• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC 2023 Final] New Zealand v South Africa 28/10/23 20:00 BST

Hope that it's an open running game, rather than a dozen scrums that take 6 minutes each.
NZ have looked pretty indestructible ever since their opening-day loss. Their only foot wrong was Telea forgetting his watch.
Whereas you can see a few chinks in the Bok armour, which Ireland, France and England have all managed to exploit.
And if the accusations of racism in the SA ranks turn out to be true, then I really hope for NZ to win.
Hate to say you probably need to adjust your expectations. NZ has been in 4 finals. SA in 3. SA scoring 0.66 tries per final, NZ scoring 1.75 tries per final but 0 against SA in a final. Actually, across 3 finals, no team has scored a try vs SA in a final so lets say if we are lucky we might see 2 tries. At least, that should be a reasonable expectation if you don't want to end up disappointed.

Other than finals there have been 4 times SA and NZ met in a RWC but also hasn't been a ton of tries either but at least more than the 0 in 1995 final: 2015 QF 2 tries to NZ, 0 for SA, 1999 bronze medal match 1 try for SA, 0 for NZ, 2003 QF 3 tries for NZ, 0 for SA so max 3 tries in any game between these 2 across quite a number of RWC matches for an average of 9 tries acorss 5 games (if I'm counting the final again and the pool match in 2019 which had 3 tries total).

SA 2, NZ 3 wins in RWC so it'll probably be a tight(ish) affair with 2 or 3 tries.

I predicted New Zealand would win the whole thing. And I'm not changing my mind now.

Although I am really hoping for a South Africa win because I despise New Zealand.

I was at the stadium on saturday.. Boring match and atmosphere!
I have tickets for the final, but i don't know if it will be nicer, and enouth to have fun!

I could imagine Rassie rustling up some oscar winning video footage of a player getting injured in training.

The Barretts + 20 other blokes for me. Never write off the Boks, but I think this will be a big game too far for them. NZ has the momentum and will be fresher.

Given all the pelters Cane and Foster have taken it would be quite funny to see them lift Bill. Especially if there's a contentious decision or 2 to send Erasmus into meltdown.

Dickson and Carey are ARs. Foley is the TMO which imho he's probably the best one.

But did Luke violate the disciplinary code or something?

WR have a top echelon of refs. Is Pearce on there?
In 2019 it was clearly garces, owens, peyper, and Barnes. Maybe poite was in that category??

Garces and owens are retired. Peyper is hurt.

it seems o'keefe has been elevated into that tier. This forum would elevate Pearce onto that tier but I'd rather have him on the sidelines than Dickson.

I want South Africa to win, but I think New Zealand will.

Go Boks! 🏉

What do SA do if Mbonambi ends up with a ban? Couple large if's there, but what would the contingency be?

Can't go into a final with 2 'kind of'' hookers in there surely? Does someone get a toenail injury?
Was thinking this myself. A hamstring strain is now sufficient to cause a replacement.

SA has lets a lot of energy against France and England with one day less for recovering. Plus Kiwis have regain confidence in their game plan.
NZ for me.
you mean completely changed the game plans in the last few weeks to one the works?
I predicted New Zealand would win the whole thing. And I'm not changing my mind now.

Although I am really hoping for a South Africa win because I despise New Zealand.
"despise" seems harsh.....generally we're lovely people