• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2019 Six Nations] Wales vs England (23/02/2019)

It's almost like you're losing your arrogance James!

Come on, it takes more than being outplayed and humbled by our greatest rivals to stop an Englishman's arrogance old boy.

Now hold my Barbour jacket while I guffaw at some oiky welsh miners will you? Tally ho!

... while twiddling your comedy moustaches!

England,once again, flatter to deceive; sadly. In the first two games, England executed the kicking game well, but against teams who were both sub par - especially France; against Wales, who were thoroughly prepared for the same style of England attack, they kicked poorly throughout and failed to maintain in any consistent pressure on a very sound Welsh defence. The first half was a 'win' for England, largely on the back of a monumental defensive effort that as other contributors have pointed out, took a huge toll in terms of physical energy, as well as the loss of the influential Lawes through injury. The big bash approach looked much less effective without Mako to share the load with his brother, against an equally committed Welsh defence.
The second half really witnessed the impact in terms of thinking and effort by England; Farrell appeared less and less able to influence the game, the backline appeared to be focussed on one man efforts to run the ball, rather putting rapid phases together and the Welsh just sensed the loss of aggression and direction, which in turn energised their own efforts to good effect.
Until the English team can really learn to think on their feet, respond fast and effectively with alternative tactics when plan A does not work; rather than just continuing to bang their heads against a wall, they will continue to lose key games because they will always get worked out by well prepared and motivated teams.

Why do u feel the need to apply labels and make accusations of Rudeness and Arrogance I'm sure they have nothing to do with EJ et all's reasoning it's just completely uncalled for...

lol - perish the thought of applying a label of arrogance to the English! I thought you'd be used to it by now! BUT, and I repeat, I would have said the same about any team showing this much disrespect and (whispers) arrogance. Unfortunately, in the professional and social media ere, every aspect of the sport, on and off the field is up for scrutiny. If it applies to your particular team or nation you gotta deal with it.

nice wales; who now become the WC #1 contenders?

New Zealand always were and still are pretty strong favourites for the cup... I think Ireland, England, Wales and probably South Africa all have their hands up as having a chance though.

'

8CEF0E65-6B72-462B-A6CD-31068636EE2E.gif

It pains me to say England were outplayed and out thought, but we were. Congrats to Wales.
I can't believe that when Plan A is obviously not working (poor kicking into space to a proper full back), why can't the players think on their feet and change it themselves? A stronger captain than Farrell would have seen it happening and changed things.
May was starved of the ball, Tuilagi was almost invisible along with Slade. The kicking game was poorly executed and it was crying out for going through the phases with ball in hand, then spreading it wide.

It's difficult to criticise any player seeing they were out on their feet with the tackle count, but Wilson didn't have his best game and Sinkler is still giving away silly penalties. ( I wouldn't swap him for Williams or Cole though)

All the players put in a good shift defensively and Tom Curry is just at another level . With Underhill on the other flank that back row will get better and better.
With Courtney unavailable for the remaining games, hopefully Itoje will be back, but Kruis and Launch are still good enough.
Genge has to be given a good 60 against Italy along with Robson and Big Joe.
If JJ is ready, Italy might be a good time to try pairing him with Manu and putting Farrell and Slade with the finishers and give Ford back the 10 shirt a bit of confidence.

Both games are still winnable, but Wales was the one we all wanted and its gone.

Moving on to Wales, some excellent games from Williams, Adams, Navidi and AJW in particular.
When Falateu, Griffifths and Jenkins return, Wales have some excellent options in their back row with Shingler joining Moriarty, Tipuric and Navidi for selection. Like Robshaw for England, Lydiate has had his day.
I see them winning both their remaining games but no BP against Ireland. Scotland could be in for a hammering.

As good as Wilson and Underhill are, if Ben can perform at international level to anywhere near the standard that Tom's been playing at, I'd start both.

Alot has been said as about EJ not using his bench and ive been thinking about why, is it he doesnt trust them in which we sre screwed if the coach doesnt trusyt the second or third choices,

the only other theory i xould come up with is that this is preparing for the world cup, in a real big game environment putting a full 15 as a squad together and making them play a a full 80, seeing how they respond and play when they are at their limit, not many chances and in training isnt a real environment.
I think you might be giving him too much credit, it was inexplicable, especially given a possible GS was on the line.

No I would have said that about any side. ALSO didn't I read somewhere that 10 of the English squad had never played in Wales before? And yet EJ turns down an opportunity for them to feel the ground before the match. Just weird, rude, arrogant. And actually nothing to do with nations.
Weird - maybe.
Rude - really, how?
Arrogant - ZZZZzzzz

I think you might be giving him too much credit, it was inexplicable, especially given a possible GS was on the line.

Agreed. If anything if he was planning for the WC, he would have given as many players as he could a run in such a big game anyway. I genuinely think he just couldn't believe what he was seeing and froze/got brain fade - just like the skipper.

Was a great weekend though over far too soon and now 'another' two week wait until the next one. Moving forwards, regardless of the Scottish injury situation (& they may have some players coming back into the fold by the time we hit Edinburgh) Murrayfield has become a real tough place to travel to. I think what may help to galvanise Scotland is that they only have one game remaining after the Wales game... and they simply ain't winning in Twickers, so they have to beat Wales at home to prevent themselves from finishing the competition with a measly win over the Italians.

As with the France and England games this year, I'd be happy to walk away from the Scotland game with a one point victory... tier 1 away matches are not easy these days and the W would be more than enough for me. If we employ the same sort of muscular, tight, 'Warrenball' against the Scots that we utilised this past weekend... it 'should' be enough. This Scotland side has struggled in tight games dominated by pick and go's etc.

I'd imagine the English fans are still 'relatively' confident of taking the championship what with Wales still having to play Ireland on the last weekend together with the fact that while we are still without any BP's, the English BP's look like their gonna keep coming in the next two rounds.

Agreed. If anything if he was planning for the WC, he would have given as many players as he could a run in such a big game anyway. I genuinely think he just couldn't believe what he was seeing and froze/got brain fade - just like the skipper.
Agreed. But he gets paid the big bucks to get those decisions right. #gatlandforengland.

Still annoyed, but I'll get over it at some point next week. Questions for Wales. Can they play like that away from the Principality and against opponents who aren't England?

Agreed. But he gets paid the big bucks to get those decisions right. #gatlandforengland.

Still annoyed, but I'll get over it at some point next week. Questions for Wales. Can they play like that away from the Principality and against opponents who aren't England?

Wales can definitely play like that against oppo who isn't England... it was a very similar level to how we performed against the Boks last November and how we beat Ireland very similarly in 2017. The question about Cardiff is a fair one and we will have to see how that plays out.

I totally agree with you, i was just trying to come up woth some justification or possoble reason for a team making 200 tackles and not bring on fresh legs on.

Latest posts