in an Irish jersey but at the moment Zebo and Gilroy deserve the winger shirts. I have no doubt Fitzgerald will get his opportunity soon, even if it is against Italy or Scotland.

Henry would simply add a new dimension to Ireland's game. Defensively we'd be a lot more solid, and the breakdown would be secure. This Leinster have struggled with the breakdown but Ulster seem to produce quick ball at will, and Henry has been a major part of this.

Agree about Zebo and Gilroy, I more hoped (from a neutrals perspective) to see Fitzgerald there over Earls but... Kidney sees only red! :p

Re Henry what mistake are you referring to against Australia?

The other thing is, where possible I'm a fan of keeping half back partnerships together, I think Boss or Reddan would have been a more pragmatic selection for the first game in the tournament when the team is just getting used to each other.

From 1:50 to be fair he was at 8 and this is more of a one time thing but I was infuriated at the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Two questions here however A: What Gilroy's kicking like? I know hes player FB for U20's at soem point but didn't really pay attention and B: is he Right or left footed? Having no right footed kicking option, at the back, could possible put us under pressure.

He's played Gaelic football for 10+ years and is right footed.

Don't worry about his kicking game.

Latest posts