• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2020 Six Nations] Ireland vs Wales (08/02/20)

Good performance, although it's just that. One good game.

It doesn't mean players we should keep this exact same team for another 10 months.

The win from Ireland was deserved just felt We deserved a losing bonus point . Felt the scrum collapse call was a bit harsh and it did look as though Parkes should of scored that was a bit overall disappointing. Overall Ireland deserved the win. Happy with the attacking play Wales brought but massive holes defensively is concerning .

Congrats Ireland... I think that's the best you've played since 2018 and although I'd have rathered that it hadn't have come today it was a more than deserved win. I'd always considered Conway quite workmanlike but he was as on point today as you could've wished... he ways fantastic! A fantastic win that should provide some earned positivity your side of the 'Irish'.

Wales-wise... this is absolutely no disrespect to the green but we can not afford to make errors like we did today (pressured as a lot of them were). Feel bad for Tompkins... I was calling for his start and I'll be calling for the same in a fortnight... but he felt the step up today! Tomos Williams struggled too... although Davies also showed his specific weaknesses when he came on also. Tough match for Wales but you have to take it, take responsibility for it and learn from it.

Gutted... but not entirely surprised.

Last edited:
Thought the welsh defence looked awful today. That's the main worry for me. Tompkins may take the most flak for that but then the whole line we're leaving gaps and didn't look solid in defence. France and England will be much better at taking advantage of that. Ireland did well to starve Wales of possession and that meant there were few chances. Two key moments that really took the game away were Ken's mad throw which led to a try and then Parkes not grounding.

The win from Ireland was deserved just felt We deserved a losing bonus point . Felt the scrum collapse call was a bit harsh and it did look as though Parkes should of scored that was a bit overall disappointing. Overall Ireland deserved the win. Happy with the attacking play Wales brought but massive holes defensively is concerning .
Disagree with that. Wales offered very little in attack and both tries were against the run of play. You need a good defence, but Wales didn't even have that.

Thought the welsh defence looked awful today. That's the main worry for me. Tompkins may take the most flak for that but then the whole line we're leaving gaps and didn't look solid in defence. France and England will be much better at taking advantage of that. Ireland did well to starve Wales of possession and that meant there were few chances. Two key moments that really took the game away were Ken's mad throw which led to a try and then Parkes not grounding.
Yeah your right there, our new defence definitely conceded numerous yards and breaks today. We've got to give it time to work as it's definitely different... but the blitz-drift definitely worries me (as opposed to the all-out blitz).

We have to bit the bullet, trust the leadership and buy in... for a while at least!

Why is Tompkins playing 10?
Congrats Ireland... I think that's the best you've played since 2018 and although I'd have rathered that it hadn't have come today it was a more than deserved win. I'd always considered Conway quite workmanlike but he was as on point today as you could've wished... he ways fantastic! A fantastic win that should provide some earned positivity your did3 of the 'Irish'.

Wales-wise... this is absolutely no disrespect to the green but we can not afford to make errors like we did today (pressured as a lot of them were). Feel bad for Tompkins... I was calling for his start and I'll be calling for the same in a fortnight... but he felt the step up today! Tomos Williams struggled too... although Davies also showed his specific weaknesses when he came on also. Tough match for Wales but you have to take it, take responsibility for it and learn from it.

Gutted... but not entirely surprised.
Gatlands Wales that ges is coming down to a pe
Disagree with that. Wales offered very little in attack and both tries were against the run of play. You need a good defence, but Wales didn't even have that.
Wouldn't expect you to agree . Wales looked better offensively than ever or maybe you missed the first try ?? Just didn't play enough in the right areas , for the most part we made good yardage in attack and apart from a little bit of bad luck this game would of been closer. Ireland deserved the win just felt it would of been closer imo

Yeah your right there, our new defence definitely conceded numerous yards and breaks today. We've got to give it time to work as it's definitely different... but the blitz-drift definitely worries me (as opposed to the all-out blitz).

We have to bit the bullet, trust the leadership and buy in... for a while at least!
I suspect that an all-out-blitz paired with Pivac's more expansive style of play may be asking too much of the player' fitness. Got to make compromises.

Good performance by Ireland but still lots to improve on.

Thought CJ Sdander was excellent apart from his three ruck penalties. Andrew Conway was MOTM for me.

I suspect that an all-out-blitz paired with Pivac's more expansive style of play may be asking too much of the player' fitness. Got to make compromises.
Fair... but until the players truly understand what is currently being asked of them (& that could take a while after being groomed in a particular way for 'time immemorial')... it's tough to see our defence exposed when we're used to the opposite.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm buying in... and personally at least (for the little it's worth) I'm all for the boys truly buying in to the coaches philosophy.

Last edited:
Wouldn't expect you to agree . Wales looked better offensively than ever or maybe you missed the first try ?? Just didn't play enough in the right areas , for the most part we made good yardage in attack and apart from a little bit of bad luck this game would of been closer. Ireland deserved the win just felt it would of been closer imo

So one attack in 80 minutes means you have a good attack? You didn't play in the right areas because you couldn't build an attacking platform. Individual moments of brilliance does not make an attack. Just ask Jonny May. Ireland deserved the win and tbh the score flatters Wales.

Latest posts