• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC 2023 Final] New Zealand v South Africa 28/10/23 20:00 BST

This tournament has been very patchy and predictable in places. I think it started well but completely lost momentum until around the Ireland vs SA game. It then dropped again and never quite returned. SA winning was never in doubt for me before the first kick of the tournament.

Not sure if the issues were just a bad draw for the pools or the quality itself though.
Imo the issues were simple.

As a travelling fan the tournament wasnt run great, and for the first time I didnt feel the French were very good hosts. There were a spate of stories of violence and crime too. But that wasnt the tournaments problem, that has to come down to world rugby.

Refs have been hung out to dry, every game being left to the mercy of ref perception, and there are just too many obviously unlikable issues at the tackle, breakdown and scrum.

This has led to negative low risk rugby, SA won because they spoiled games. This isnt good for the sport.

This is why I wanted France to win, I wanted to see a team that actually wants to play good rugby win. Because it might encourage other teams to do so.

Back to back by a super Conservative team make me worry how many pt counties will follow that model...

Not trying to take the win from you just offering perspective about why I don't to see it go this way.
Sadly it appears spoiling, and kicking the leather off the ball wins games. SA arent the only ones tho, England and Wales did the same

Bill Beaumont looks small compared to these guys. Just shows how much bigger players are these days.

Jez does everyone get a medal. Even the water boys

SA were clearly feeling the affects of a tough pool and two tough games in the knockout stages. Credit to them that saw it out.

They should give PSTD two MOTM awards. His drive to keep himself going was insane.

A Jones fellow (Eddie) won the World Cup as assistant with South Africa in 2007. South Africa played sublime rugby at that time.
Another Jones fellow (Felix) won this World Cup 2023 as assistant with South Africa. South Africa played awful rugby at times during this campaign.

Make of all this, what you will.

My feed was super slow, I had to quit the forum not to get spoilers lol

congrats SA, the best team in the world, the best team ever in terms of pure winning

Sorry for the ABs really, and especially for Sam Cane, because this is something he will never forget, for the rest of his life

truly a remarcable game, I think NZ has better individualities, but I feel the coaching for the ABs is a step lower than the bokke, now with Robertson it should be crazy scary how good they can be

My feed was super slow, I had to quit the forum not to get spoilers lol

congrats SA, the best team in the world, the best team ever in terms of pure winning

Sorry for the ABs really, and especially for Sam Cane, because this is something he will never forget, for the rest of his life

truly a remarcable game, I think NZ has better individualities, but I feel the coaching for the ABs is a step lower than the bokke, now with Robertson it should be crazy scary how good they can be

I've said before, the All Blacks will be unstoppable with Robertson.

Is this Wayne Barnes last game? I admire him immensely, I don't care about this game, he is a true gentleman

It's the nature of the beast. They win. Doesn't matter how ugly but somehow they have the BMT and know how to eke out a win against better sides.
Yes absolutely, winning is what counts and is what the history books will show. Full marks to them.

Just something I've seen scrolling through the web- Matt Dawson on BBC has just said they're the greatest side ever.

They're absolute a great side, but you can't be the greatest losing to Ireland and beating England by 1 point lol 😂

Kolisi as a double winning captain is pretty special though- he's some 6 when fully fit.

Latest posts