• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Heineken Cup 1/4F - Munster v Toulouse

No way would it be amazing if Munster lost! Look at the quality Toulouse have. They just need to bring a game plan with them. French teams always have quality players it's just they need a game plan that links them all together, which sometimes they fail to do. That's what has made Irish teams successful recently like Ireland in the six nations. They may not have world class players stamped across the team sheet but they make the most out of what they got. But yeah, if Toulouse do the same and play like a team with the individuals they have, it can go either way. Is Earls lined up opposite Gear? Earls got flattened by him the last I remember and I'm sure he hasn't forgotten either lol.

No way would it be amazing if Munster lost! Look at the quality Toulouse have. They just need to bring a game plan with them. French teams always have quality players it's just they need a game plan that links them all together, which sometimes they fail to do. That's what has made Irish teams successful recently like Ireland in the six nations. They may not have world class players stamped across the team sheet but they make the most out of what they got. But yeah, if Toulouse do the same and play like a team with the individuals they have, it can go either way. Is Earls lined up opposite Gear? Earls got flattened by him the last I remember and I'm sure he hasn't forgotten either lol.

Don't think Gear ever faced Earls ever? Maybe he did in international few years ago but certainly not at club level.
But certainly agree Toulouse can't be underestimated as while they've lost a lot on road they are only loosing them games by 1 score and also they're unbeaten away from home in Europe this season

Don't think Gear ever faced Earls ever? Maybe he did in international few years ago but certainly not at club level
Ohhh...he faced Earls....he faced him good alright

Last edited by a moderator:
Ohhh...he faced Earls....he faced him good alright

Hardly steamrolled though when you consider some may say it was illegal but also angles both were coming at with speed. Regardless both good players and I think Saturday will be 1st ever time they face each other directly

Last edited by a moderator:
Hardly steamrolled though when you consider some may say it was illegal but also angles both were coming at with speed. Regardless both good players and I think Saturday will be 1st ever time they face each other directly
Yeah Earls is hardly known for his big hits. It does show you how dangerous Gear is because I don't rate Zebo or Earls as big defenders so will be a task trying to stop Gear running through them. This match is going to be a cracker !!

Yeah Earls is hardly known for his big hits. It does show you how dangerous Gear is because I don't rate Zebo or Earls as big defenders so will be a task trying to stop Gear running through them. This match is going to be a cracker !!

As Feic said regards Munster back 3 in that they've gas but if they get no ball it will be pointless same goes for Toulouse back 3 and while Earls Zebo and others may not be big hitters they are steady.
Add in Toulouse have lost Johnson so their scrum is weakened a bit and well Nyanga and Piccamoles are really going to do well to be near 100% even if they make it and fact Toulouse are flying over an extended squad says it's touch and go.
This will simply come down to which game plan excels. Munster may try the "kick the corners" tactic but if kicking is sloppy Toulouse back 3 won't need a 2nd invite

that's right Census is out...*sighhhhhhhhhhhhh*..he's the one guy Toulouse couldn't afford to lose too much. There's no one near his level at TH and even with him on Toulouse's front row is definitely their flaw...
Big blow...no doubt.

that's right Census is out...*sighhhhhhhhhhhhh*..he's the one guy Toulouse couldn't afford to lose too much. There's no one near his level at TH and even with him on Toulouse's front row is definitely their flaw...
Big blow...no doubt.

Agreed 100%. He's a top class player and mixes superb scrummaging with some hefty carries. And I've no shame in saying I'm happy he's not playing as I feared him more than Piccamoles.

that's right Census is out...*sighhhhhhhhhhhhh*..he's the one guy Toulouse couldn't afford to lose too much.
Every time I see him play I'm like this guy could do a 1 man push over the line against a full scrum!!! He doesn't budge no matter who he's playing and when we played them he just had vunipola for breakfast, possibly literally, I think that Tolofua and Steenkamp will start to add MASS to the front row. Montes isn't terrible by any stretch but Census is just gargantuan.

Census Johnston is good in the loose although sometimes "lazy", slow to get up and react. That's one dimension we lose with him out. In the scrum he's basically THE Toulouse Tighthead so there's no way we can afford to lose him but it's a done deal.
You guys are over-rating him wayyyy too much for his scrummaging though. He does bring stability to the pack because he's a 1m90 140kg monster, but he's by no means a fantastic scrummager or anything.
Toulouse's scrum is its biggest concern and flaw, and Johnston is the starting tighthead. I've seen him in difficulty often there.

And no Yohan Montès isn't terrible, but he's not going to add that Pac. Isld dimension to the game, and he'll be just about ok I hope in the scrum, which will be his no.1 task. If he can hold up in the scrum at least, and be solid with the tackling and maybe add a tad just a tad in the rucks that's all we can ask of him...

Foot soldiers. Cringe. Band wagoners more like.
Ironic coming from a Leinster fan. Most of our bandwagoners back in 2008 came from Leinster not Munster. Remember those fond old days when Leinster could barely fill Donnybrook?

ah, good. I see you're making amends for past anti-french blabbering...;)
mmmmm...tough tough tough for Toulouse ! Can't wait for this one, really hope Toulouse show up. I'll have nothing to say and no regrets if they at least play to 90% of their potential. They may well go there and play a non-match, even with those stakes.
Aller Toulouse.

I've always been a Toulouse supporter. Is my French rugby team.

Give me a Toulouse jersey, please

:D:D:D

I have a Toulouse polo shirt ;)

Toulouse in Munster:

Screen shot 2014-04-04 at 1.24.12 PM.png

Again, big hole not seeing our cherished Samoan tighthead there, but Montes can play ONE good game in his absence I'm sure. He's definitely not an enormous difference in terms of weight (120/128kg) and brings stability to the scrum anyways.

A few youngsters starting: Fickou, Tolofua at hooker and especially U20 player Camara on one flank. Nyanga will not play after all.........so that's both our starting flankers out along with Dusau.
Bummed not to see Yann David as replacement at least...his power at center would've brought great punch in the waning moments.

Oh, almost forgot: no McAllister in 10 either, Beauxis leading the attack. And Doussain on the bench, I'm guessing to add that punch like he has for France.
With a couple of open spots off the bench, it'll be a last second call-up. Maybe McAllister will be available after all.

Last edited:
With a couple of open spots off the bench, it'll be a last second call-up. Maybe McAllister will be available after all.
I was going to say that 2 spots are missing off the bench. With the selection of Beauxis I think it shows that Toulouse aren't going to go and throw the ball around, they're kicking goals and putting it back into the Munster 22. That pack is massive, and the backs look good if they are given the ball.

I was going to say that 2 spots are missing off the bench. With the selection of Beauxis I think it shows that Toulouse aren't going to go and throw the ball around, they're kicking goals and putting it back into the Munster 22. That pack is massive, and the backs look good if they are given the ball.

Beauxis is more of a pragmatic style for sure at 10, but he can bring flair, as little known a fact as this is. He's got a good nose for attacking situations and won't hesitate to throw a spot-on skip pass.

As for up front: we're really mediocre in the tight 3. Tolofua is a fantastic talent but still lacks the caps at barely 20 yo and the lineout throws, mmmmm....
Montes we're all just hoping doesn't concede penalties the entire game in the scrum and isn't too big a liability around the field. And Steenkamp isn't exactly making the World XV nowadays...
2nd row's good, and the third row is, again, lacking our two best flankers by a mile but we do have Picamoles at the base and Galan off the bench.

Basically, I'm really happy with the backline (11-15) and Picamoles/Galan. Doussain off the bench is good news too, and despite some obvious flaws I like Tolofua starting.

Ironic coming from a Leinster fan. Most of our bandwagoners back in 2008 came from Leinster not Munster. Remember those fond old days when Leinster could barely fill Donnybrook?

Lunsters are coming back funnily enough, they usually just go for the better team, I blame the new hipster sportsfans.

2nd row's good, and the third row is, again, lacking our two best flankers by a mile but we do have Picamoles at the base and Galan off the bench
Yeah you do have one of the top locks in the world in Albacete, The problem I have with Toulouse is no real rucking threat, they needed to have Qera or someone there as Tekori is a lock, a damn good tackler don't get me wrong and can be almost impossible to get off the ball, but he doesn't slow down every ball he doesn't know when to go for the ball and when to leave it.

@Rumpi I think Groundhog put you in place. But I seriously doubt band wagoners would trek across Europe spending money to get tickets. Maybe ye do it different up there but not many have money to do that for fun down here.

But agree with Cmac in that some are around and do follow whoever is successful but well that majority of Munster fans in Thomond on Saturday will have been there through recent slumps.

Regards game our team is good although we will miss Ryan and Cronin. Our bench looks a bit weaker especially at prop so we need BJ and Killer to go the 80.
Downey back at 12 gives us that bit of muscle which I think will be vital when defending

Isn't Tekori a lock?

edit. Saffycen, I agree, I think the breakdown is something Munster can really target.

Last edited:

Latest posts