• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC 2023 Final] New Zealand v South Africa 28/10/23 20:00 BST

Congrats to SA and their fans, well deserved...

But what an awful finish, to an awful game, to an awful tournament!

I've watched every world cup since I was of age enough to understand '95. I've never cared so little about an outcome of a final.
This tournament has been very patchy and predictable in places. I think it started well but completely lost momentum until around the Ireland vs SA game. It then dropped again and never quite returned. SA winning was never in doubt for me before the first kick of the tournament.

Not sure if the issues were just a bad draw for the pools or the quality itself though.

Worst game I've seen from Barnes in a long time. Lacks his normal confidence
Normally he has a good handle on what the players and keeps them competing cleanly.
Tonight it looked 'one game too far for him' in his career.

It's the nature of the beast. They win. Doesn't matter how ugly but somehow they have the BMT and know how to eke out a win against better sides.
This is why I wanted France to win, I wanted to see a team that actually wants to play good rugby win. Because it might encourage other teams to do so.

Back to back by a super Conservative team make me worry how many pt counties will follow that model...

Not trying to take the win from you just offering perspective about why I don't to see it go this way.

Exactly.

This is WR creating more mess of our great game.
I don't think Curry deserved his red still don't. But the ref set out their stall by giving that and it should of continued to the final.

Vaguely remember some controversy with her during the lions tour, can't remember if she got barred from pitchside or something but she was directing players on goal line defence
As a fellow female, I can say she drives me mad. She's like some fishwife on acid.

Congrats to SA, three one point wins in a row might sound lucky but it also says something about their resilience and motivation.
Just think about the Kolbe yellow, he might be sent out but he also might have saved his team doing so.
And DuToit is easily the Man of the Tournament, extremely impressive in all facets of the game.

This tournament has been very patchy and predictable in places. I think it started well but completely lost momentum until around the Ireland vs SA game. It then dropped again and never quite returned. SA winning was never in doubt for me before the first kick of the tournament.

Not sure if the issues were just a bad draw for the pools or the quality itself though.

SA win never in doubt from the start of the tournement? They have(deservedly) managed to get through a QF SF and F each by 1 point,

As in if Pollard missed his fonal kick vs Eng, they lose, if Barratt got his final kick they lose. Of France had done france things in the last min they lose.

SA deserved to win and earned the win but it was definitely not set in stone. Until that final whistle

I'm very happy. We needed this. Well done New Zealand and I'm so sorry that a card played an important role in that second half. But it was a massive game of pitching up and being willing and take the hips and applying tone pressure. What a game.
So much stress. It means so much beyond what many can understand. Well done to this squad. Well done for getting back to back. Well done for turning this around. And I'm so sorry if in any way I've been an arrogant winner!

What a win! Thank you forwards! Thank you for closing out! Thank you Kwagga ******* Smith! Thank you Deon Fourie. Sorry if I've missed any of the controversies and I'll engage on that in a second viewing… but this means so much… and I am so disconnected and SA needs this so badly and I am so happy for the rest of the nation. Thank you so much Kolisi for providing so much hope in a country in a land that lacks so much of it. What a game.

Consolidations New Zealand. You sticked up so far being a man down for so long. You were amazing. But we were always going to be empty barrels against you so much. We respect you so much. Until the next RWC. Thank you. I apologise and you pushed so hard. Until next time <3