• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC 2023 Final] New Zealand v South Africa 28/10/23 20:00 BST

I thought New Zealand were the better team in the final.

Again, South Africa win by a point!

The Cane card could have gone either way. Pre-tournament that normally is a red. But throughout the tournament they seemed to have been a bit more lenient and looked for any mitigation. I thought yellow was fair, but can also understand red. Feel sorry for Cane. He already gets enough stick from kiwi fans.

This game also confirmed New Zealand are still top tier. I read a few comments that New Zealand were a slight tier below France, Ireland, and South Africa. This should nip that in the bud!

Kind of weird that New Zealand lost the opening game and the final game.

And England ended up winning more games that New Zealand. Yeah, I know England didn't face the greatest competition, but still.

Fair play to South Africa. They beat France, England, New Zealand, and Scotland. So their run this tournament was harder than their 2019 win. And one point games show how close it was.

South Africa have now won 50% of the World Cups they have competed in. Also the first team to win 4 Rugby World Cups. And second team to win back to back Rugby World Cups.

France are a youngish team, and I fancy them to win the next one. Of course a lot can potentially change in 4 years.
Please anyone but SA again

Sorry for all the chest pains neutrals. It ain't going away any time soon.

Gutted…just gutted

Congrats to SA, did what they needed to to win and regardless of any complaints I might have we didn't do what we needed to to win

I don't like fozzie but was definitely hoping I was wrong about his ability to come up with a winning gameplan

Looking forward to a reset next year…but would have preferred to do it with the RWC tucked away

Gutted…just gutted

Congrats to SA, did what they needed to to win and regardless of any complaints I might have we didn't do what we needed to to win

I don't like fozzie but was definitely hoping I was wrong about his ability to come up with a winning gameplan

Looking forward to a reset next year…but would have preferred to do it with the RWC tucked away
Just watching some YouTube videos reacting to result and feel for you,will be supporting NZ in any other game apart from when you play England of course

Imo the 7-1 failed actually despite the win as NZ was close to a scrum penalty in the last minute with a man down and less forwards from the bench.

Frankly I don't understand all this euphoria from the South African side, they should be ashamed of having lifted a trophy that they did not deserve.
In the quarter-final they were tendentiously refereed by Ben O'keefe.
In the semi-final they were tendentiously refereed by Ben O'keefe.
In the final they were tendentiously refereed by Waynes Barnes.

In fact, no one should win this World Cup except South Africa. Rugby is dead.

Frankly I don't understand all this euphoria from the South African side, they should be ashamed of having lifted a trophy that they did not deserve.

Couldn't agree more,glad someone else can see they had officials in their favour

We missed Marx this match. Apart from him, Etzebeth and Am probably we don't have anyone in a world xv but every game two players stepped up and refused to go away. France it was Etzebeth, Kriel and Smith, England was Nche. This match Du Toit. Massive heart. End of an era stuff as we are going into a bit of a rebuilding phase.

This side got there on the back of pure will and experience/wiles and bucked a few trends where better SA sides have fallen short

As proud as I am of our boys NZ should be of theirs as well. Telea was exceptional. I am gutted for Cane in particular. I've always felt that he wasn't the best player, and even if he was better he'd still be in McCaws shadow. always felt almost a little relieved to see his name on their team sheet but to go out like he did is gut wrenching. Technically correct to up it to red perhaps but there was no malice there. Just clumsy. Hope he gets support at home.

I'm expecting France and NZ to lead for the next two years but Ireland and SA should be able to rebuild into 2027. It's not like we will be totally stripped.

Congrats to SA. Some teams have that knack of finding a way to win and they are definitely one of them.

Wonder if the tactical substitution loophole will be closed now. Rugby laws are like tax laws. Loopholes get closed and Rassie finds a way to bend or circumvent the new ones. He certainly keeps WR on their toes.

For the next RWC I'd like to see the following:

1. A more compressed tournament with pool games spread throughout the week (including midweek). This one dragged on for too long and peaked at the QFs.
2. WR need to get the refs/officials aligned with their interpretations.
3. Obviously the seedings locked and draw made much closer to the comp.

Last edited:
Congrats to SA. Some teams have that knack of finding a way to win and they are definitely one of them.

Wonder if the tactical substitution loophole will be closed now. Rugby laws are like tax laws. Loopholes get closed and Rassie finds a way to bend or circumvent the new ones. He certainly keeps WR on their toes.

For the next RWC I'd like to see the following:

1. A more compressed tournament with pool games spread throughout the week (including midweek). This one dragged on for too long and peaked at the QFs.
2. WR need to get the refs/officials aligned with their interpretations.
3. Obviously the seedings locked and draw made much closer to the comp.
All good but 24 teams in 2027 will see even more lopsided games and with a compressed tournament the sides with more player resources will benefit.

I don't want to withhold the exposure of sides ranked lower but perhaps a 16 team format is best with a parallel 12/16 team 2nd division tournament? I don't know. There are pros and cons to all options.

In fairness I think you can only play what's In front of you, you can only play the ref you get

As I say there are things I would like to complain about…but I don't begrudge SA celebrating

Such a depressing final from a Irish(/European) POV. I think the two best teams in the world let the occasion get to them in the QFs. NZ played out of their skin in the QFs and didn't really get to the level today. SA knew how to gamble v France and it just about paid off.

But before I get backlash from that paragraph, the finalists turned up when it counted, that's more valuable than being the best/most dominant/most skilful team in the world when it comes to world cups.

Well done Bokke. You know how to win. I really hope Neinbar makes his stamp on Leinster and Irish rugby over the next decade because we have underachieved for the talent we've produced.

Johnny is out. But he's inspired 15 years worth of talent. We'll be the NH team to end the SH's dominance of this cup, I promise you.
He is probably the best coach I have ever known, what he can do to your defence is scary. The guys is just two steps ahead of everyone else. Nienaber is forever entrenched in SA rugby folklore now.

I embrace the challenge of Leinster with Nienaber though. Game on.

I said a while ago Nienaber is a big upgrade on Lancaster from a mentality pov

Lancaster is good with developing talent but you need that edge and he doesn't have that.

Nienaber does and he knows how to get it in players

I think Ireland will benefit a lot with him and Rowntree's work at province level in the years to come

(Then Rowntree will return home to tigers and we will win the treble)

Its bliss today for the SAFFAS, cant describe what an awesome feeling it is to win the cup after so much years of build up. I am happy and content. Proud of my team, proud of the players, in Rasnaber we trust. PSdT what a player, best in the world.

NZ you gave us such a tight game, always scary to defend against the All Blacks, they really went at our rush defence but we prevailed.

There is always people doubting us, fair play to them, they are allowed, but for our belief and knowing what we as a country put in this, its special.

I watched the final in Amsterdam last night and the streets was buzzing. We were celebrating and shouting Bokke, and you could just hear people from all over the place return the call and shout Bokke!

Still drunk, but want to apologise for how incoherent this is. What a terrible set of paragraphs. This win still hasn't properly sunk in yet… and in all honesty - won't sink in until I start seeing the reactions of the country back home. This means so much to me… but I know how much it means for so many more back home where they need a little something to distract them from the pain and suffering from everyday life. Thank you Springboks for being the shining light once again for the nation.

Was it a game for the record books or the neutrals? No. It was absolutely dire and a slug fest of knockout rugby. But that is where this current set of Springboks with Rassie thrives.

Once again, my condolences to New Zealand supporters. Many ruled you out early on after your pre-game against us and your France game, but you were valiant again today, and could easily have taken that away from us. You remain the team that causes the most anxiety for us and I'm looking forward to our future battles against each other.

I can't believe we got the second win in a row. Thank you Siya and team for pulling it across the line. I look forward to seeing how much this meant to the nation in the morning and the week to come.

Congratulations Jean Kleyn. World Cup Finalist and World Cup Winner on top of your URC win. No one can ever take that away from you. What a 6 month period you've just had.
Disagree that is wasn't a game for the neutrals, somehow only having a minor preference to a NZ win I was gripped nd to a lesser extent felt emotional investment as it got tighter nd the clock was winding down, I for one thoroughly enjoyed it, it's rare to see teams chuck it about in meaningful games like this.

I seen all the WC since 1987. In many aspects, this one was the worst. I can't congrat the winner.
Lots of things have to change if we want to keep the best sport alive.

Latest posts