• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 RBS Six Nations] Round 2: Wales vs England (11/02/2017)

The way he carries the ball into contact completely upright is so frustrating. He's obviously strong/powerful because you can see it on his defence, he just needs to carry it into contact better.

Eh... the weird thing is that his tackling technique is perfect - that's why he looks so powerful - because he's super efficient at using a massive range of motion to produce that power.

It's very difficult for a guy that long to do the same thing carrying the ball.

He's never going to be a dominant carrier, he's just not built for it. He's a skinny, rangy guy. The complete opposite of explosive guys like Thacker.

I'm fairly confident he sits around 110kg almost all the time, and I think it suits him - the issue he might have for England is that unless there are enough powerful carriers elsewhere in the pack, having a lock who is good at carrying in the loose is largely superfluous.
Having said that - if there are enough tight carriers, he's a very good carrier in the loose.

Last edited:
Technique perfect? Imagine how good he would be if he put big hits into players who still had the ball!

Despite your nationality I've given you some rep for that Mike.

In my book, any lock should be able to make ground with 3 defenders hanging off him. The frustration with Lawes isn't just that he isn't a dominant carrier, but how often he spills the ball or gets turned over (certain game at HQ a few years ago springs painfully to mind). Just seems odd when you think how good his ball skills can be out wide or in the line out.

Despite your nationality I've given you some rep for that Mike.

In my book, any lock should be able to make ground with 3 defenders hanging off him. The frustration with Lawes isn't just that he isn't a dominant carrier, but how often he spills the ball or gets turned over (certain game at HQ a few years ago springs painfully to mind). Just seems odd when you think how good his ball skills can be out wide or in the line out.

Although he produced a class hand off on Jamie Roberts last year ;)

I really hope Courtney Lawes can bulk up at some point and do something about his terrible carrying. Right now, Lawes trying to carry the ball against a defensive line is akin to throwing a rash of bacon at a front row forward and hoping it will make him fall over. I know he makes up for it in other areas but if he gets turned over because Wales get momentum counter-rucking, then its absolutely not worth it at all.

Lawes is pretty clear the size and shape he'll be for the rest of his career and to hope for different is futile. If he could put on extra useful muscle, he would have.

Lawes basically shouldn't be taking the carries he does. He's a prototypical 5 - light for his considerable height with big springy legs that propel him all over the place. You don't want someone like that carrying into the tight, there's too much of them to target and they can't get low enough and they lack the power of the other guy (as a rule). Either they should be blasting rucks or carrying out wide (Lawes does the latter very nicely). I actually reckon Lawes does very well in the tight for a player of this breed (not saying a huge amount mind).

Anyway, there'll be plenty of people to blame if he gets turned over counter-rucking, not just Lawes.

Lawes does his job well, very strong defensively and good in the lineout, it's just England's severe lack of carriers that have meant he's been in positions he really shouldn't be in.

I do wish Attwood was here, he brings grunt and is actually a very good loose carrier.
The news on North and Biggar is good for us, Cuthbert is just the player I want to see on the team sheet.

Anyone watching the kids?
BBC 2 Wales, on iPlayer, or relevant sky channel

I can't believe, well actually I can believe Howlers considering Cuthbert, if North is ruled out and it looks like he will be then the sensible decision would be to put 1/2 penny on the wing and play Sam D at FB, he has played 15 several times already this season.
Maybe Howlers trying to compete with EJ in the wind up stakes and already knows Sam D is playing 10 because Biggar hasn't recovered, if this is the case then I think most sane fans would prefer Stef Evans as wing cover

I can't believe, well actually I can believe Howlers considering Cuthbert, if North is ruled out and it looks like he will be then the sensible decision would be to put 1/2 penny on the wing and play Sam D at FB, he has played 15 several times already this season.
Maybe Howlers trying to compete with EJ in the wind up stakes and already knows Sam D is playing 10 because Biggar hasn't recovered, if this is the case then I think most sane fans would prefer Stef Evans as wing cover

How? How did you manage to turn a reply about Cuthbert into yet another Eddie Jones dig? You truly are extraordinary.

Yeh I'm struggling to understand how Howley can warrant picked Cuthbert over anyone ..... although I think picking Davies at FB would be a mistake when it means putting the two best Welsh full backs on either wing . Should just let Stef Evans play ..

Stop playing games Valley! We all know you hate Eddie for being Australian. Damn bigot!

Shut up what a stupid thing to say

- - - Updated - - -

Yeh I'm struggling to understand how Howley can warrant picked Cuthbert over anyone ..... although I think picking Davies at FB would be a mistake when it means putting the two best Welsh full backs on either wing . Should just let Stef Evans play ..

Yes I think you might be right, I do have a sneaky feeling Biggar may not be fit as well, in which case we've got a chance SD would get the ball moving a bit quicker than Biggar giving a bit more time to his backs (could even make Cuthbert look like an international winger again)

There's a thread for banter if you want to snipe at each other, keep to rugby here. Cheers.

Latest posts