• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

EOYT: England v New Zealand, 01/12/2012

From the English frontrow yesterday I think Cole's the only one who you could say deserves a start even then Gatland would probably pick Jones over him. I'd be doubtful Youngs will even tour.

Based on recent form and the form of other British loose-heads, Corbisiero would be very unlucky not to make a match day squad, particularly if its a 23 man squad with two extra props - can anyone confirm whether this will be the case? Youngs was magnificent in many facets yesterday and again, considering the form of other hookers, he could be pushing for a place. As for Cole, if he's playing like this come next May Gatland would be insane not to pick him for his superb all round game.

But yeh, very much doubt the lions front row will be all English come May, although at this moment in time the English props seem to have got themselves in credit.

I suppose this is a bit of a way to remind the rugby world that...you can play with tremendous flair à la All-Blacks, score a bunch of tries and it looks magnificent and the scores are flattering piling up those 5-pointers and constantly flirting with the 40's, even 60's...but at the end of the day, you're threading on thin ice as you're doing this aren't you, and the only consistency in this sport is FORWARDS + DEFENSE.
England had both aplenty last night, played these two elements very efficiently, suffocated the AB's attack and made them suffocate on defense themselves. Auxiliary results of that were good scrums, line-outs and penalties of course...

If there could be, in a hypothetical mythological world, two teams of Gods - Team A is flair, beautiful passing, prolific try scoring etc..., Team B: defense/forwards/good kickers - even among Gods the only consistent one would be the second team. Because GREAT attack is awesome, but against equally GREAT defense and forward work, the bill just piles up for Team A and they lose, say, 3 out of 4.

Of course in the real world, the AB's are closer to GREAT attack than any other team is closer to GREAT defense+forward work.
BUT: as seen yesterday, Team B shows up occasionally around the world...

Based on recent form and the form of other British loose-heads, Corbisiero would be very unlucky not to make a match day squad, particularly if its a 23 man squad with two extra props - can anyone confirm whether this will be the case? Youngs was magnificent in many facets yesterday and again, considering the form of other hookers, he could be pushing for a place. As for Cole, if he's playing like this come next May Gatland would be insane not to pick him for his superb all round game.

But yeh, very much doubt the lions front row will be all English come May, although at this moment in time the English props seem to have got themselves in credit.

Never said anything about Corbiesero's actual involvement just don't think he'll start. Youngs touring could depend on whether Gatland is willing to pick Strauss. Yeas 23 man squads will be active.

Never said anything about Corbiesero's actual involvement just don't think he'll start. Youngs touring could depend on whether Gatland is willing to pick Strauss. Yeas 23 man squads will be active.
Youngs line-out throwing still needs work I'm afraid, he was very shakey against the Bok's in that area.
It's an acceptable fault I think, but excludes him from being the best out of the home unions.

Best of the home unions? He's not even the best at his own club.

Youngs line-out throwing still needs work I'm afraid, he was very shakey against the Bok's in that area.
It's an acceptable fault I think, but excludes him from being the best out of the home unions.

He'll get there by the summer imo - he's still got most of a Aviva and Heinekin season to correct it plus the 6 nations. And I imagine Rowntree will be mentoring him pretty closely as well.

From the English frontrow yesterday I think Cole's the only one who you could say deserves a start even then Gatland would probably pick Jones over him. I'd be doubtful Youngs will even tour.

Just to clarify, I said Englands first choice front row. Youngs is not part of that.

Jeez the Kiwis on here need to relax, the All Blacks were hit by novo two days before the match. That will have had a huge effect on strength and performance levels for at least a week. That being said England played brilliantly and are looking good for the future.

Jeez the Kiwis on here need to relax, the All Blacks were hit by novo two days before the match. That will have had a huge effect on strength and performance levels for at least a week. That being said England played brilliantly and are looking good for the future.

Yeah I reckon a mixture of England playing one hell of a game and NZ being hit by the novovirus led to the scoreline we saw. Looked like NZ, normally one of the fittest sides on the planet, had no energy left during the 2nd half.

I suppose this is a bit of a way to remind the rugby world that...you can play with tremendous flair à la All-Blacks, score a bunch of tries and it looks magnificent and the scores are flattering piling up those 5-pointers and constantly flirting with the 40's, even 60's...but at the end of the day, you're threading on thin ice as you're doing this aren't you, and the only consistency in this sport is FORWARDS + DEFENSE.
England had both aplenty last night, played these two elements very efficiently, suffocated the AB's attack and made them suffocate on defense themselves. Auxiliary results of that were good scrums, line-outs and penalties of course...

If there could be, in a hypothetical mythological world, two teams of Gods - Team A is flair, beautiful passing, prolific try scoring etc..., Team B: defense/forwards/good kickers - even among Gods the only consistent one would be the second team. Because GREAT attack is awesome, but against equally GREAT defense and forward work, the bill just piles up for Team A and they lose, say, 3 out of 4.

Of course in the real world, the AB's are closer to GREAT attack than any other team is closer to GREAT defense+forward work.
BUT: as seen yesterday, Team B shows up occasionally around the world...

That's a good way of putting it.

Wellington Lions | Wellington Hurricanes | All Blacks | 'Ikale Tahi & now England!

The all blacks never used the virus as an excuse . Ritchie mccaw said it was fine a few days before . I live in Wales and have heard more welsh mention the virus than new zealanders ;)

Richie McCaw isn't a doctor, trust me.

He also said he felt fine after the game. He might not be a doctor but he knows his body better than any doctor. If he say's that i tend to believe him. He also felt the team did not fall away in the second half.

I thought the ABs looked fine energy/fitness wise at the end of the game - if anything they were more intense as the game progressed rather than the other way round.
As mentioned above McCaw said that energy levels weren't an issue.
I know the virus will have impacted them, that's for definite, but I don't think it was a deciding factor.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2

He also said he felt fine after the game. He might not be a doctor but he knows his body better than any doctor. If he say's that i tend to believe him. He also felt the team did not fall away in the second half.

Ok next time you get novovirus and feel fine the next day, go to the gym and tell me what happens.

Yeah I reckon a mixture of England playing one hell of a game and NZ being hit by the novovirus led to the scoreline we saw. Looked like NZ, normally one of the fittest sides on the planet, had no energy left during the 2nd half.

Yes they did, they scored 1 try and nearly scored another in the last 5 minutes. What game were you watching?

There appears to be an element of attempting to discredit Englands performance by making out that the ABs were crap (when they really weren't), Mostly from the Celtic green eyed monster. As to be expected.

There appears to be an element of attempting to discredit Englands performance by making out that the ABs were crap (when they really weren't), Mostly from the Celtic green eyed monster. As to be expected.

Sigh, fine, the novovirus had absolutely no ill effects on the All Blacks performance. The next time I'm at uni I'll tell my professor he's a dick.

Every team that visits South Africa ends up with some mass sickness bug sweeping through the team, does seem to stop the boks claiming a victory when they win...