• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 RBS Six Nations] Round 2: Wales vs England (11/02/2017)

Is that an... Insult...?

Brief flashes of brilliance fading to mediocre insignificance and a long descent into ignominious obscurity. That's my take on Croft anyway ;)

Yeah but the flashes of brilliance were so goddam brilliant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS-kKqvWqiM

If Croft were 10 years younger he'd be better handled and better coached now I think. Clifford has a lot of talent and he could go on to become a lot more consistent than Croft was if he keeps fit, though probably less egregious. And a consistent Croft would be a world class player.

Last edited:
England team to face Wales:-

England XV: M Brown (Harlequins); J Nowell (Exeter), J Joseph (Bath), O Farrell (Saracens), E Daly (Wasps); G Ford (Bath), B Youngs (Leicester); J Marler (Harlequins), D Hartley (Northampton, capt), D Cole (Leicester), J Launchbury (Wasps), C Lawes (Northampton), M Itoje (Saracens), J Clifford (Harlequins), N Hughes (Wasps).

Replacements: J George (Saracens), M Mullan (Wasps), K Sinckler (Harlequins), T Wood (Northampton), J Haskell (Wasps), D Care (Harlequins), B Te'o (Worcester), J May (Gloucester).

Wales: Leigh Halfpenny; George North, Jonathan Davies, Scott Williams, Liam Williams; Dan Biggar, Rhys Webb; Rob Evans, Ken Owens, Tomas Francis; Jake Ball, Alun Wyn Jones; Sam Warburton, Justin Tipuric, Ross Moriarty.

Reps: Scott Baldwin, Nicky Smith, Samson Lee, Cory Hill, Taulupe Faletau, Gareth Davies, Sam Davies, Jamie Roberts.

Was hoping that Biggar wouldn't be fit. He's not a bad player, but I think we'll really struggle to break down the English defence with him there. Could all be too late by the time Sam Davies enters the fray.

I hope I'm wrong, but we've looked completely sterile for the entirety of Biggar's reign at 10. Last time we looked like a dangerous side was when Priestland was at outside half, played flat and genuinely engaged the defence before distributing the ball. Why were the coaching team prepared to take a punt on Priestland in the run-up to a World Cup, yet have shown nothing but fear of trying new personnel since?

I'm not petrified of the English team, man for man we're easily a match, but I'm worried we'll still lose comfortably, because once again we'll play within ourselves for the majority of the game, just as we have for the last 4 years!

I didn't expect any surprises, just hope Sam gets enough game time to make a difference. Good to have Faletau back, really need a big shift from our back row or Biggar will not be able to play to his strengths.

Was hoping that Biggar wouldn't be fit. He's not a bad player, but I think we'll really struggle to break down the English defence with him there. Could all be too late by the time Sam Davies enters the fray.

I hope I'm wrong, but we've looked completely sterile for the entirety of Biggar's reign at 10. Last time we looked like a dangerous side was when Priestland was at outside half, played flat and genuinely engaged the defence before distributing the ball. Why were the coaching team prepared to take a punt on Priestland in the run-up to a World Cup, yet have shown nothing but fear of trying new personnel since?

I'm not petrified of the English team, man for man we're easily a match, but I'm worried we'll still lose comfortably, because once again we'll play within ourselves for the majority of the game, just as we have for the last 4 years!

Purely from my own point of view, it felt like Biggar nailed down the slot when filling in for 1/2p on kicking duty whilst he was out injured for the WC, and also doing a decent job at FH (plus his Gary Owen reclaim rate is pretty damn impressive.). Since then the coaches seem to have ignored everyone else. I guess the squad has been so reliant for so long on a forcing a steady stream of 3 pointers through relentless Edwards-directed defence and hard, direct running that they get unsettled when a metronomic kicker (or 2) isn't playing.

Dunno what Davies' kicking is like, mind.

Of course you're a match.

Neither team has an exceptional front row, though I'd say our benched fatties are better
I'm not much of a fan of Courtney Lawes or Jake Ball. I'd say without Itoje there are locks are equals.
Back-row: Yours is good, ours is better than it was and full of talent which may not all be in their best positions.

Half-backs: Here's the main difference; we have intent to play. Youngs' passing is worse than Webbs but he makes up for it by occasionally showing a bit more intuition and YOLOness (now a phrase, I declare) than I think Webb does, although the latter has his moments. The biggest difference is the intention to play we have through Ford and the extra distribution to fulfill that we get through Farrell.

In other positions, it most comes down to a question of form. In the Centres for insistence, if both JJ and Davies were fit it would be hard to choose and would usually come down to the question of how you want to play the game. The same goes for the back 3; it's abou form and how you intend to play. Brown is a more positive choice than Halfpenny attacking wise, but otherwise both teams have very talented back 3s.

Last edited:
Yeah but the flashes of brilliance were so goddam brilliant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS-kKqvWqiM

If Croft were 10 years younger he'd be better handled and better coached now I think. Clifford has a lot of talent and he could go on to become a lot more consistent than Croft was if he keeps fit, though probably less egregious. And a consistent Croft would be a world class player.

https://youtu.be/ZN-uy_OB2GA?t=3m16s

Always an embarrassment when a forward burns off backs.

i cant understand how picking 2 players who have hardly trained all week (as howley admitted) and are likely still carrying knocks, is better than selecting 2 alternative players who are fit and ready to go. im really not buying this "experience is key" crap anymore. you can have all the experience in the world but if you're not fit you cant perform to your potential.

Had to google YOLO.

Sorry about that, I basically wasted your time with that one. I guess what I mean is Youngs likes to take risks and give it a go which can either lead to a 7 pointer, or a lost penalty opportunity depending on the outcome. It pays off more often than not, I'd say, making up to an extent for his frequently terrible passing game. Webb can do that too, but is a little more cautious. The perfect partner for Dan Biggar!

Still not sure about Itojie on the flank. Why would you put an outstanding 2ND row prospect out of position?

Still not sure about Itojie on the flank. Why would you put an outstanding 2ND row prospect out of position?

I agree, although I know some people still see him as more of a 6 anyway. But yes, personally I would much rather drop Lawes to the bench, play Itoje and Launchbury, with a back-row of Clifford, Haskell and Hughes. It's one of those things I think where if we lose Jones will be very open to criticism, but if he keeps winning it's hard to say a word against him.

Looks like Eddie has said he wants the roof open ...... just seen it on England rugbys Facebook page

I'm not a fan of Itoje at flank but with Haskell unfit, and Wood the alternative then it's certainly the lesser of 2 evils. I do quite like the look of the back row. Clifford and hopefully a somewhat reinvigorated Itoje will take the pressure off of Hughes as he won't be the only carrier in the team anymore. I am worried about the breakdown though...

It's fair enough, the atmosphere is heightened massively by the roof. Makes it less familiar for the Welsh too.

I also fundamentally believe that rugby is an outdoor sport and if it rains you should play in the rain

Meh.

As a neutral I wouldn't mind the roof on, because it does add to the atmosphere IMO.

I'd much rather real grass inside, than fake grass outside.

Latest posts