• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2019 Six Nations] Wales vs England (23/02/2019)

Not read any of this yet...

Wales deserved it.

Englands kicking and game management was awful. Tactically we were so wrong.

Ireland would never have lost that game after leading at half time.

We might still win the championship.

2 main gripes

1) why the **** does Jones have people on the bench and then not use them!? The bench should be emptied not kept half full until the 70th minute

2) when will England learn to stop giving away so many completely brain dead and pointless penalties? Sinckler is becoming a penalty magnet. Aggression is good, idiocy isn't.

I'm really not on board with this narrative - he gave away two penalties. One for a no-arms tackle, the sort which is attempted multiple times per game. And another for what some people have described as a "choke hold", but what I would describe as holding someone up off the ground. Sinckler does generally have a bad temper - but it wasn't a problem in the slightest today.

'Why did England lose that test match?'

Well there's an obnoxious question.
Totally agree. She is an obnoxious interviewer. Always trying to cause conflict where there is none, with her questions. I think both captains did well to stay calm with her.

Also regarding Sinckler.

A journalist posed the question to Gats regarding Sincklers temper, but as usual the parts of the media that don't understand rugby (Sky) made a big deal of it. Was a great panto villain for the crowd.

He actually had a great game. I think he was due to come off anyway around the 60 minute mark. No prop keeps up that workrate for 80 (maybe jenkins at his peak).

Also, it looks like England have finally found their first openside since Neil Back. Curry was tremendous for 60 minutes, but seemed to just run out of steam and disappear as the second half wore on.

Last edited:
Well, Ireland could still win it from here, right? They could get up to 19. which is certainly in the running.

Yeah they can. I don't see them getting the bonus point against Wales. I can see England getting 3-4 bp, Ireland getting 2-3 and Wales getting 2. In that case England win. (Yes I'm clutching at straws.)

Cue the overreactions...

Genuinely though, I think we lost the kicking battle which our game plan relies heavily on and we were far less disciplined. Those two things combined really limit attacking opportunities.

Farrell wasn't at his best but I don't think he was awful. To me nobody stuck out as having a terrible game, even Sinckler put in 20 tackles in 50 minutes despite his discipline issues.

I'm surprised Eddie didn't go to the bench earlier. Youngs looked sluggish in the second half - why not give Robson time, Farrell could have used the extra help from Ford earlier, Genge could have made up for the extra ball carrier we were clearly missing without Mako!

Overall, Wales played exceptionally well, England made a few errors and we were missing players who clearly make a big difference to us being able to execute this game plan (Mako and to a lesser extent Maro). No need to panic, let's all have a cup of tea and tip our hats to the wool-botherers from over the bridge in the meantime!

I will never understand rubbing a win in opposition's faces by putting them down. It's a chance to enjoy how class your team is, if anything be obnoxious by loving yourself and team too much, The Alpha Bro way!

Like, saying how overhyped and **** England are is discrediting Wales!

2 main gripes

1) why the **** does Jones have people on the bench and then not use them!? The bench should be emptied not kept half full until the 70th minute

2) when will England learn to stop giving away so many completely brain dead and pointless penalties? Sinckler is becoming a penalty magnet. Aggression is good, idiocy isn't.
Not sure that all of the penalties he 'conceded' were actually penalties tbf. Think he had a really good game actually, but he was rightly taken off because Peyper had him in his sights. Peyper was proper dogshit today, He aided and abetted Wales today. I mean instead of blowing up Wyn Jones for repeatedly laying all over the back of the ruck...he literally went in and tried to help him out of the way. I've never seen a ref do that before, I knew then that we were done.

Few things

Curry is going to be a world class 7. IF he is looked after he has the attributes to be Englands best player for a generation....IF!!

Who was it on here that tried to argue Daley and Williams are about equal as a 15? Williams is easily in the top 3 15s in the world. The desperate dentist does everything and England lost the game due to his threat counter attacking.

Why is Biggar is hated? He always always gives us a performance.

Josh Adams is really developing! That was a world class finish and if done by May it would be lorded all over the UK and beyond!

Sinckler needs to see a shrink! Headcase!

just got in, wonderful evening, best team won boys. a good team stops you playing to your strengths, That's exactly what Wales did to England.

In all our games so far we make the stats look incredible from a defensive pov. But you can't win all games with fierce defence, just because it worked vs Ireland doesn't mean it will work vs Wales. We had to hold the ball, play the phases, play more narrow before we earn the right to go wide. It was so simple today for the Welsh, Liam Williams played a standard game for a full back, it wasn't difficult for him, he just played how a full back is taught.

We were away from home. Why we didn't keep hold of the ball more I will never know.

I hope we learn from this...

Few things

Curry is going to be a world class 7. IF he is looked after he has the attributes to be Englands best player for a generation....IF!!

Who was it on here that tried to argue Daley and Williams are about equal as a 15? Williams is easily in the top 3 15s in the world. The desperate dentist does everything and England lost the game due to his threat counter attacking.

Why is Biggar is hated? He always always gives us a performance.

Josh Adams is really developing! That was a world class finish and if done by May it would be lorded all over the UK and beyond!

Sinckler needs to see a shrink! Headcase!
4 out of 5, not bad.

Sinckler did nothing wrong, but if you want to follow the media like a puppet, so be it.

Fair play to Wales deserved win. They played well and i dont think we played badly as a whole, strong tackling but as alot have said we didnt use a plan b we just stuck at it. Put in something stupid like 200 tackles and wonder why we sre tired and dropping off at the end. We just didnt create much at all ball in hand.

We didnt use manu enough in the second half.

And when we kicked this game most seemed to go to Nowells wing not Mays, i thought we would hit may all day as he has the pace to get there and has been great in the air. Especially from restarts.

I dont think much needs changing in this England. Hope lawes isnt out for long but itoje should be back soon.

Moon was solid as far as i saw but still wanted genge to get more time.

I thought we would bring on ford earlier to change our attack and add something.

Oh well well done Wales! Bring on super Saturday. Wales win Grandslam, they lose and we win, tournement ours on BPs.

Stats are mental,

Wales top tackler: Navidi with 12
England's top: Curry with 24, shortly followed by George with 22
We must have made about 5 times the amount of tackles as Wales had to

Stats are mental,

Wales top tackler: Navidi with 12
England's top: Curry with 24, shortly followed by George with 22
We must have made about 5 times the amount of tackles as Wales had to

Thats our problem. We win games because of our 'dominant tackles' but we really need to run more phases. If we can get the to work in unison then we could be onto something :)

Decent contest, my thoughts are :

- how can AWJ do this at his age?
- Liam Williams with a definitive fullback performance. His decision making and execution under pressure was taking the Michael
- Gatland is doing that with four regions staring down the barrel of all missing Pro14 playoffs - his player pool is well below what England and Ireland have available.
- a perfect example of the calmness and focus Gatland is able to inject in his players in big games
- Shaun Edwards: believe the hype
- Dan Biggar always the man for the big occasion and the way he always responds to being dropped is impressive

I wont pretend I wasn't cheering the smaller nation, but England's failure to adapt was maddening. Kicking it away and not commiting to the ruck down to the last few minutes. All the leaders on the field were wearing red today.

Latest posts