• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Heineken Cup P4: Ulster vs Castres Olympique - 12/10/12

Unless they put him at 10?

Don't see any need to, the Ginger Messiah has been impressive to date, and if Pienaar's ready to roll into action, he'd make the most difference at scrum-half.

Squad

FORWARDS (16):
Rob Herring, Rory Best, Nigel Brady, Neil McComb, John Afoa, Tom Court, Adam Macklin, Callum Black, Johann Muller, Dan Tuohy, Lewis Stevenson, Stephen Ferris, Mike McComish, Iain Henderson, Chris Henry, Nick Williams.

BACKS (11):
Ruan Pienaar, Paul Marshall, Michael Heaney, Paddy Jackson, Paddy Wallace, Darren Cave, Luke Marshall, Andrew Trimble, Tommy Bowe, Craig Gilroy, Jared Payne.

Don't see any need to, the Ginger Messiah has been impressive to date, and if Pienaar's ready to roll into action, he'd make the most difference at scrum-half.

I agree - but to be honest I'd like to see how Jackson does at 12 because he's quite bulky (bearing in mind Paddy Wallace is 33). But I suppose Luke Marshall / Chris Farrell has that covered.

I agree - but to be honest I'd like to see how Jackson does at 12 because he's quite bulky (bearing in mind Paddy Wallace is 33). But I suppose Luke Marshall / Chris Farrell has that covered.

Ever so slightly, yes ;) Jackson's our chance to produce a world class 10 who'll be with us until the end of his career, I wouldn't look at him in any other position imo.

Disagree. We've every chance of winning in Castres. Not saying we will, but am convinced it can be done.

Its the last match in the pool, if Castres are out by then, they'll be concentrating on Top14 matters.

We would have beat Clermont in Clermont last year but for bloody blind Dave Pearson. With the pack we now have, we are no longer something of a soft touch away from Ravenhill.

Team according to the BBC

Ulster: J Payne; T Bowe, D Cave, P Wallace, A Trimble; P Jackson, P Marshall; T Court, R Best, J Afoa; J Muller (c), D Tuohy; I Henderson, S Ferris, C Henry.
Replacements: R Herring, C Black, A Macklin, L Stevenson, M McComish, R Pienaar, L Marshall, C Gilroy.

Some team.

Shame Williams is injured but what an opporutinty for Henderson! Will be good to see how Ferris steps up. With Williams over shadowing him in the carrying department so far this season, this game will give Ferris an opportunity to show just how powerful he is.

That team really has the class to beat anyone in Europe. With Fitzpatrick, Williams and Wilson still to come into things, it has the potential to be a great year for Ulster.

[TABLE="class: matchteams matchteams_ba, width: 850"]
<tbody>[TR="class: home"]
[TD="class: logo"]
24.gif
[/TD]
[TD]15. Jared Payne, 14. Tommy Bowe, 13. Darren Cave, 12. Paddy Wallace, 11. Andrew Trimble, 10. Paddy Jackson, 9. Paul Marshall, 1. Tom Court, 2. Rory Best, 3. John Afoa, 4. Johann Muller, 5. Dan Tuohy, 6. Iain Henderson, 7. Chris Henry, 8. Stephen Ferris,
16. Rob Herring, 17. Callum Black, 18. Adam Macklin, 19. Lewis Stevenson, 20. Mike McComish, 21. Ruan Pienaar, 22. Luke Marshall, 23. Craig Gilroy,[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: away"]
[TD="class: logo"]
62.gif
[/TD]
[TD]15. Romain Teulet, 14. Marcel Garvey, 13. Seremaia Bai, 12. Daniel Kirkpatrick, 11. Marc Andreu, 10. Pierre Bernard, 9. Thierry Lacrampe, 1. Yannick Forestier, 2. Mathieu Bonello, 3. Michaël Coetzee, 4. Matthias Rolland, 5. Rodrigo Capo Ortega, 6. Piula Faasalele, 7. Yannick Caballero, 8. Pedrie Wannenburg,
16. Marc-Antoine Rallier, 17. Grégory Marmoiton, 18. Mihaïta Lazar, 19. Iosefa Tekori, 20. Antonie Claassen, 21. Rory Kockott, 22. Paul Bonnefond, 23. Thomas Sanchou,[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]
Team News:

Ulster - Keep faith with the successful on form side, just Nick Williams is injured and replaced by Iain Henderson. Roger Wilson is also injured but is returning for the Ulster Ravens this weekend. Ruan Pienaar returns from the Springbok side onto the bench.

Castres - The side have just lost their coaches this week, who confirmed they are leaving at the end of the season (expected to join Racing). They field a half full strength side. Some first choice players are rested especially in the backs such as Brice Dulin, Romain Martial, Romain Cabannes, Rémi Tales and Rory Kockott (the Top 14 leading points scorer so far). In the forwards star ball carrier and tackler Joe Tekori is rested, first choice tighthead prop and flanker Karena Wihongi and Ibrahim Diarra are injured, and Fa'asalele and Wannenburg both of whom have seen very little game time this season (Wanneburg served a ban) get a chance to play. So not a fully strength Castres side, with Kockott and Tekori in particular big players for them rested, but they do have some like Marc Andreu, Yannick Forestier and Yannick Caballero who are regulars in the side, and also some like Marcel Garvey, Seremaia Bai, Pierre Bernard and the back rowers who get a chance and could be eager to impress after receiving little game time this season.

Interesting backrow should have a varied lineout. As I said expect an Ulster win especially considering the teams. Saw a stat the other day apparently Castres have won one away h cup game in their last 17 away games.

Stephen Ferris at 8? Oh. My. God. This will be a thing of beauty. Henderson is also class, expect yards to be made by that back row. Ulster side looks a step up, should win comfortably.

I think we'll win either way but if we play like we did against Connacht it's going to be a very boring game, however if we click I'd put my money on a bonus point win.

I would argue that Heaslip should be worried anyway. Remember this is a Lions season and only 2 years ago Heaslip would have been a near definite for the 8 jersey. Now it appears that he is among a number of contenders. With Wilson returning to Ireland, and the likes of POM playing well competition is high for the jersey.

I would argue that Heaslip should be worried anyway. Remember this is a Lions season and only 2 years ago Heaslip would have been a near definite for the 8 jersey. Now it appears that he is among a number of contenders. With Wilson returning to Ireland, and the likes of POM playing well competition is high for the jersey.

Yeah, I rate POM very highly to be honest. - do you think if Wilson was still in Ireland he would have had a few games at say the 6n?

Stephen Ferris has failed to recover from a back injury and misses tonight's game. Mike McComish comes in at 8. Neil McComb is named on the bench.
thats what the official fac-e-book page has said
chances of winning cut by 10 percent as ferris is the lord

Yeah, I rate POM very highly to be honest. - do you think if Wilson was still in Ireland he would have had a few games at say the 6n?

I think he is still some way off Heaslip's level, but if Wilson is playing well then he certainly will be some form of competition.

Latest posts