• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 RBS Six Nations] Round 1: Italy vs. Wales (05/02/2017)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
6Nations.jpg

Italy.png
Versus%20Challenge.png
Wales.png

Venue: Stadio Olympico
Time: 15:00 GMT

Wales better bring their 'A' game because Italy at home in the opener could catch Wales napping.

we are notoriously slow starters and italy will be raring to go at home. im hoping for a big win but im betting we will win by 10 at most.

Judging by the last couple of games (64-17 in 2016, 20-61 in 2015), you'd think Wales would have this easily, even in Rome. But our patchy Autumn and Italy's potential rejuvenation under Conor O'Shea puts all of that out the window. Hoping we put a serious marker down, but have to admit I'm really worried about the game. I'd certainly expect us to have a very conservative first half, but then hopefully an increase in tempo from 50 minutes onwards. Hoping we get to see a few of our new caps on the bench, too.

I hate to be negative about Italy all the time, but I feel the loss to an experimental but promising Tonga was more representative of our level than beating a Springboks who simply looked like they didn't want to be there.

Will Padovani kick away less than 100% of his possession? Possibly.

Will Italy hold the gap to under 40 points? Yes, but purely because of the new bonus point rule meaning that there is no value in thrashing Italy.

Wales by 33.

Gotta agree with Bruce, I'm not completely convinced Italy have kicked on that much, despite the first ever win over South Africa - a massive achievement naturally, but it was a very poor SA side. The loss against Tonga the following week was not one Italy should be conceding so they'll have to have a much improved performance to have any hope of beating Wales. On the flip side, Conor O'Shea is a fantastic coach, so who knows what kind of impact he could have had now that he's had even more time with them.

Wales at their best can win this game comfortably, however its been so long since we've seen the best out of this Welsh team that I'm not willing to even guarantee a win. A lot will depend on squad selection for me, there's a lot of the usual names in that squad who simply haven't performed this season (or for 2 or 3 seasons in some cases), so will be interesting to see if Howley is brave to give some of the less experienced, but on form players a run out.

Here's the Italian squad that was announced today anyway:

Italy: Edoardo Padovani; Giulio Bisegni, Tommaso Benvenuti, Luke McLean, Giovanbattista Venditti, Carlo Canna, Edoardo Gori; Andrea Lovotti, Ornel Gega, Lorenzo Cittadini, Marco Fuser, George Biagi, Abraham Steyn, Maxime Mata Mbanda, Sergio Parisse (capt).

Replacements: Leonardo Ghiraldini, Sami Panico, Pietro Ceccarelli, Joshua Furno, Francesco Minto, Giorgio Bronzini, Tommaso Allan, Michele Campagnaro.

Fair few names that I have not actually heard of in there, but especially confused that Campagnaro is only on the bench? From what I've seen of Exeter this year, he's been quality and is fairly easily Italy's most exciting back imo, so missing a trick by relegating him to bench duty for me! Not complaining too much though :p

He's been very good when he's actually gotten game time for Chiefs, but I'd have thought him not being able to nail down a starting, or even bench shirt probably works against his chances of starting for Italy.

WalesOnline claiming the starting 15 will be:

Smith, Owens, Francis
AWJ, Ball,
Warburton, Moriarty, Tipuric

Webb, Biggar,
S. Williams, Davies,
L. Williams, Halfpenny, North

Usually when they leak the team they've had some inside knowledge and is correct, so I think that's what we'll see. As expected if true. Would like to see Howley be a little more bold with Young in the back row over Warbs, Sam Davies at 10, and someone other than the woefully out-of-form Davies in the centre, but it was never going to happen. Bench will be interesting, hopefully there's a couple of new caps there.

WalesOnline claiming the starting 15 will be:

Smith, Owens, Francis
AWJ, Ball,
Warburton, Moriarty, Tipuric

Webb, Biggar,
S. Williams, Davies,
L. Williams, Halfpenny, North

Usually when they leak the team they've had some inside knowledge and is correct, so I think that's what we'll see. As expected if true. Would like to see Howley be a little more bold with Young in the back row over Warbs, Sam Davies at 10, and someone other than the woefully out-of-form Davies in the centre, but it was never going to happen. Bench will be interesting, hopefully there's a couple of new caps there.

For what it's worth, this would be pretty much my starting pick too. Would just be tempted to give G Davies a start over Webb, seeing as the latter is not long back from injury. Hoping the likes of S Davies get a good run out too.

Would just be tempted to give G Davies a start over Webb, seeing as the latter is not long back from injury.
to be fair webb always comes back in good form. id choose webb over davies any day of the week. Davies tries to go himself way to much and doesnt succeeed as often as webb.

Would Liam Williams at 15 with 1/2p on the wing not be preferable? I think you lose a lot more out of William's game by dropping him to wing.

Wales announce team to face Italy

Wales: Leigh Halfpenny; George North, Jonathan Davies, Scott Williams, Liam Williams; Dan Biggar, Rhys Webb; Nicky Smith, Ken Owens, Samson Lee; Jake Ball, Alun Wyn Jones; Sam Warburton, Justin Tipuric, Ross Moriarty.

Subs: Scott Baldwin, Rob Evans, Tomas Francis, Cory Hill, James King, Gareth Davies, Sam Davies, Jamie Roberts.

all that talk of a refreshed squad, one player made the bench and probably will not be used. im pleased for nicky smith though as i do rate him more than evans (although evans is somewhat better at scrum time)

Very disappointing bench IMO, what a wasted opportunity. The only bright spot there is that at least Sam Davies should get a good run out. Would have much rather seen Thomas Young and Owen Williams ahead of James King and Jamie Roberts. If it isn't happening now then I don't see any of the new caps making an appearance unless it's injury-enforced. Gutted.

I totally agree with the above posts, we were teased with a new look Wales squad then get this? The more Howley is in charge the more he looks like he isn't cut for head coach to be honest. I'm starting to get worried about Wales, everyone is moving on, getting better, evolving. Yet Wales seem to refuse to use and try new and inform players.

Bold move leaving future lions 10 on the bench... or is Italy not a big enough stage for him

Unless of course the strategy is that Italy will be a walk-over for Wales so leave the young guns 'till the later games, thus inducing a mega-ton shock through the 6 Nations! Just a thought!

unless there are injuries i cannot see any of the uncapped players even getting a bench spot in the whole competition

Latest posts