• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland v Argentina 21/11/21

Few ways we can go with the teams selection, do we look to maintain momentum and make basically no changes apart from Sexton and any injuries or do we rotate and let some of the fresher guys who are probably chomping at the bit have a go? Despite their record Argentina are obviously a good team and historically our matches are quite hostile so we need to be switched on. I think I'd go with rotation but still what I would call a strong side.

1. Healy 2. Sheehan 3. Furlong
17. Kilcoyne 16. Herring 18. O'Toole
- give Sheehan his first start with two props he's familiar with and who will provide a strong scrum. Get Furlong off as early as if he was South African

4. Henderson 5. Beirne
19. Baird
- Ryan has played every minute so far. Let him rest and get Baird some gamete.

6. Coombes 7. POM 8. Conan
20. Timoney
- obviously depends on Coombes' fitness

9. JGP 10. Carbery
21. Casey 22. Byrne
- Murray doesn't need gametime with Ireland, I want to see how Carbery gets on with JGP's style and tempi

12. Henshaw 13. Hume
- I doubt Aki is fully fit, Henshaw is class. Rungrose also put in a hell of a shift last week and doesn't have the best injury record while Hume deserves a go.

11. Lowe 14. Baloucoune 15. Zebo
23. Larmour
- maybe overboard on the changes here. Keenan has had a ridiculous run of consecutive tests which he's been well worth but could do with seeing how we perform with another 15. Along with Carbery I'd say Baloucoune is almost a guaranteed change despite Conway being near perfect.

I'd start Casey and Coombes. Were our backrow world class and near faultless on the weekend? Maybe. Would Coombes have tongue punched the All Blacks' fart boxes while easily scoring all of those missed opportunities on the All Blacks line? 100% yes. I'm not saying the All Blacks poisoned him 1995 World Cup style, but I'm not ruling it out

I have no objections to JGP starting, but I'd like Casey to get a half. Would be nice if Baloucoune and Hume got starts too. Big game for Carbery.

Few ways we can go with the teams selection, do we look to maintain momentum and make basically no changes apart from Sexton and any injuries or do we rotate and let some of the fresher guys who are probably chomping at the bit have a go? Despite their record Argentina are obviously a good team and historically our matches are quite hostile so we need to be switched on. I think I'd go with rotation but still what I would call a strong side.

1. Healy 2. Sheehan 3. Furlong
17. Kilcoyne 16. Herring 18. O'Toole
- give Sheehan his first start with two props he's familiar with and who will provide a strong scrum. Get Furlong off as early as if he was South African

4. Henderson 5. Beirne
19. Baird
- Ryan has played every minute so far. Let him rest and get Baird some gamete.

6. Coombes 7. POM 8. Conan
20. Timoney
- obviously depends on Coombes' fitness

9. JGP 10. Carbery
21. Casey 22. Byrne
- Murray doesn't need gametime with Ireland, I want to see how Carbery gets on with JGP's style and tempi

12. Henshaw 13. Hume
- I doubt Aki is fully fit, Henshaw is class. Rungrose also put in a hell of a shift last week and doesn't have the best injury record while Hume deserves a go.

11. Lowe 14. Baloucoune 15. Zebo
23. Larmour
- maybe overboard on the changes here. Keenan has had a ridiculous run of consecutive tests which he's been well worth but could do with seeing how we perform with another 15. Along with Carbery I'd say Baloucoune is almost a guaranteed change despite Conway being near perfect.
Agreed with all of the above. Would be equally happy with Frawley and Henshaw in midfield also.

Sexton ruled out 4-6 weeks with a twisted knee/ankle. That happened a decent bit before he went off as well. Some toughness.

Coombes also confirmed back available for selection and Carty called up.

JGP ruled out McGrath called up.

Ryan taking over the captaincy.

I'm now torn. For the attack and overall I do want Casey to start but a Casey Carbery partnership terrifies me defensively.

JGP ruled out McGrath called up.

Ryan taking over the captaincy.

I'm now torn. For the attack and overall I do want Casey to start but a Casey Carbery partnership terrifies me defensively.
Equally a Casey Joey attack could really scare Argentina. If we continue on our current style Casey could be more suited than JGP. So why not try him.

I'd also like to see Healy at THP here, See where the hell he is now.

Equally a Casey Joey attack could really scare Argentina. If we continue on our current style Casey could be more suited than JGP. So why not try him.

I'd also like to see Healy at THP here, See where the hell he is now.
Agree with you on both here. Good to know if Casey and Carbery is too weak defensively, let's find out now.

Also I think Healy could potentially be our bench tighthead for the world cup. He's been great there for Leinster and it suits a slower older player.

Agree with you on both here. Good to know if Casey and Carbery is too weak defensively, let's find out now.

Also I think Healy could potentially be our bench tighthead for the world cup. He's been great there for Leinster and it suits a slower older player.
On all those. This is where we find out. Chances are realistically 50/50 that should we go far in RWC and Sexton plays that he will wear down faster. So we need alternatives.
The 9 battle I fear will be topsy turvy so noone will own spot so they should all be comfortable in it.
Healy - Well this may be his role like lets see. A test vs Argentina is as good as you can hope to find out.

Kinsella's possible team:

Possible Ireland XV (v Argentina):

• 15. Hugo Keenan
  • 14. Robert Baloucoune
  • 13. Garry Ringrose
  • 12. Robbie Henshaw
  • 11. James Lowe
  • 10. Joey Carbery
  • 9. Conor Murray
  • 1. Andrew Porter
  • 2. Rónan Kelleher
  • 3. Tadhg Furlong
  • 4. Iain Henderson
  • 5. James Ryan (captain)
  • 6. Caelan Doris
  • 7. Josh van der Flier
  • 8. Jack Conan.

Don't know why he never includes the bench.

Kinsella's possible team:

Possible Ireland XV (v Argentina):

• 15. Hugo Keenan
  • 14. Robert Baloucoune
  • 13. Garry Ringrose
  • 12. Robbie Henshaw
  • 11. James Lowe
  • 10. Joey Carbery
  • 9. Conor Murray
  • 1. Andrew Porter
  • 2. Rónan Kelleher
  • 3. Tadhg Furlong
  • 4. Iain Henderson
  • 5. James Ryan (captain)
  • 6. Caelan Doris
  • 7. Josh van der Flier
  • 8. Jack Conan.

Don't know why he never includes the bench.
0 changes in the pack seems crazy to me honestly.

Thornley saying same and despite doing either/or for the bench frontrow seems pretty definite Coombes isn't on the bench.

Obviously not what I would have gone for. Is still 4 changes to the starting team, Argentina are no mugs and if they are serious about a WC starters will have to play multiple games in a row but still a bit disappointing honestly.

Coombes is on our internal list here to fly out to SA on tour so looks like he will possibly be added once released from camp today.

Understand keeping a flow but outside JGP and Sexton who are injury enforced. And rumours Aki has a ****le I'm guessing Conway is only change by choice.
Nothing against lads in backrow or Hugo at 15, Lowe/Conway and even Ryan at lock. They have done superb . It should be more assessing other options.

Now to be fair Farrell and co have been good keeping camp under wraps.

Don't really see the logic in this selection. Argentina are a good yardstick for guys like Sheehan, Casey, Frawley, Coombes, Hume, Baird, Baloucoune (thankfully picked), even Zebo to come up against good, solid international opposition. Maybe don't pick/start them all, but they need to be exposed at this level if they're going to be viable options for big games. If we had lost last week I could understand the tendency to go strong, but Farrell has the breathing room to rotate the squad, and regardless it would still be a very strong squad. Had a feeling Coombes wouldn't be picked as I think he appeared in a video for Munster's altitude training the other day, which is strange.

Think we're asking for injuries in the pack here to be honest given the workload lads got through last week. Will hold my tears until the squad is announced.

Latest posts