• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales v Ireland, 02/02/13

I suppose I can't complain too much about the team.

Obviously, Chris Henry should be there instead of POM and Reddan should be there instead of Murray.

On the bench, I'm a bit more ****** off that Radge is once again present. The man is a liability and has been for the past couple of years at international level - at provincial level he has descended into a liability just this season. Keith Earls gives you mediocre flexibility in the backs... but no more so than one of the more in-form players of the last few weeks, Luke Fitz.

I'm happy enough with that. Aside from POM and ROG in the 23 I have few enough complaints.

The Zebo hate on here is phenomenal. He's by far and away the best poacher in the island. He's also got a good kicking game and wasn't defensively caught out at all at full back during the 6 nations. He's the closest thing we have to a real Southern Hemisphere winger, that being one with super pace and a real eye for the try line. He's a danger for any side.

Despite that most people round here would have him dropped for Luke Fitzgerald who has played bugger all rugby since a serious injury and, despite his undoubted talent (he's one of my favourite players after all) has nowhere near the same scoring ability as Zebo.

The Zebo hate on here is phenomenal.

I had thought and still think, his place on the NZ tour instead of Gilroy was unjustified.

However, in general this season, he has come on leaps and bounds from last year, with a much more complete game, positioning and tackling are night and day better. So much so that I was not really complaining at his inclusion in the AI first 15.

Is Craig Gilroy better? The Ulster heart in me says yes, but my head says its that close it doesn't matter.

Decent team and about the best we could expect really. Henry not being in the side is a disgrace and I'm beginning to think that Declan Kidney is Keith Earls grandfather considering that he is Irelands 5th best wing and 9th best centre.

As for ROG he was always going to be there and considering Madigan wasn't in the training squad I'm not disappointed because I wouldn't trust Jackson on the bench.

I'm happy enough with that. Aside from POM and ROG in the 23 I have few enough complaints.

The Zebo hate on here is phenomenal. He's by far and away the best poacher in the island. He's also got a good kicking game and wasn't defensively caught out at all at full back during the 6 nations. He's the closest thing we have to a real Southern Hemisphere winger, that being one with super pace and a real eye for the try line. He's a danger for any side.

Despite that most people round here would have him dropped for Luke Fitzgerald who has played bugger all rugby since a serious injury and, despite his undoubted talent (he's one of my favourite players after all) has nowhere near the same scoring ability as Zebo.

I think Im the only one to have zebo in my fantasy six nations team! He's a finisher and tries= points !

280113_Olly_Kohn.JPG

Come on Olly, make us proud.
He must be the best rugby-related Oliver yet.

280113_Olly_Kohn.JPG

Come on Olly, make us proud.
He must be the best rugby-related Oliver yet.

Jeez. The love for Olly Kohn on here is immense, it's as if he's become the new Ed Fairhurst or something.

If people on here are to believed, then Kohn is the sole reason behind James Johnston all of a sudden looking like one of the best scrummagers in the Premiership, and Joe Marler going from a poor scrummager 18 months ago into an England shirt.

I haven't seen an awful lot of him, but is Kohn really some "unstoppable tank of a scrummager" who can make a team's scrum from lock, and make bad props look good? Or is this just because he is a TRF friend?

If he is so good in the tight, then how come not even England Saxons have ever come calling? I will wait to see how he does for Wales, but if his scrummaging ability is proven true, then Paul Doran-Jones may have made a very good career move I guess.

O'Brien isn't a 7. He should be playing 6. I know Henry isn't a complete 7 but he's the damn closest and best we've got - so go **** yourself kidney.

Just backing the red, mate.
I just hope that if he is given the chance, he will play the game of his life.

Can always rely on Kidney. Apart from Fitzpatrick for Bent every decision I wanted didn't happen. Still a good enough team to so whats necessary though.

Jeez. The love for Olly Kohn on here is immense, it's as if he's become the new Ed Fairhurst or something.

If people on here are to believed, then Kohn is the sole reason behind James Johnston all of a sudden looking like one of the best scrummagers in the Premiership, and Joe Marler going from a poor scrummager 18 months ago into an England shirt.

I haven't seen an awful lot of him, but is Kohn really some "unstoppable tank of a scrummager" who can make a team's scrum from lock, and make bad props look good? Or is this just because he is a TRF friend?

If he is so good in the tight, then how come not even England Saxons have ever come calling? I will wait to see how he does for Wales, but if his scrummaging ability is proven true, then Paul Doran-Jones may have made a very good career move I guess.

Bore off.

The hype of 'Ed' ... are you real?

Last edited:
http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3820_8451852,00.html

yeh. Only two matches at home and 3 away, but exactly the two they'd want at home this year. And this very thread's match will be absolutely key it seems for Ireland in the tournament.

That article really underrates Ireland's scrum but apart from that I'd agree with the article.

Irelands tournament really comes down to this match, a win and I think we'll get top 2 a loss and we're looking at bottom three.

O'Brien isn't a 7. He should be playing 6. I know Henry isn't a complete 7 but he's the damn closest and best we've got - so go **** yourself kidney.
Well, O'Brien's performances over the past year or so in the 7 shirt have probably been on a par to Henry's to be honest. He was excellent, and I really do mean excellent, in the lost series down in New Zealand - one of the very few bright lights of that tour. I do agree though that it'd be better to have him at 6 in this game, but when Ferris is fit again, or when Henderson breaks into the starting squad I'd probably prefer to have O'Brien at 7 than Henry.

Well, O'Brien's performances over the past year or so in the 7 shirt have probably been on a par to Henry's to be honest. He was excellent, and I really do mean excellent, in the lost series down in New Zealand - one of the very few bright lights of that tour. I do agree though that it'd be better to have him at 6 in this game, but when Ferris is fit again, or when Henderson breaks into the starting squad I'd probably prefer to have O'Brien at 7 than Henry.

He has no doubt been great, but currently I wouldn't have him at 7 considering Henry has been playing magnificent. I'd probably agree if Ferris was fit but he's not - and I don't think POM has really excelled recently. However I think Henry edges it defensively, but O'Brien is obviously a bigger attacking threat. Just a matter of how you want to play or who you're playing. In my opinion, we're going to be defending a lot against Wales.

If we win this game, I'll bet money on Ireland winning the tournament. If not, I reckon a 3rd place finish would be justified. Just a matter of how the other game span out. Scotland and Italy will be trickier than people may think.

Latest posts